• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Talking about yourself in....

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a friend who likes to talk about himself in 3rd person point of view. When he describe what he's going to do in the future or what he did in the past or even present action he's pre-occupied with, he says his name rather than saying I or my to describe himself in the sentence. Is this prevalent in any type or is just a manifestation which unique from person to person regardless of type?

veins

Does he add ~la to the end of his sentences as well? It could be cultural. Maybe. Or a quirk that he has or made for himself.

KDude

lol.. ~la is usually said by only girls though (in hk or singapore)

hmmm i heard in socionics enfjs might talk in third person. doubtful, but fwiw and all that.

veins

Seriously???? I think one of the rules of the internet got inverted on me...

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Some people like to act 'cute'. It's weird though.

Ming thinks it's really stupid la~.

-cringes- Urrrgh.

Snow Turtle

No la~
You too sian la ~

Sorry. Couldn't resist. =/

Edit: I don't think it's so odd that he talks about himself in 3rd person when refering to the future/past since it's kind of like telling a story. Sometimes when I use my friend's names when asking them questions; but it's only when I'm feeling like doing the whole narrative voice.

He takes it one step further though using third person in present time....

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I sometimes talk in the third person too and I'm no enfj, what's wrong with that?

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Sometimes, I think about myself in the third person.

But I never refer to/talk about myself in the third person - That's just weird.

It does seem like an ENFJ thing, for some reason.

G

garbage

It's the worst thing in the entire world that anyone can do

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I didn't really noticed it until my other co-workers started having an inside joke about it (I worked with mostly ISTJ). I've known the dude four years prior to working in said company. Not that it's a problem, but i tried using it in a conversation and it was a bit awkward. I was just trying to see where he's coming from.....I asked him but he just laught it off. I guess he didn't think it a bit odd lol.

Sometimes, I think about myself in the third person.

But I never refer to/talk about myself in the third person - That's just weird.

It does seem like an ENFJ thing, for some reason.

I think about myself in 3rd person point of view in my head as well. In fact my dream consist of me watching myself doing the actions outside my body and It never seemed to occur to me that I'm dreaming :doh:.

Does he add ~la to the end of his sentences as well? It could be cultural. Maybe. Or a quirk that he has or made for himself.

Nope, he doesn't use la.

MBTI Type
INxJ
No idea. Speaking in the third person is similar to not taking ownership of yourself on a conversational level.

G

garbage

No idea. Speaking in the third person is similar to not taking ownership of yourself on a conversational level.

Holy crap. I never thought about this, but it's an interesting perception with some fundamental truth to it :popc1:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are lots of possibilities (most not mutually exclusive):

• The speaker is just trying to be cute.
  • The speaker is claiming objectivity and denying subjectivity by taking on the tone of an omniscient 3rd-person narrator.
  • The person is (perhaps ironically) drawing a distinction between their real self and their persona. Celebrities sometimes do this.
  • Taking a philosophical view, and realizes that the unity and consistency of the self over time is, in part, an illusion.
  • The person is mentally ill in some sense.

I would guess "going for cute" in most cases.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a friend who likes to talk about himself in 3rd person point of view. When he describe what he's going to do in the future or what he did in the past or even present action he's pre-occupied with, he says his name rather than saying I or my to describe himself in the sentence. Is this prevalent in any type or is just a manifestation which unique from person to person regardless of type?

I think it's a manifestation of narcissism. At least when someone does it all of the time. It's like the person thinks they're this epic entity.

Also, in smaller doses, it makes people sound like Elmo.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's a manifestation of narcissism. At least when someone does it all of the time. It's like the person thinks they're this epic entity.

Also, in smaller doses, it makes people sound like Elmo.

You might be right. He is full of himself which don't really bother me much since he is good at what he does. I don't think he notice it, but alot of my co-workers (ISTJ) really hates his attitude. He's humble about it but I think it just comes off as arrogant which people notice as a slap in the face. I think he's an ENTP. Not sure.

Alot of comic character villains talk about themselves in 3rd person point of view. Thanos comes to mind.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
How do I know you're not talking about youself?

Errr...because I used "my friend" instead of "I." I will admit that I do suffer from narcissistic thoughts (delusion of grander..you know the usual). However, I often dismiss it because I have not really done anything worth bragging about nor are there any indication otherwise. So, i'm always puzzle when people think that they deserved something based on potencial or a feeling. But, Forzen does not talk about himself in 3rd person point of view because it feels awkward.

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
Err No it was a joke. Because you said they reffered to themselves in third person. Nevermind...