• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

List, in order, the MBTI type that resonates most with you

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Curious: I've noted the same thing. INFJs in real life seem to like me very well, even though we approach things with slightly different priorities. Online, the tertiary Ti seems to kick in and not a few are easily offended by remarks that were never intended to insult. I don't get this "easily offended" vibe from all online INFJs, just a few.

As for affinities, in no particular order ...

No real affinity for INTJ - I understand them very very well, but there's not much to make a connection with, which is what you get when two anti-social people try to be social. However, when I click with an INTJ, it really clicks until we get bored of each other.

High affinity for xNFP - They shine so brightly, even if the world is somewhat less orderly after they pass by.

I'm also rather partial to xSFP - Genuinely warm, often good dancers.

xNFJ - I like and respect, especially in real life. I always feel welcome in their presence, and many such people seem drawn to me. Online, as I mentioned above, some self-declared xNFJs seem to be a bit pricklier. I believe my Mom was INFJ.

xNTP - very cool and fun to talk with, especially in real life. Not so fun to work with, and online conversations get muddled.

ENTJ - I understand 'em but it's kind of like INTJs, I usually don't want to spend time being buddy-buddy with 'em. Kind of the opposite of xNTPs - great to work with, as communications are always clear, but not so fun to shoot the breeze with.

ESTJ - Not as bad as you might think (from an intuitive's perspective)

ESTP - Also not as bad as you might think. *waves at Whatever* :hi:

ISTJ - I usually mistake these folks for INTJ, until I'm exposed long enough to get the underlying S vibe.

ISFJ - the real life ones I know of are sweet, but I don't have a good sample size.

ESFJ - I married one, and am now divorced. I don't dislike her, and I truly did love her, but in spite of very similar values and interests, communication difficulties killed it.

ISTP - fairly cool online, remarkably annoying in real life (at least the ones I know); no good way to resolve disagreements.

I shall now close with a disclaimer: type has nothing to do with whether you like people. It really doesn't. We like people for other reasons. Type comes into play as people get closer, and communications are trickier, less formalized. MBTI types can help you work around the communication difficulties if you let it, and you are the one who decides to adapt to the other's mode(s) of communication. And it doesn't matter if you have an ideal match, like ENFP with INTJ: you won't necessarily like each other, you won't necessarily share any interests, you won't necessarily understand each other. Rather, if you like each other, the MBTI types will help guide your understanding of each other.

I really like how you described your preferences. And I like your final distinction about how mbti helps you work through communication difficulties. I've definitely found that to be true, more than any sort of discrimination. In fact, if new friends or family don't subscribe to the MBTI thing, I sort-of get bummed because I know that they won't quite know my nuances, or understand them, nor appreciate how well I know them, like they might if they understood personality typing.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I sort-of get bummed because I know that they won't quite know my nuances, or understand them, nor appreciate how well I know them, like they might if they understood personality typing.

Love that line.

I don't use it much socially, but since I'm the MBTI geek at work, I get a lot of flack because I take it further than that test they administer to everyone.

So they laugh, but I'm the one who sees the ENTP's 'randomness' as more ideas ability, less as him being a freak, or spacey.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ
INTJ

XNTJ
ENTJ
INTX
INTP
ISTJ

Wow, what a great illustration of Ni's penchant for exploring and accumulating a diverse array of perspectives...:rolli:

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
16 ENTP

I think the model governing this thread lists the types in descending order, from most preferable to least preferable, not ascending order from least preferable to most preferable. I'll overlook your negligent error though...just this once.

Fecal McAngry

What Quinlan says: :)

I took "resonate" to mean when I'm reading a post or whatever and I'm thinking to myself "yeah they really get it!" ("it" being some obscure indefinable something), it's a vibe, like you're on the same wavelength.

That's...useful, but still not specific enough for me. There are, of course, different kinds of being on "the same wavelength."

