• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted functions are more ________ than their extroverted counterparts

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh my... I leave for a little while and it goes straight to 4 pages... And points I would have liked to say and clarify have already been said...

sculpting

bird seeds lure ENFPs, to get ENTPs you need high powered electromagnets I think :cheers:

Think back to the looney tunes: Road Runner vs Coyote

Okay, you have a point, electromagnets will work on ANY entp. Bird seed works on a select few. But the select few of interest....muhahahaha...

To lure ENFPs you leave them books of pony stickers . Pony stickers WERE ON MY DESK THIS MORNING!!!!! Thank you enfp coworker!! I stuck them on my desk phone.

(P.S. me too.... *insert Fi babble* I open my mouth and nothing comes out <3 )

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, you have a point, electromagnets will work on ANY entp. Bird seed works on a select few. But the select few of interest....muhahahaha...

To lure ENFPs you leave them books of pony stickers . Pony stickers WERE ON MY DESK THIS MORNING!!!!! Thank you enfp coworker!! I stuck them on my desk phone.

(P.S. me too.... *insert Fi babble* I open my mouth and nothing comes out <3 )

Actually, I believe the trick is to mix iron filings with the bird seed, so that whoever consumes the bird seed is affected by the electromagnets.

sculpting

Actually, I believe the trick is to mix iron filings with the bird seed, so that whoever consumes the bird seed is affected by the electromagnets.

well if the bird seed was shiny, the enfps would eat it, so then your electromagnet would catch both enfps and entps. This sounds like an entp invention opportunity...

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
the problem with the introverted functions is that they can become distorted in your head. that's why we need the extraverted functions (for connection and context).

introverted functions can be polished to offer a deep understanding, but they do have their down sides... and so do extraverted functions.

we all need all of our functions and we need each other to offer understanding and make things work better.

so no need to feel bad about your dominant function. we're all needed.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
what do you think about the flexibility of the XE/XI functions, though?

is an E function more flexible than an I function?

G

garbage

more blank than its extroverted counterpart

I'm just glad that the first few posts in this thread have been refined with a better understanding.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
If I had to insert one word into the space in the title, I think that it would be "contemplative". And if the title had asked what extroverted functions were more of, I would go for "pragmatic". Mind you, these statements are about as much use as any one word summary of a complex issue. I mean, Ne is probably more explorative than pragmatic, for a start. Se is experimental.

Certainly, I wouldn't say that either type is intrinsically superior to another. I need my Te. Without it, I wouldn't be able to cope with the world. All my knowledge and insights would be useless, because I wouldn't have any means of sending them into the world. I's be stuck in an Ni-Fi loops, lost in world of self contemplation as I slowly gather dust and become increasingly irrelivant. In fact, I need my Se as well, for what is the value of living without experiencing life? Pitty it's so hard to get a grip on.

Great post, man.

I'm with you on all accounts.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
well if the bird seed was shiny, the enfps would eat it, so then your electromagnet would catch both enfps and entps. This sounds like an entp invention opportunity...

And if one mixed "iron feelings" [sic] with the bird seed, it would catch INTJs ...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No.

The real difference is that Xe is shared, while Xi is kept to oneself. The "depth" is something of an illusion. The truth is that Xi is unexpressed, and it requires effort to perceive it in others. What will happen is that Ni doms appear remarkably insightful, because they don't show how they figured something out, and will quickly change their answer if they learn they're wrong, often without you knowing. Fi doms will appear remarkably wise, because you don't know how much foolishness they kept hidden. Si doms will remember a remarkable amount of detail, but often misremember things and you will be none the wiser. Ti doms can be brilliantly logical, but you'll often not know how many completely stupid ideas they also believe, because they don't express them clearly enough to be evaluated.

Xe seems shallow because it can be publicly evaluated, and thus one's foolishness is visible for all the world to see.

Better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

haha great post, agreed.

Interestingly, I think the forest vs. trees concept that's typically used to describe iNtuition vs. Sensing is actually better applied to extroversion vs. introversion.

Introverted functions get all the nuances of one tree at a time; extroverted functions have the breadth of the entire forest at once, but from much further away.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
^ i agree with your post, but not uumlau's. i don't think that Te is what Ti is. i think they're two different ways to think, not just appear to be different...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
haha great post, agreed.

Interestingly, I think the forest vs. trees concept that's typically used to describe iNtuition vs. Sensing is actually better applied to extroversion vs. introversion.

Introverted functions get all the nuances of one tree at a time; extroverted functions have the breadth of the entire forest at once, but from much further away.

That might hold true for Ti, but I don't think it's necessarily a useful description of all the Xi functions.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
^ i think that's probably not a "whole" description of the matter, but i do believe that it is somewhat true with all the functions.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
^ i think that's probably not a "whole" description of the matter, but i do believe that it is somewhat true with all the functions.

I think one of the terms that has been thrown out is "more narrow".

Which seems to relate, but not 1-to-1, with something I myself have said: "more focused".

So far, the three or four people who have taken up the former description have all been Ti or Fi dom's or aux's...

As an Ni dom, I find it problematic, because, relative to Ne, Ni doesn't lose the forest for the trees.

Ne is running around looking at all the different trees, while Ni is sitting back, focusing from whatever level of distance it chooses to.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
^ lol, you know... you might not like this, but i could notice from your last post that you were talking from your POV ;)

completely understandable, though. :p

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
^ lol, you know... you might not like this, but i could notice from your last post that you were talking from your POV ;)

completely understandable, though. :p

It's the only point of view I got!

sorta...

:jew:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think one of the terms that has been thrown out is "more narrow".

Which seems to relate, but not 1-to-1, with something I myself have said: "more focused".

So far, the three or four people who have taken up the former description have all been Ti or Fi dom's or aux's...

As an Ni dom, I find it problematic, because, relative to Ne, Ni doesn't lose the forest for the trees.

Ne is running around looking at all the different trees, while Ni is sitting back, focusing from whatever level of distance it chooses to.

You're awfully unaware of the limitations on Ni, aren't you?