• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let's talk about Keirsey

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you, I surely how the MBTI folks react to my posts in a manner reminiscent to how Oil-drilling companies responded to the researchers' forewarnings regarding global warming.

Is it that grave? :sadbanana:

:yim_rolling_on_the_

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
On the topic of Keirsey, why are we supposed to listen to him? I have always wondered where his authority came from. If Newton stood on the shoulders of giants, why should we bother standing on the shoulders of midgets?

I am not saying he is useless, because to be honest he has never interested me enough for me to examine his work carefully, so I may have overlooked some stuff, but can someone vouch for him?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What sort of implementation?

We commonly use typology to predict human behavior or to advise people regarding how they should relate to others. If we'd like for our advice and predictions to be accurate, it is important that our understanding of typology and personality theory is accurate. To give you a simple example, if we'd like to understand what 'introversion' tells us about somebody's personality, we'd be well advised to refer to research in psychology or sociology rather than Keirseyan folk typology.

On the topic of Keirsey, why are we supposed to listen to him? I have always wondered where his authority came from. If Newton stood on the shoulders of giants, why should we bother standing on the shoulders of midgets?

I am not saying he is useless, because to be honest he has never interested me enough for me to examine his work carefully, so I may have overlooked some stuff, but can someone vouch for him?

We read Keirsey for the same reason we read Rick Warren, Sogyal Rinpoche, Rhonda Byrne and a countless number of other eloquent authors of self-help books that are permeated with undying optimism and approbation for their readers.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
We read Keirsey for the same reason we read Rick Warren, Sogyal Rinpoche, Rhonda Byrne and a countless number of other eloquent authors of self-help books that are permeated with undying optimism and approbation for their readers.

Phew! Okay, for a second there I thought you didn't respect his scholarship!

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Phew! Okay, for a second there I thought you didn't respect his scholarship!

I don't, but I do admire his ability to write articulately and present superficial and confused ideas as important truths.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't, but I do admire his ability to write articulately and present superficial and confused ideas as important truths.

Haha yeah I got that, you were pretty clear. Still, I wish the truth tasted more like Keirsey.

Jaguar

I surely enjoy observing the MBTI folks reacting to my posts in a manner reminiscent to how Oil-drilling companies responded to the researchers' forewarnings regarding global warming.

The Ice Age is coming, again. Run for your life before it's too late.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The Ice Age is coming, again. Run for your life before it's too late.

My friend, you've already agreed with me in another thread that folk typological generalizations applied to large groups of people are undesirable. I do not understand the purpose of your satire.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Because you're asexual?

I'm in a satisfactory heterosexual relationship, what was disturbing is that you've interpreted a simple humorous 'thank you' as a come on. If this is how you think, I truly have deep concerns about your ability to separate your fantasy world from reality and hope that as few forum readers as possible share your reasoning habits.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm in a satisfactory heterosexual relationship, what was disturbing is that you've interpreted a simple humorous 'thank you' as a come on.

Humorous was the key word, I think this was her intention, not to disturb or otherwise perturb.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in a satisfactory heterosexual relationship, what was disturbing is that you've interpreted a simple humorous 'thank you' as a come on. If this is how you think, I truly have deep concerns about your ability to separate your fantasy world from reality and hope that as few forum readers as possible share your reasoning habits.

Was it as disturbing as folk typology or global warming?

Frank

Seriously though, I think SW has started to develop the "dark" side. If that were the case we would now be in the presence of a philosophical behemoth. No bullshit.

Jaguar

My friend, you've already agreed with me in another thread that folk typological generalizations applied to large groups of people are undesirable.

My friend? If the underbrush of pretense gets any thicker I may need a machete.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My friend? If the underbrush of pretense gets any thicker I may need a machete.

That depends on how you define 'friend', if you take it to mean something of relational significance, than yes, the characterization is false, if you take it to mean an attitude of goodwill, my utterance contained no pretense or falsehood. I suspect that the hostility in our past exchanges was mostly one-sided and thought that it came to an end after I requested a deletion of my old vituperous posts. Since at the time you believed that I retained my old views, your disparaging commentary was understandable, yet now its altogether uncalled for. I therefore still do not understand the purpose of your satire in this thread.

Was it as disturbing as folk typology or global warming?

You're far out of line.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
:hug: I do love it when we all get together like this, Papa Keirsey would be proud.