• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Type isn't about who you are

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
It's about how you act.

Get it straight, yo.

369fe087f2546414e13c62eff9f1adb1.wix_mp

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
how i act is who i am

why would you act in a manner separate from how you are?

as people, isnt how we act a large part, if not a leading role in who we are?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Wrong. I act like an 8 and think like an ENFP. If anything Enneagram is about how you act. MBTI is clearly all about cognition. Try to type me irl as ENFP if you don't believe me (unless you get to know me reeaaaally well).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say that it's more about what you choose personalitywise and what you prefer... your type is a factor of your psychological PREFERENCES... not saying that you DON'T have the other personality aspects... it's just that those aren't the ones that you tend to have developed and favor. We all start out with some naturally stronger and develop that over time, though I think that it's perfectly possible to develop the strength of other functions over time and with experience :)

G

Ginkgo

The OP was not deeply thought out. I think we're in shallow water, and I can clearly see the sharks of fallacy swi - AHHGG *gurgleeggege*

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
how i act is who i am

why would you act in a manner separate from how you are?

as people, isnt how we act a large part, if not a leading role in who we are?
Exactly.

Wrong. I act like an 8 and think like an ENFP. If anything Enneagram is about how you act. MBTI is clearly all about cognition. Try to type me irl as ENFP if you don't believe me (unless you get to know me reeaaaally well).
The same type can have all kinds of extreme variants, true, but ultimately you're not gonna act apart from the natural flow of your default personality, not if you're fairly developed and mature at least, and usually even if you aren't.

And once again, I don't subscribe to MBTI.

The OP was not deeply thought out. I think we're in shallow water, and I can clearly see the sharks of fallacy swi - AHHGG *gurgleeggege*
I don't really mean that type isn't an indicator of who you are, I just mean that the differences lie mostly in the realm of action and action-related thought patterns. It has nothing to do with a vast number of other things about you, like IQ, integrity, morality, spirituality or what kind of shirt you're gonna wear or what flavor gatorade you prefer, like alot of people would have you believe.

Also, your logo FTW. :D

I want pancakes.
You win. :rock:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
The problem I'm seeing is this: people are all, "I know I act like an ENFP but what if I'm reaaaaallly an ESFP!??!?" and all agonizing over it.

The fact is, if you act like an ENFP, you probably ARE. There are few exceptions to this principle. What's this elusive sense of identity apart from how you act? Like, "But I'm all into bright colors and shit and I like watching dancing performances sometimes!!!! And I TOTALLY know what it's like to love that free-as-the-wind feeliiiiing! WOOOO!"

JTG is an ESTP, no bones about it. It's fun to pretend he's an ISFJ, though, to screw with the MBTI monster. :2ar15:

And all these famous people typings are always WAY off. Instead of typing people by their actions, everyone's trying to get inside their heads. It just doesn't make any sense. Actionless thoughts aren't even distinct enough to distinguish, how can you base someone's whole personality off of them? :thinking:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
can I be an ESTP like you, I need access to certain exciting emoticons...

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Sure! Just take a gander at the picturesque panel to the right side of your text input box there, and you'll see tons of gnarly little guys just ready for the plucking. Click a few, and BOOM! you'll immediately be an ESTP by association in action. :newwink: :D

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think extraverts are much more inclined to act as exactly who they are, than introverts.

Extraverts tend to act then think, thereby revealing their true selves. Whereas the introvert thinks and then acts, where they have a chance to decide whether and how they will act. Us devious introverts don't always behave "as we are".

G

garbage

What we do is a huge component of who we are--or, at least, our actions reflect our personality--though it's not the whole story.

It's just the most obvious facet of who we are, and so it's the one that 'shines through' when we look at personality psychology. :)

KDude

Sometimes the line is blurred when I think in terms of action. I could probably resemble a hard assed STJ in some ways, depending on mood and threats to safety. Bad drivers endanger me and can aggravate me enough to care about rules.. people who owe me money and don't deliver on the expected date piss me off... I'd appreciate punctuality instead. Because I like money. Not necessarily because I like rules. The gangster kids on my street piss me off in general, because they make my environment dangerous.

OTOH if things are going well, I'm easy going and less concerned about "violations" or chaotic behavior around me. And that's how I essentially want to be. It's not my fault that some other assholes are provoking different actions. I'd say those actions are mostly uncharacteristic.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
How we act (behave) is not always congruent with who we are.
How we act depends greatly on the situation we are in.
Take at work for example..
Or how about this.. I don't like to steal. However if I haven't eaten for 6 days and my immediate future holds no prospects for income.. I just might consider stealing something.
Action is the greatest indicator of who a person is, but knowing why someone is acting a certain way can change everything.

I would also add.. what a person won't or doesn't do, speaks louder about a person than what they will do.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can't 'act' and think that's who you are, if that's what renegade's saying. That's not you, that's a fake ego that you've built to hide yourself.... ah fuck it, I'm just gonna agree with Jag. :D

KDude

I would also add.. what a person won't or doesn't do, speaks louder about a person than what they will do.

Good point..

Despite some of the J actions, I'm unbelievably P by what I won't do. I think some of the J just comes out only out of concern for safety and well being. Some procedure is necessary. Most is optional. :cool: