• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type C Genome Project

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a special interest in genetics and personality type. I believe they are directly correlated, largely through my observations and experiences being adopted from birth, and having found my biological mother when I was nearly an adult, followed by recently connecting with my paternal side of the family. I see a close relationship in my children's types and my husband's and my type as well. I prefer to go by cognitive functions, but it's not really necessary; you can use mbti preferences and still see a depiction of how type play out in inheritance.

I invite you all to post your parents' types (use an educated guess, and if you are not sure, please use a 'x' to specify that) and your own type. If you have older children, it would be interesting to see that relationship as well.

Here is mine:

My biological mother is an INTJ and my biological father (according to my brother who is most likely an INTP) was an ESFJ. This easily explains my Ni/Fe, my two most utilized functions. My adoptive mom is an ISTJ and my adoptive dad was an ESTJ, and my adopted sister is an ISFP. Although I was raised around all that S, I am nothing close to sensory oriented, with the exception of Si, which I use fairly well when it comes to understanding how I'm feeling in my body--being able to physically feel and locate accurately the origin of sensations in my body. I attribute this most likely to my father's Si.

My husband's mother and father are: ISFP/ESTP respectively. My husband is ISTP. He gets his Ti/Se from his father, but he is very Fe as well, relative to a typical ISTP.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my family was an S/N split

mom- ISFJ
dad- INTP
sis- ENFJ
me- ESTP

for further-

mom's mom- ESFJ
mom's dad- ISTJ

dad's mom- ESTJ
dad's dad- ESFP

and for their siblings :devil:

mom's sisters- ISTJ, ENTJ, ESFP and ESFJ
dad's siblings- ENFP and ISTP

is that enough info? :newwink:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I thought we were all going to give DNA samples or something ;)

How deep do you want to go? siblings / parents / grandparents? Our own children too if we have them? Sibling's children?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My family is all incredibly N except for my big sister. She's got bipolar disorder, though, so i'd not attach a type to her. She's the only one with any form of mental problems, and they aren't that severe.

Mom: INFJ
Dad: ENTP

Big brother: ENTP (like a straight-up copy of dad. Looks, voice etc)

Big sister: XXXX (all depending on the ups and downs) from ISFP to ENFJ. Definite F, tho.

Me: INTJ

Little Sister: INTJ

Three Ni-doms in the family isn't a coincidence. 4/6 are NT. 1 NF and a possible NF.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Heh I've always wondered about this too. I'm skeptical about there being strong genetic links to personality, however (and usually I'm the one arguing for the biological reason). Personality seems to be so malleable in response to one's environment, especially in the early years of life, so a strong genetic tie seems unlikely. I'd hypothesize that N/S would be the most heritable trait, however.

How well-versed are you in genetics? There's more to it than just basic dominant/recessive inheritance. Don't be too quick to make assumptions in your analysis.

Also, even if you see a strong correlation among one's type and one's parents' types, that doesn't necessarily indicate that the relationship is due to genetic factors. It could be due to environmental factors at that point (except obviously not in cases like yours, AGA).

Oh, and I think there's another thread that posts family types too, so you can get more data there.

Anyway, here's what I know of my family's types:

Mom: INFP (very very introverted...Fi/Si loop)
Dad: ISTJ (pretty functionally balanced, even down to his inferior Ne)
Mom's father: INTJ (also very functionally balanced, down to his inferior Se)
Mom's sister: ISFP
Mom's mother: ENFP (very strong Ne/Fi. tert Te and inf Si are very weak)
Half-brother: (same dad): xNTP (his mom is ESTJ)
Me: ENTP (strong Ne/Ti, but very weak Fe/Si...but I've still got some growing up to do)

I don't really have much information for my dad's side of the family. Sorry.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
This is interesting when looking at the functions, hmmm.

Myself - INFJ

Dad - ISTP
Mom - ESTP
Brother - ESTP

Ex husband - ESTJ
Son - ENXP

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Oh, I also have information for a good friend's family:

Friend: ENTJ
Mother: ENFJ
Father: ENTJ
Brother: ENTP
Mom's mother: ISTP
Dad's sister: ESTJ
Dad's brother: ESTP
Mom's sister: ESFJ

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Mom's Mom-IXXJ
Grandpa Mom-ESXP

Dad's dad-ISTJ
Dad's mom-ISFJ
Dad brother- ISTP

Mom- ISFJ
Dad- ISTJ

I'm an INFJ, my sib is INTP.

There tends to be a lot of disconnect between us and our parents. :alttongue: , Sib and I get along swimmingly, though.

P

Phantonym

There are no intuitives in my family and close relatives, I'm quite certain of it.

Me - INFJ
Mom - ISFJ
Dad - ISTJ
Brother - ISTJ

Dad's father - ISTJ
Dad's mother - ISFJ

Mom's mother - ESTJ
Mom's father - ISTP
Mom's sister - ESFP

G

garbage

done this 100 times, but I can and will do it again :popc1:

Me: ENFP
Dad: ENTP
Mom: ISFJ
Sister: ESFJ
Half-brother (dad's side): ENTJ

sculpting

AA I would suggest paying close attention to Ni/Se patterns-ie INTJ/ISTP dads/sons. Also Fi/Te combos-ENFPs having INTJ children.

Also-skipping of generations? Every single grandkid in our family matches to a grandparents type. All of the middle generation tentitively match to the great grandparants, although there is much error there.

In our family there were no Ti, Fi, Te or Fe doms anywhere-until my sister married an ESTP-with an Fe dom mom. My sis popped out an Fe dom daughter.

Those are the trends I have seen.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ That's odd... My paternal grandfather was an INTJ. I even look like him a lot.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my immediate family is all Fe-Ti people... :thinking:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Mom: ISTJ
Father: INTX (leaning towards INTJ with some INTP tendencies)
Sister: ISFX

Clearly, I inherited most of my NTness from my father.
My family is also quite Jish, so I am the only P.

Was quite INTX until I read Mao's biography (who I find myself quite similar with) and astrology, which made me more assertive and confident and more E(NT)P.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
my mom- XSFP
my dad ISTP
me INFJ

mother-in-law IXTJ
father-in-law ISXP
husband INTP
sister-in-law ESFX

our kids:
INTJ girl
INFP girl
ISTJ boy
INTP boy

Edit: I have two brothers, but we all have different dads. FWIW they are ESXJ and ISTX, I'm guessing.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mom ixfp (thought infp for a long time, then wondered isfp but I kinda think she is infp after all - she is certainly VERY impractical but to a degree living in the moment also - more like fluttering from one panic to another)

dad xNTx (I think he's ENTP or less likely, ENTJ but he thinks he's INTJ)

me: istp
sister 1: isfp
sister 2: exfp - leaning towards s but I don't know her very well
sister 3: infx - I think infj. possibly intp but I don't think so.

edit: I think my maternal grandfather was istp, though it's hard to tell in older people. Possibly intp or intj.

So are you gonna analyze all the results somehow? We've had a bunch of these threads over the years but no real conclusions, I'd be interested if there were trends. In the past it's seemed like some families have strong trends but others have completely unrelated types (esfj --> intp seems common, for example)

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
ME: ISFJ
MOM: INTP :crazy:
DAD: ISTJ
SISTER : ESFJ

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
Father: INTJ
Mother: ESFP
Sister 1: ESFJ
Brother: ENTJ
Sister 2: INFJ
Me: ENTP

In other words, I'm the only sibling that doesn't have 3 letters in common with at least one parent, although all 3 men in the family are NTs. Mother and father are opposites.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I, Claudius: ENTP
Father: EsTJ
Mother: ISFJ

Sisters :
ISTP
ExFJ (I lean toward ENFJ)

Brothers:
iNTP
ENTP

I'm the youngest, then my istp sister is 4 years older and all my other siblings are 12 to 15 years older than me.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my family was an S/N split

mom- ISFJ
dad- INTP
sis- ENFJ
me- ESTP

for further-

mom's mom- ESFJ
mom's dad- ISTJ

I find the balance pleasing between parent's traits and children's traits, until here:

dad's mom- ESTJ
dad's dad- ESFP

:huh: Where does your dad's Ti and Ne come from? It looks like his ISTP bro got the Ti too:

and for their siblings :devil:

mom's sisters- ISTJ, ENTJ, ESFP and ESFJ
dad's siblings- ENFP and ISTP

I thought we were all going to give DNA samples or something ;)

Need a magazine? :doh: wait.

How deep do you want to go? siblings / parents / grandparents? Our own children too if we have them? Sibling's children?

