• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any function more of less useful than others?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
What are your opinions? Would the world fall apart, if for example, Fe became extinct, or there was a global ban on Ni?

Have fun with this one!

G

Glycerine

N is the most useless. :D However when a culture is thriving, it rocks. I was gonna say Fe but I think the world would be in total chaos without it. The most useful is probably Si.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think Fi is probably the most useless. And both of the intuitive functions

G

Glycerine

It's ironic how two N types say that the most useless are the N functions. ;)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think your question is based on a Te definition of "useless", so it's hard to give a meaningful answer.

It all depends on what seems useful to you.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From a Darwinian approach, all of them would be useful. Without a variety of functions, it would decrease the overall survival of the population. You never know when each function might come to good use.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Any function more of less useful than others?

What are your opinions? Would the world fall apart, if for example, Fe became extinct, or there was a global ban on Ni?

Personally, no, when it all comes down to the bigger picture. If you use the functions in the area and manner they were designed for, they can be extremely effective. A function only becomes problematic when the individual demands it to perform tasks beyond their scope. We can't have strengths without weaknesses (i.e the "good" does not exist without the "bad") and I think there's more you can do with a team of varied talents/faults, than a team who's 'well-rounded' in every department. The latter promises consistency, but the former can develop extraordinary products if they collaborate on a higher synergistic level.

If one function fails in delivering the results, then use another function as the support crew, or the leader. Maybe the first guy has a really great idea, and he only needed someone who's grounded enough to bring that into a reality. Together, the dreamer and pragmatist showcase their best work, leading to a unique project that neither could achieve by themselves.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Absolutely no function is useless. They all serve some purpose to humanity or another.

I think Fi is probably the most useless. And both of the intuitive functions
This, in particular, is stupid. Without Ne we'd still be living in caves and fishing fire out of trees.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Absolutely no function is useless. They all serve some purpose to humanity or another.

The question wasnt which is useless, it was which is MORE useless relative to others. If you want to insult a thread you might want to read what its about first and take a moment to mull it over.

This, in particular, is stupid. Without Ne we'd still be living in caves and fishing fire out of trees.

So Ne WOULDNT be your answer. Im glad I know that.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your mama's function.

EDIT: Honest answer. In the absence of any of the functions humans become dysfunctional and society goes to hell in a hand basket. With that, I find it hard to say if there is really any that is less useful.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I reckon the extraverted functions are the most useful.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's like asking if any color is better than another. :p

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The question wasnt which is useless, it was which is MORE useless relative to others. If you want to insult a thread you might want to read what its about first and take a moment to mull it over.
I understood the question, but it's unanswerable. All functions are more or less equally useful in their own way.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By definition, Fi is the most useless function. Fi double checks for anything that is simply unconscionable, regardless of cause/effect, results or bottom line "success".

Almost by definition, Fi is the function most opposed to being useful. So now we must ask, how useful is the "unconcionable alarm system"? I think its rather easily replaced by properly functioning Fe and Ti working together...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By definition, Fi is the most useless function. Fi double checks for anything that is simply unconscionable, regardless of cause/effect, results or bottom line "success".

lol no. Define Fi.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Almost by definition, Fi is the function most opposed to being useful. So now we must ask, how useful is the "unconcionable alarm system"? I think its rather easily replaced by properly functioning Fe and Ti working together...
Without Fi we have no sense of self. We have no sense of enjoyment, nor most of what makes us human.