• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help figuring out your type?

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP
8w9

Some say this is uncommon. IS IT?
Also, once Brendan said I was an S, but I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not. AM I an S?
By the way, I'm more giddy than usual right now..*needs human contact*

*NEEDS*

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would like a bit of human contact, too. When an INTJ says that, you know they've been alone a while.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
actually, i just got back from a dinner party thingy =D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well, if it's any help, Ni causes people to make huge mental leaps to a conclusion without receiving much data. And when asked how they arrived to that conclusion...that idea or association...they haven't the foggiest.

I agree with the Ni mental leaps... I have to disagree slightly with the absolute lack of awareness between associations. You just need to work at being observant of your thoughts... for me in particular, flashing images/concepts. I go from A -> B -> -> C. For example, bird (image of a bluethroat) -> blue throat patch, blue feather -> UV reflective -> insect (image of butterfly, then a bee), reference to flight and UV reflective wings/UV detection -> flower (UV photograph of a flower), showing patterns guiding pollinating insects to the center of the flower -> bullseye target (rings of circle) -> parachuter (sky diver aiming for a target), in comparison to bees to a flower. There are always "logical" connections, but most of them are made in the unconscious mind such that unless you actively pay attention you'll miss the signs. So as long as you remember the process, you can usually go back and figure out what prompted your thoughts.

Ne to me is a lot more about actively identifying patterns in things/ideas. It's typically visual for me. Lay things/ideas out on paper... scribble on it and see the pattern emerge. Sit there and stare at something long enough to point the pattern. Perhaps because it's not my dominant function. But one is about searching for patterns within ideas (Ne) the other is about using existing mental "patterns" connections to link up other ideas (Ni).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But one is about searching for patterns within ideas (Ne) the other is about using existing mental "patterns" connections to link up other ideas (Ni).

That's probably a good way to say it... at least, I like it.

Ne takes the patterns that exist within things. It's almost like cause/effect or "real" patterns that anyone could observe. Everything follows.

Ni seems to have a much more personal element to it. The connections often are internalized ones that wouldn't be true for everyone. I know I can see something and my mind will jump from thing to thing based on traits that aren't necessarily connected, and like those word games where you change one word letter by letter through a whole series of words in order to reach a completely different word at the end, I can end up someplace that WAS connected but isn't related to the first concept at all, via the normal Ne thing.

(This leads to embarrassing moments where someone will say something serious or neutral, and I'll start laughing... because I jumped through three or four connections in a second and ended up at someplace humorous, to me, internally, and they of course didn't see where I went, so I have to explain.)

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
That's probably a good way to say it... at least, I like it.

Ne takes the patterns that exist within things. It's almost like cause/effect or "real" patterns that anyone could observe. Everything follows.

Ni seems to have a much more personal element to it. The connections often are internalized ones that wouldn't be true for everyone. I know I can see something and my mind will jump from thing to thing based on traits that aren't necessarily connected, and like those word games where you change one word letter by letter through a whole series of words in order to reach a completely different word at the end, I can end up someplace that WAS connected but isn't related to the first concept at all, via the normal Ne thing.

(This leads to embarrassing moments where someone will say something serious or neutral, and I'll start laughing... because I jumped through three or four connections in a second and ended up at someplace humorous, to me, internally, and they of course didn't see where I went, so I have to explain.)

That happens to me all the time. I'm always being inappropriate (at a lecture or during a tour or something like that) because I've gone the connection route and I'm totally laughing because of the connections I've made in my head and no one else is there with me. I generally wind up saying...nothing I was thinking of something else. (that only works if the initial thought wasn't to serious).

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
Hi, im somewhat familiar with MBTI, and im trying to decide between INTP and INFP.

How do INTP's usually approach emotions?, is it possible to be a highly sensitive/emotional NT?

How do INFP's usually approach logic?, is it possible to be a highly detached, logical NF?

Any thoughts?

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi, im somewhat familiar with MBTI, and im trying to decide between INTP and INFP.

How do INTP's usually approach emotions?, is it possible to be a highly sensitive/emotional NT?

How do INFP's usually approach logic?, is it possible to be a highly detached, logical NF?

Any thoughts?
I think it's possible : ) I mean NT doesn't mean you don't have emotions, it just means one tends to think through them rather than feel through them : ) Im not sure about the NF part tho since i'm an INTJ, but good luck! oh, I do think that NFs tend to think things are more subjective esp INFPs so objective things such as types of logic might not be as appealing, but an INFJ might be willing to approach logic etc from a more detached perspective...lol but I'm not really sure hopefully someone else can shed some light :)

oh and hEy everyone HEY!! What do you think my type is!!?! huh! hUh!? I'm pretty sure it's INTJ but mAYbeee I'm wrong?!?! :static:

:p

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Is anybody else uncertain about type or have any questions to ask concerning typology in general?

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP

Any thoughts?

Let it sit for a time and then consult your gut.

You ever flip on a coin on a choice that you can't seem to make, only to find that when it lands 'heads' you realize all along you were leaning towards 'tails'?

I think it's like that.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I thought I made it clear in my first post that I don't care enough to make it into a big overanalytical mess. I just wanted to be entertained.
Several highly intelligent, likely ISTPs I've come across have either typed as INTPs, have shown behavior or cognition similar to that of INTPs, or both. Exceptional sensors seem to display characteristics associated with other types.

As for the rest of the thread: I wouldn't doubt that SolitaryWalker/SeaWolf is an INTP. Fortunato appears to be an INFP. Sundowning, whose INTPc name escapes me at the moment, is either not an ISTP -- he's far too discreet -- or further confirms the aforementioned. Kuranes would be, I think, proof that INTPs can eventually develop useful empathy.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Several highly intelligent, likely ISTPs I've come across have either typed as INTPs, have shown behavior or cognition similar to that of INTPs, or both. Exceptional sensors seem to display characteristics associated with other types.

As for the rest of the thread: I wouldn't doubt that SolitaryWalker/SeaWolf is an INTP. Fortunato appears to be an INFP. Sundowning, whose INTPc name escapes me at the moment, is either not an ISTP -- he's far too discreet -- or further confirms the aforementioned. Kuranes would be, I think, proof that INTPs can eventually develop useful empathy.

Perhaps instead of calling Fortunato an INFP, we can run him along the lines with Kuranes and say that he, as a mature INTP, also has developed empathy, and can use his Fe so proficiently as to make it appear to be his primary or auxiliary function? (And only appears like an INFP because his introversion made his feeling faculty seem internally focused)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I can definitely see why some people would mistake me for INFP. (I have had to ask all the same questions of myself, for years. It's nothing new.)

The dirtiest and quickest way to see the difference is to drop me in a room of INFPs and see how I interact with them. It becomes clear early on that I do not operate the same way most of them do.

I think I also have some similarity to INFJ -- I test very high in Ni (almost as high as Ne) and I present Fe very well, except that if you know me at all, you'd laugh at the thought of me being a J. It is SOOOOOO not me! Seriously. I can't find closure to save my life.

And... while I hate to throw this one in... but now that you know about my transgender issues... does that help explain any of the anomalies that you might have noticed previously in my type?

(And in regards to that, I know it was just a slip, but could you stick with "Jennifer" when you refer to me, at least while you are here at MBTIc? I think everyone has figured things out by now, and it would help me tremendously. Thank you. :) )

Am I not considered to be an INTP now?

Oh, you're a vulcan, dear. Although I guess that's often lumped in as the same thing. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Moved Gender-Related Discussion Analysis here.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
DUDE, half a week ago I retook that test, and I crossed into the realm of J-ness by ONE. *checks temperature*