• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pi = Judger, Pe = Perceiver; why?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
It's skipping the auxiliary to work on the tertiary that results in an unbalanced dom+tert loop, not use of the tertiary itself (which is not inherently unhealthy.)

Could you also explain more clearly the characteristics and qualities of this "loop".

I understand what you mean intuitively, but I'd like to see some of that Ti draw it out a little more clearly.

:jew:

Jaguar

I don't have a problem with Sensors; I just think it's funny when someone with tertiary/inferior Ni lectures INTJs about "seeing the big picture"...He implied that the reason we're not understanding him is that he's "zooming out to the big picture" but the rest of us aren't...which I find unlikely.

It might be "funny" or "unlikely" to a dilettante like yourself, but it's not funny to those more experienced like Linda Berens and Judy Robb.
And don't weasel out of it by claiming only Tert Ni. We both know you mean any SP.

Big Picture - Many Artisans-SPs are interested in the big picture.

Full article here:
How to tell iNtuiting from extraverted Sensing | Interstrength Associates

For the record, Sim, you have no way of knowing what functions poki has developed, and that includes his Tert.
Your constant reference to people's function orders as rigid absolutes serves no purpose, but to stymie personal growth and understanding.

I have news for you, there are some Jungians who think the Dom/Aux have the same attitude. Yeah, you read that right.
So while some are having pissing matches about the Tert's attitude, there are people who don't even think the Dom/Aux is carved in stone.
Just because a single theory is more well-known than others, doesn't mean it's accurate.
Just because a single theory is used more than others, doesn't mean it's accurate either.
There are many different theories, yet you cling to only one - like Linus and his little security blanket.

And as far as your other comment about ENTPs having the same weaknesses,
what is a weakness of yours could be a weakness of any human being.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like it.

And I know this is not exactly your cup of tea, but what would you think of a shadow function used... ok, fuck it. I'm just gunna be specific, cuz this question obviously is based off my own experience:

If you think an INTJ could combine Ni and Fi in a healthy manner, then what do you think of an INTJ using Ni and his Ti shadow in conjunction with one another? Assuming he is able to access both his Ne and Ti to a degree relatively similarly to that of a tertiary function? (Just play along, Sim...:wink:)

It's possible, but I think the "assuming that..." part at the end makes it improbable. Most people have trouble with the tertiary as it is, so accessing the tertiary's shadow is going to be tough.

None of this shadow function stuff is impossible; it's just that it's our natural cognitive tendency to try to approach most problems in terms of the ways we are most used to (and thus most comfortable with) solving problems.

Maybe shadow function access is a little easier for Ni doms, since their dominant perspective is in itself an extended effort to avoid being retrained to singular perspectives (and perhaps thus explains your fixation with asserting the strength of your NTP functions). I still find Ti-related mistakes routinely in a lot of NTJ reasoning...you guys just always have a reason Ti's opinion doesn't matter. ;)

The frustrating part is I know you guys get it on a deep level, especially in terms of the abstract concepts (probably even better than we do), but you refuse to define anything clearly before it's become empirically verified--simultaneously a strength and a weakness. It's like you guys understand what we're getting at but won't grant our models validity until shown Te-quality proof, which is sometimes advantageous (when the NTP model turns out to be wrong) and sometimes not (when NTP was quicker than you to make up an articulable explanation and start trying, and happened to get it right.)

To be using Ne+Ti, you would need to really understand the value in understanding one precise set of conditions in as much total clarity as possible with no regard for the external applicability of that understanding, for no reason other than that the relationships that make up its internal structure are aesthetically appealing. NTJs always seem to skip a lot of the potentially interesting information in their search for that which can be externally applied--hence your frustration with NeTi's spider web thinking.

Te: "How is this relevant or useful to my goal of increasing understanding of the topic we STARTED on?" They don't care about understanding every structural detail of one precise set of conditions if those conditions will never actually happen--Te would rather have a wider, more encompassing idea that applies in a wide variety of useful contexts than an absolutely perfect, crystal clear understanding of one hypothetical context that may not ever apply to anything.

But Ti wouldn't. If it's structurally appealing, we study it because that's fascinating.

