• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Book On Typology

What is your favorite book on typology?

• Please Understand Me

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Gifts Differing

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Personality Type An Owners Manual

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Type Talk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Principles of Typology

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Psychological Types (Jung)

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Type Talk at Work

• Please Understand Me 2

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Beside Ourselves

• Introduction to Type and the Eight [8] Jungian Functions (MBTI) - Hartzler

• Other - Please Specify

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is your favorite book on typology or MBTI and why do you think it is the best?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll vote for Lenore Thompson - best combination of depth, insight, and practicality.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess none of them are very good based on the pathetic lack of votes

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think Monkey Zoo would be a good title of a book that has yet to be written on the subject. Because really when you think about it most humans are not much different than monkeys.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My favorite was Psychological Types. I did not like Lenore's book, and Please Understand Me 2 was good, but Keirsey should not have adopted MBTI nomenclature at all. Just leads to confusion; he bases his types on observable behavior and language, while MBTI uses the cognitive function model.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'll vote for Lenore Thompson - best combination of depth, insight, and practicality.

Wasn't a fan. Basically just because I hate the functions lasagna analogy. I fucking hate lasagna.

I guess none of them are very good based on the pathetic lack of votes

The amount of members who have actually read any of these books is probably pathetic too. Far easier to take an online test and then be a pro.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They pretty much all suck equally.

Lotr246

In my opinion, Thomson's is for sure the best. :yes: I've never read clearer or more refreshing descriptions of the types. Everything about the INFJ description resonated with me. And it's great for explaining unhealthy types and the ways one can engage in all of his or her functions. I think if anyone is skeptical about typology, then they should read this one.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Until I read Thompson, I always thought Gifts Differing was the best. Anybody else a fan of this book?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Until I read Thompson, I always thought Gifts Differing was the best. Anybody else a fan of this book?
I thought the stats were interesting. Overall, a bit insubstantial and fluffy.

All the pop culture references in Thompson's book get on my nerves a bit, but there is more depth around cog func usage and development than I've encountered elsewhere.

I have a few others you haven't listed:

Do what you are: Tieger & Tieger (career-focused)
The Art of Speed Reading People: Tieger & Tieger
Just My Type: Tieger & Tieger (relationship focused)
I'm not Crazy I'm Just Not You: Pearman & Albritton
Survival Games Personalities Play:Eve Delunas

All kinda meh. The last one is the most interesting of the bunch.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the stats were interesting. Overall, a bit insubstantial and fluffy.

All the pop culture references in Thompson's book get on my nerves a bit, but there is more depth around cog func usage and development than I've encountered elsewhere.

I have a few others you haven't listed:

Do what you are: Tieger & Tieger (career-focused)
The Art of Speed Reading People: Tieger & Tieger
Just My Type: Tieger & Tieger (relationship focused)
I'm not Crazy I'm Just Not You: Pearman & Albritton
Survival Games Personalities Play:Eve Delunas

All kinda meh. The last one is the most interesting of the bunch.

Gifts Differing fluffy? Really? I always viewed it as concise and insightful when compared to everything else - until the last five years or so when more has come out.

On SW's book - I thought it had some of the best type descriptions I've ever seen. It was really a very good book IMO. On the critique side - there are some typos and it looked like he may have gotten a little lazy with the the INFJ description. There may be some opportunity for a bit of editing.

"Do what you are" is pretty good for what it is. "Speed reading" didn't do it for me. "Survival games" - just realized I have this and have never read it. Thanks!

Yes, I've read a lot of these.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gifts Differing fluffy? Really? I always viewed it as concise and insightful when compared to everything else - until the last five years or so when more has come out.

On SW's book - I thought it had some of the best type descriptions I've ever seen. It was really a very good book IMO. On the critique side - there are some typos and it looked like he may have gotten a little lazy with the the INFJ description. There may be some opportunity for a bit of editing.

"Do what you are" is pretty good for what it is. "Speed reading" didn't do it for me. "Survival games" - just realized I have this and have never read it. Thanks!

Yes, I've read a lot of these.
Fluffy in the "everyone's a special snowflake" NF kinda fluffy.

I always want more substance and theory.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wasn't a fan. Basically just because I hate the functions lasagna analogy. I fucking hate lasagna.

The amount of members who have actually read any of these books is probably pathetic too. Far easier to take an online test and then be a pro.

Love lasagne IRL but didn't like the analogy either. The stuff on the shadow functions seems pretty speculative to me though it's a reasonable attempt.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Carl Jung's Illustrated Big Book of Types for Children (Edition 1)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really don't know what people see in Psychological Types. It seems worth reading from a historical perspective and understanding the origin of the ideas but it not very practical reading.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I really don't know what people see in Psychological Types. It seems worth reading from a historical perspective and understanding the origin of the ideas but it not very practical reading.

I find its highly technical presentation and language far more accessible to my own thought; like MLF I don't like the fluffy, pop culturey language that plagues most of these books, which tend to take on a "self-help" vibe. I prefer an analytical focus.

Not to mention, Thomson's book was just garbage. She had so many "This is a typical XXXX thing to do" followed with a specific instance that could apply to anybody. And I almost set the book on fire when, upon reading the description for INTP, she said [I'm paraphrasing here] INTPs have difficulty in school because it's an Extraverted Thinking institution and they don't like too much abstract reasoning. WTF!?!?!

wolfy

awsm
Carl Jung's Illustrated Big Book of Types for Children (Edition 1)

I have the NZ edition. Carl Jung's Illustrated Big Book of Types for Tamaleki (Edition 1)

Though my personal favourite is Type the Whanau with Carl Jung.

ObliviousExistence

MBTI Type
loco
Enneagram
5W4
the one and only, Psychological Types by C. G. Jung. Almost every other typology book is based on his ideas and theories. I wouldn't waste my time on any other typology book. Every Tom Dick and Harry is making a book on typology by trying to capitalize on Jungs work by purporting to clarify or systematize his theories.