Whatever you feel like. :)

Heh I've always wondered about this too. I'm skeptical about there being strong genetic links to personality, however (and usually I'm the one arguing for the biological reason). Personality seems to be so malleable in response to one's environment, especially in the early years of life, so a strong genetic tie seems unlikely. I'd hypothesize that N/S would be the most heritable trait, however.

I disagree emphatically, mainly because I see firsthand in myself just how different I am from my adoptive family, and how similar I am to my biological family. I have naturally always been curious as to what traits I exhibit that my biological parents also exhibit(ed, but bio dad passed away quite a while ago, but I've become acquainted with my half brother). Even though they are in very early stages of studying behavioral genetics, it looks like studies are corroborating what I know to be true from my own experience:

The molecular genetic architecture of human personality:
beyond self-report questionnaires

RP Ebstein. Department of Psychology and Scheinfeld Center for Genetic Studies in the Social
Sciences, Mount Scopus, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel and Research Department,
S. Herzog Memorial Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel

Molecular genetic studies of personality began with two high impact papers in 1996 that
showed provisional associations between the dopamine DRD4 exon III repeat region and
Novelty Seeking/Extraversion. These first two reports were shortly followed by an investigation
linking Neuroticism/Harm Avoidance with the serotonin transporter (SLC6A4) promoter
region polymorphism (5-HTTLPR). In the ensuing decade, thousands of subjects have been
studied for association between these genes and personality, assessed by using self-report
questionnaires, with erratic success in replication of the first findings for Novelty Seeking
(DRD4) and Harm Avoidance (5-HTTLPR). Small effect sizes characteristic of non-Mendelian
traits, polygenic patterns of inheritance and true heterogeneity between studies confound
attempts to reach a consensus regarding the role of common polymorphisms in contributing
to personality domains. Nevertheless, the current state of personality genetics is far from
being bleak. Several new paradigms especially functional neuroimaging or ‘imaging genomics’
have strengthened the connection between 5-HTTLPR and anxiety-related personality traits.
The demonstrations that early environmental information can considerably strengthen and
even uncover associations between genes and behavior (Caspi’s seminal studies and more
recently the demonstration that early environment impacts on DRD4 and Novelty Seeking) are
notable and herald a new era of personality genetics. Finally, consideration of the broader
phenotypic expression of common polymorphisms (e.g. the ‘social brain’, altruism, etc.) and
the use of new experimental paradigms including neurophysiological, neuropsychological and
computer games that go beyond the narrow self-report questionnaire design will enable a
deeper understanding of how common genetic polymorphisms modulate human behavior.
Human personality, defined by Webster as the quality or state of being a person or the complex
of characteristics that distinguishes an individual, surely requires a more encompassing view
towards understanding its complex molecular genetic architecture.
Molecular Psychiatry (2006) 11, 427–445. doi:10.1038/sj.mp.4001814; published online 14 March 2006

How well-versed are you in genetics? There's more to it than just basic dominant/recessive inheritance. Don't be too quick to make assumptions in your analysis.

Basic biology courses, and one genetics course at Texas A & M (which was pretty good), so, yeah, I understand it goes beyond dominant and recessive. We carry a lot of information in us that never is revealed, yet gets passed along. Do you have a genetics background?

Also, even if you see a strong correlation among one's type and one's parents' types, that doesn't necessarily indicate that the relationship is due to genetic factors. It could be due to environmental factors at that point (except obviously not in cases like yours, AGA).

How do you mean?

Anyway, here's what I know of my family's types:

Mom: INFP (very very introverted...Fi/Si loop)
Dad: ISTJ (pretty functionally balanced, even down to his inferior Ne)
Mom's father: INTJ (also very functionally balanced, down to his inferior Se)
Mom's sister: ISFP
Mom's mother: ENFP (very strong Ne/Fi. tert Te and inf Si are very weak)
Half-brother: (same dad): xNTP (his mom is ESTJ)
Me: ENTP (strong Ne/Ti, but very weak Fe/Si...but I've still got some growing up to do)

I don't really have much information for my dad's side of the family. Sorry.

Matches up nicely, doesn't it?

This is interesting when looking at the functions, hmmm.

Myself - INFJ

Dad - ISTP
Mom - ESTP
Brother - ESTP

Ex husband - ESTJ
Son - ENXP

Very interesting! It would be fun to know your grandparents' types to see where you get your intuition and feeling.