Sorry, did that get a little off topic? Surely your Ne will understand :)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
In the case of this thread, it may have been pilot error, but I'm beginning to suspect Russian conspiracy. Or Iranian (Persian?)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It might be "funny" or "unlikely" to a dilettante like yourself, but it's not funny to those more experienced like Linda Berens and Judy Robb.
And don't weasel out of it by claiming only Tert Ni. We both know you mean any SP.

Well I actually said "tertiary (or inferior?) Ni" in my post to Poki, so that was no secret. I just wrote tertiary this time because he seems more likely to be ISTP to me, but sure, inferior too. I'll go ahead and say that I rarely see an SP yield Ni more effectively than an NJ, though it is theoretically possible.

Full article here:

So? A lot of SJs are interested in American football. That doesn't make them any good at it.

For the record, Sim, you have no way of knowing what functions poki has developed, and that includes his Tert.
Your constant reference to people's function orders as rigid absolutes serves no purpose, but to stymie personal growth and understanding.

You're correct, Te--I do not have any way of holding absolute empirical certainty about which functions poki has developed. I guess all I can do is go by the fact that the average SP has much weaker Ni than the average NJ, coupled with the fact that I haven't seen any particularly impressive Ni in poki's posts.

And I've lost count of how many times I've explained to you that I don't believe rigid function orders describe everyone accurately. Have you read my posts in this thread?

Here goes Te again, insisting that no information is useful until empirically measured and quantified.

I have news for you, there are some Jungians who think the Dom/Aux have the same attitude. Yeah, you read that right.
So while some are having pissing matches about the Tert's attitude, there are people who don't even think the Dom/Aux is carved in stone.
Just because a single theory is more well-known than others, doesn't mean it's accurate.
Just because a single theory is used more than others, doesn't mean it's accurate either.
There are many different theories, yet you cling to only one - like Linus and his little security blanket.

I don't think shit is carved in stone. I think there are widely accepted interpretations which can be used in argumentation to further develop my personal model...of course, further developing or otherwise restructuring my model is, I understand, dishonest and lazy in Te+Fi land.

I'm just so very tired of addressing this. I know you understand what I mean; you just refuse to grant any Ne-oriented idea potential validity, and believe TeNi to be an objectively superior approach. Neither of us is going to bend on this; it's an immutable difference in perspectives, just let it go already.

It's like you just deliberately refuse to engage in Ne-oriented thought. I get it, you think Ne is invalid, great.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here comes the self-righteous rant about how thinking I'm full of shit doesn't indicate that you think Ne is invalid, right?

Nevermind that you apply this nonsense to every Ne and/or Ti idea you encounter. At least half of your posts consist purely of ranting about how stupid Ne and Ti are; you just don't realize you're saying the same shit and that it all ties into the same played out theme: you think Ne/Ti reasoning is stupid and unsubstantiated.

And you presume yourself so open-minded and perceptive. Why can't you perceive that the vast majority of your disagreements with people here are just you talking shit about non-NTJ perspectives?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

Full article here:

I like when Jaguar actually offers something substantive.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He'll be the first to point out that preference =/= skill.

I don't stick to my current model because somebody told me to; I stick to it because it seems the most intuitively applicable to explaining what I observe in the people around me. It's that simple. My model isn't based on popularity; it's based on my own observations and their consistency with existing theory.

If you recall, Jag, as you so often love to remind me, I was the one promoting a four-function model for several months, which is supported by zero authors and almost no one on the forum, and you think I'm trying to win a popularity contest? :huh:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've been wondering lately about the overall foundations of the theory, how consistently it applies, and would like to see more open minded dialogue on different perspectives. There seems to be a bit of group think on the forum which I noticed the first week or two after joining but got used to it. It is worth understanding the alternative or dissenting views and I'm not sure that a competition to prove who is right is the best way to dialogue on these matters.

Jaguar - for example, I'm interested in what you're saying here. Do you have links to more information?

Jaguar

So? A lot of SJs are interested in American football. That doesn't make them any good at it.

And claiming to be ENTP doesn't make you good at anything either.
That includes seeing the big picture.

I don't think shit is carved in stone. I think there are widely accepted interpretations which can be used in argumentation to further develop my personal model...of course, further developing or otherwise restructuring my model is, I understand, is dishonest and lazy in Te+Fi land.

