• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted functions are more ________ than their extroverted counterparts

G

Glycerine

Not necessarily. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Xi is much more prone to have a warped view on reality because it's subjective while Xe can be a bit shortsighted because it doesn't ponder things in quite as much depth since it's externally based.

P

Phantonym

"More" powerful in what way? Should there even be a power struggle between the functions? What does the winner get? Interesting, free entertainment. :popc1:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Obviously, the word "powerful" here is somewhat arbitrary.

I had to choose some word, and with what I did write, I already hit the maximum number of characters for the title of a thread.

But power does point to something, albeit not everything.

In some ways, I think of it like this:

- Ni has a right to look down on Ne
- Ti has a right to look down on Te
- Fi has a right to look down on Fe
- Si has a right to look down on Se

Now, that's not to say that the extroverted functions don't have their own strengths, and that they can't look down on the introverted functions in some way either.

What I am saying, however, is that, on the whole, to me at least (and others I've spoken with), it seems that there's something more, I dunno, substantive about the introverted functions.

Like, they do more, or are more powerful, in some sense, than their extroverted counterparts.

I dunno, just a thought that I believe is somewhat true and not often talked about, and I wanted to see others thoughts and feelings on the matter.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is to a sense saying that all introverts have to right to look down on extraverts. And it is not surprising an introvert would say this as many more introverts do in fact look down on extraverts than vice versa. It could be a justification for an introvert's insecurity. (I lack social skill yet I think before I speak therefore I am better)

P

Phantonym

I don't really know about that "right". Sounds fishy.

People who use Xi as a dominant function might feel that it is more powerful to them and Xe users find the same for theirs.

Maybe a scream you hear in your head is indeed more powerful than a scream you hear from a roof top. But it's all a matter of perspective.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
It is to a sense saying that all introverts have to right to look down on extraverts. And it is not surprising an introvert would say this as many more introverts do in fact look down on extraverts than vice versa. It could be a justification for an introvert's insecurity. (I lack social skill yet I think before I speak therefore I am better)

This is the most obvious counterargument.

But it's simplicity is its fault, in my opinion.

To begin with, I am a very outgoing introvert.

Also, I very much appreciate my extroverted auxiliary function and the role it plays in my life, but I do see it in a similar sense as inferior to its introverted counterpart...

Also, and importantly, see below:

I don't really know about that "right". Sounds fishy.

People who use Xi as a dominant function might feel that it is more powerful to them and Xe users find the same for theirs.

Maybe a scream you hear in your head is indeed more powerful than a scream you hear from a roof top. But it's all a matter of perspective.

But, you see, the other person who feels the exact same as I do about this matter is an extrovert.

She thinks her extroverted dominant function is, in some sense, inferior to its introverted counterpart, but that her introverted auxiliary is, in some sense, superior to its extroverted counterpart.

So...

Back to the original question: is there something more substantive about the introverted form of a function? Something more robust? More, I dunno, deep?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They're more in depth; not more "powerful".

G

Glycerine

^ If that's what you were trying to say, then yes, I agree with your premise. However, in the OP, there seemed to be a notable semantics issue.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say the introverted judging function is better than the extraverted judging function, and the extraverted perceiving function is better than the introverted perceiving function.

Yeah, that's it...

INTPZ RULE!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Depth and breadth, sure. Power is relative.

Introverted functions are also more closely related to the past and values. Extroverted ones are more practical and about the present.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

This is pretty lame.

I definitely see the positives of Fi vs. Fe. I've had thoughts about the introverted vs. extroverted functions. Your application of the basic interesting premise is weak.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
*smack head*

The moment you assume or assert that one function or preference is superior to another instantly shows yourself ignorant and arrogant.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Zarathustra said:

This is pretty lame.

I definitely see the positives of Fi vs. Fe. I've had thoughts about the introverted vs. extroverted functions. Your application of the basic interesting premise is weak.

*smack head*

The moment you assume or assert that one function or preference is superior to another instantly shows yourself ignorant and arrogant.

So neither of you would agree that introverted functions are deeper than extroverted functions?

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Depth and breadth, sure. Power is relative.

Yes. I'd say intro fucntions are deeper and extraverted ones are broader. But both breadth and depth are necessarry. Therefore we all need both our dominant and auxiliary functions. Finding the balance is the key.

It's obvious beause it's true.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since no term was defined, I tried to spin through every non-contextual meaning of powerful that I could think of.

My conclusion is that the answer is always no.

G

Glycerine

Xi is deeper but that does not equate to being superior.