• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni foresight

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was talking about typology with a friend, and he raised a lot of questions. I immediately added that I'm not an expert of jungian types. After our discussion, I've left some things unanswered.

Like this one.

If somebody has strong (dominant or auxiliary) Ni, does it make his premonitions, visions and metaphors more accurate, or simply more frequent?

Am I able to "sharpen my Ni" by using it a lot? Does Ni-dependence automatically grant a Ni dominant better foresight compared to those who are able to use Ni, but are inclined to use it less frequently?

How do I evade Ni "delusions"?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I want visions! Teach me how to get accurate visions!!! :D

Nah, seriously, I have no idea. You guys operate on a different plane than I do, I think....:huh:

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
The functions only provide an urge to think/act in a particular way. Skill follow on from those actions/thoughts, not from the functions that caused them. Those skills then improve with use. Having a strong function of a particular type will usually cause someone to practice skills (indirectly) associated with it, but environmental factors are always present.

Personally, I don't have "vision", I just get ideas. If I started getting visions, I'd go see a psychiatrist.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YAY I have ideas, too! :D Not always good ones, but ideas nonetheless. :D

Query: What exactly is meant by the word 'vision'?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
:headphne:
YAY I have ideas, too! :D Not always good ones, but ideas nonetheless. :D

Query: What exactly is meant by the word 'vision'?

I think in relation to Ni, what he means is strong ideas about how the world could be made to be, or how events might unfold if left to their own devices.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I think vision might not be the right word here. It's language-related stuff again. Will respond later.

ETA: New title.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I think vision might not be the right word here. It's language-related stuff again. Will respond later.

ETA: New title.

I meant no disrespect. Your command of the English language is impressive. I just wanted to understand what you mean. :hug:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those skills then improve with use. Having a strong function of a particular type will usually cause someone to practice skills (indirectly) associated with it, but environmental factors are always present.

What skills are you referring to, in case of Ni? And how does practicing these skills reinforce Ni? Does it even?
I still think it's the function most beyond our control.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
What skills are you referring to, in case of Ni? And how does practicing these skills reinforce Ni? Does it even?
I still think it's the function most beyond our control.

Practicing skills does not reinforce functions. A function may encourage you to develop a particular skill, but its something of a oneway process. A skill cannot change a function. However, a desire to do something outside the normal range of your primary is representative in and off itself a lesser function coming to the fore. Thus it is endulging the desire to try thinking in a new way that develops the function, not whatever skill it is you are practicing!

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Rationality ;)

Different points of view generate different rationalities and each one of them is legit from their particular view, so perhaps next time you answer you should establish which frames you are addressing.

And these frames are built upon information said perceiver has acquired at the given time of the structure of a rational thought.

For an example.

Person A knows that 1+x=6
Person B knows that 1+5=z

A knows the answer and calculates what he assumes to be the hidden yet expected answer of X to be 2.5x2 (except that in math there's the frame of reference of one digit etcetera etcetera.)

B knows the question and calculates what he thinks may be the answer to this question = 6.

Now, I know this is obvious and shit but it kinda bugs me sometimes when people scream at eachother, "THINK RATIONALLY" and yet they're aware of the possibility that both parties actually are, just with different sets of information.

don't flame me ... please? *puppy eyes*:blush:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
You certainly can improve your intuition. Try thinking about a problem but not forming an immediate conclusion. Keep adding elements to it. Keep making the 'equation' bigger, but don't 'decide'. Don't use logic (because it's a surface-level skill, and is very useful for many problems, but not here). let the idea steep for 24 hours.

Let the answer bubble up, or explode in a eureka! moment.