There you go again - MY MODEL. As if there is only one. More rigidity.

I know you understand what I mean; you just refuse to grant any Ne-oriented idea potential validity, and believe TeNi to be an objectively superior approach. Neither of us is going to bend on this; it's an immutable difference in perspectives, just let it go already.

Ne? Son, yours is dead.

For as long as I have known you, you have put up walls to exclude theoretical possibilities.
Because in that head of yours, you don't think it's "logically consistent."
Welcome to the real world, pal. People are not logically consistent.
I, as opposed to you, am wide open to all possibilities regarding the human psyche.
I don't think there is just one model.

It's like you just deliberately refuse to engage in Ne-oriented thought.

Look in the mirror and say that. Then you will be accurate.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And claiming to be ENTP doesn't make you good at anything either.
That includes seeing the big picture.

translation: Ne is stupid

There you go again - MY MODEL. As if there is only one. More rigidity.

translation: Ti is stupid

Ne? Son, yours is dead.

For as long as I have known you, you have put up walls to exclude theoretical possibilities.
Because in that head of yours, you don't think it's "logically consistent."
Welcome to the real world, pal. People are not logically consistent.
I, as opposed to you, am wide open to all possibilities regarding the human psyche.
I don't think there is just one model.

translation: Ti is really, really stupid

"My model" = the collection of information I have thus far. It's a dynamic model that changes with new information. It includes information from different existing models along with my own experiences.

Look in the mirror and say that. Then you will be accurate.

I don't suppose this sounds familiar to you?

The peculiar disconnect that nearly always happens between NTJs and NTPs. From the NTJ's standpoint: "He seems awfully attached to his model, as if it's the only possible one. There are so many possibilities he hasn't ruled out. His argumentation is simply unfair: he is choosing observations to stack the deck to favor his interpretation over all others. He seems oblivious to the complexity of the subject. He does not seem to know what he's doing."

From the NTP's standpoint: "I'm trying to point things out and draw distinctions in order to define a vocabulary that carves out some aspect of the subject matter. That would be forward progress. But he refuses to look. He keeps translating everything I say into some moronic vocabulary that he's already familiar with, where what I'm saying is a trivial goof. He seems completely stuck in his box."

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

True.

But that doesn't mean he's not right.

No one said anyone's certain about any of this stuff.

And, honestly, I've seen poki post a lot, and what Sim said certainly seemed accurate to me.

I've thought this about Sim at times too; but if you read some of the stuff earlier in this thread (that he wrote yesterday, I think), you'll see that he's more open to exceptions than one might, at first glance, believe.

Furthermore, while I'm all about opening things up to other perspectives, there's also something refreshing about Sim's ability to provide the rational skeleton around which reality seems to be distributed.

He's pretty good at it, and just cuz you don't like the idea of perspectives being excessively closed off in this manner (which, interestingly enough, pertains to one of the original points of this whole discussion, since you're supposedly a J and he's supposedly a P, and, according to most comments in that discussion earlier, Js are supposedly the ones who want to close things off and Ps are supposedly the ones who want to open them up...), that doesn't mean he's not good at pointing to that underlying skeleton around which reality dances much of the time (although, perhaps he does so more often than appropriate [and, obviously, he does so more often than you would like]).

Yeah, well, just cuz there's a lot of alternative theories, it doesn't make them true, nor the "mainstream" one false, either.

Yeah, but it could also be a weakness that ENTPs are prone to.

In fact, it could be both at the same time.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
The frustrating part is I know you guys get it on a deep level, especially in terms of the abstract concepts (probably even better than we do), but you refuse to define anything clearly before it's become empirically verified--simultaneously a strength and a weakness. It's like you guys understand what we're getting at but won't grant our models validity until shown Te-quality proof, which is sometimes advantageous (when the NTP model turns out to be wrong) and sometimes not (when NTP was quicker than you to make up an articulable explanation and start trying, and happened to get it right.)

NTJs always seem to skip a lot of the potentially interesting information in their search for that which can be externally applied--hence your frustration with NeTi's spider web thinking.

I defend your thinking against Jaguar, and then you have to go writing things like these...

:doh:

It's a wicked web we weave...

To be using Ne+Ti, you would need to really understand the value in understanding one precise set of conditions in as much total clarity as possible with no regard for the external applicability of that understanding, for no reason other than that the relationships that make up its internal structure are aesthetically appealing.

Well, to be honest, I'm more interested in how I use Ni and Ti together (I would say that I engage in highly advanced spiritual thinking that is likely a combination of Ni and Ti, not Ni and Te).

I'm also potentially interested, although less so, in how I might use Ne and Te together (although I think it would be hard for me to distinguish between Ne+Te and Se+Te [I think I might use one of these two combinations when I drink excessively, not quite sure which]).

I haven't really put much thought into using Ne and Ti together.

Given all of the above, that's why my question was about Pi and Ji and Pe and Je functions working in tandem, even in cases in which one of the two is a shadow function.

(Btw, I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said that the two shadow functions that I believe I use are relatively close in strength to my tertiary, but I'm not sure... I was referring to Ne and Ti being of relatively equal strength/maturity as my Fi... it seemed like you might have thought I was referring to my tertiary shadow function...?)

Jaguar

translation: stupid

a_closed_mind_is_a_dangerous_mind_bumper_sticker-p128148162460733368trl0_400.jpg

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I defend your thinking against Jaguar, and then you have to go writing things like these...

You understand that it's not about allegiance right? For sim especially not, but for you especially so it seems. There's nothing I read in that that constitutes a personal attack.

You're committing the logical fallacy of the false dilemma. ("If you are not with us, you are against us.") And as subject matter, typology / MBTI cannot tolerate "black and white thinking" either. So you have to let yourself be comfortable with a lot of grey; a lot of opposing ideas.

sim has his construct and he defends it vociferously (and rather well, I might add); but he's not as close-minded as Jag makes him out to be. Jaggy just likes to poke him with a stick on a regular basis to try to ensure he stays humble and honest.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

If I've perceived the motivation for this behavior incorrectly, it would be more helpful for you to explain why that is.

Well, to be honest, I'm more interested in how I use Ni and Ti together (I would say that I engage in highly advanced spiritual thinking that is likely a combination of Ni and Ti, not Ni and Te).

I'm also potentially interested, although less so, in how I might use Ne and Te together (although I think it would be hard for me to distinguish between Ne+Te and Se+Te [I think I might use one of these two combinations when I drink excessively, not quite sure which]).

I haven't really put much thought into using Ne and Ti together.

Given all of the above, that's why my question was about Pi and Ji and Pe and Je functions working in tandem, even in cases in which one of the two is a shadow function.

I don't know, exactly. I guess I would expect the non-shadow function to get a lot more emphasis. What do you think Ni+Ti or Ne+Te together looks like when developed well? And can these two work well together without a comparably strong balancing influence from a function of opposite orientation?

(Btw, I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said that the two shadow functions that I believe I use are relatively close in strength to my tertiary, but I'm not sure... I was referring to Ne and Ti being of relatively equal strength/maturity as my Fi... it seemed like you might have thought I was referring to my tertiary shadow function...?)

Oh, I see. I am not really sure how the strengths of shadow functions compare to the tertiary/inferior. I suspect that we tend to unconsciously vent negativity via the tertiary and inferior, but that we can build some sort of comparatively small competence in the shadow functions through deliberate training and repetition. Most people don't force themselves into this sort of situation though, because it's uncomfortable. I think use of the tert/inf is probably more comfortable than any shadow because that seems to be most people's preferred method of venting frustration--it comes out without any real effort, even if frequently in a negative way. The shadows seem to require a much deliberate shift of focus.

I doubt that we can sustain use of shadow functions for very long periods of time.

SolitaryWalker argues that the shadows of the tertiary and inferior are actually stronger and more natural than the tertiary and inferior themselves. I'm not sure I agree with that, but it does support your idea that you could use Ne/Ti at least as competently as Fi.

I think it's really hard to distinguish the use of the tert/inf shadows from the primary functions figuring out how to expand their skill sets, though. I don't have a complete answer for the dynamics of shadow functions at this time. You may be right.

So, what can you recommend?

Jaguar's advice is simple: Don't be an NTP.