For example, I just finished a project with an INTP female, "Y". She was extraordinarily kind & generous to me--in my experience, INTP women usually and inexplicably treat me wonderfully--and we got along swimmingly, with me appreciating her level-headedness & work ethic, and she amused by my chronic insouciance & irreverence...Great person. Love her to death. Probably a LT friend. No romantic attraction at all.

Yesterday I received a scathingly funny email from an INTJ female I know, "F," a dear friend I had a fling with way back when. Interactions with her are far more charged, in every sense of the word. For good and for bad. Our rapport is more fickle and our interactions more precarious, yet I feel infinitely more alive in her presence...

FWIW, If I had to generalize, very broadly, I find I generally "resonate" most easily with iNtuitives whose extroverted function is N or T and with whom I differ on at least one letter...

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP
INXX
INTJ
INFP
INFJ
ENTP

And everyone else iz phail.

Permabanned
I don't resonate with types. I resonate with people. Some people. Sometimes.

Like uumlau said, type may be a helpful tool, in a specific context, for communication, perception or understanding. Type plays a role in how one's mind matrix is constructed, which may include what information is discarted or stored, and why, based on an interaction between the existing content in the mind and the new information being processed by the type engine.

It may be helpful on becoming more insightful of the drive or bias, in ourselves and in other people. It may even go as far as enabling us to revise our existing perceptions of the world, and rebuild some or all of our mind matrix.

In all, the amount of resonance between two people will depend on the amount of existing synergy, either for conscious/unconscious and/or biased/unbiased reasons.

Good luck.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really like how you described your preferences. And I like your final distinction about how mbti helps you work through communication difficulties. I've definitely found that to be true, more than any sort of discrimination. In fact, if new friends or family don't subscribe to the MBTI thing, I sort-of get bummed because I know that they won't quite know my nuances, or understand them, nor appreciate how well I know them, like they might if they understood personality typing.

The curse of the INxJ is that while we are supremely good at understanding ... we will rarely, ourselves, be understood.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don’t think I’ll be able to produce a list of which ones “resonate” most with me from most to least. A bit tricky. But I can provide you with the following categories, if it’s interesting:

Types which have tended to yield my close friendships/relationships: INFJ and ISFJ, but to a certain extent probably all IxxJ types. The closest friends I can think of whose types I know or am pretty sure of are INFJ and ISFJ. My mom is INTJ, and my brother probably ISTJ, and while I don’t always see eye to eye with them I love them a lot and generally we get along well. Not so sure about my dad but I think he is most likely ISFJ.

Types which intrigue me a lot, but where friendships/relationships have mostly either proved somewhat problematic, or just haven’t materialized: ESTP, ISTP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP.

Types which I have definitely had quite a few of in my circle of friends and acquaintances, but I feel it’s never likely to go beyond a fairly superficial (even if warm) connection, because we don’t understand each other enough: ESFJ, ESTJ, ISFP.

Types which kind of annoy me both in theory and in practice: ESFP (sorry guys, but it’s generally true).

I know I’ve left out a few, but those are the main trends.

EDIT: The above refers specifically to IRL. In terms of what I've experienced on this site, a lot of the INFJs resonate with me a great deal, but some seem too self-absorbed. (perhaps I do too, not sure!!). Some of the ESTPs resonate with me a surprising amount because they just seem to cut through all the crap. I guess the INFPs resonate to a certain extent, some of them seem a lot like the INFJs.

I'm afraid the NTs very often come across as quite arrogant. Sorry to generalize like that, but there you go.

Snow Turtle

1st Lot: ISFJ - INFJ - [ISFP - ISTJ] - INTP - INFP

2nd Lot: INTJ - ENTP

3rd Lot: ISTP - ESFP - ESFJ

4th Lot: ENFJ - [ESTJ - ENTJ] - ESTP

It should be noted that while I identify with ESFJs (Si and Fe) the reversal just makes it seem a little odd. Overall, there's a clear pattern that I identify most with auxillary Fe users first followed by Feelers with the exception of INTP and ENTP because I identify strongly with the Ti culture.

Before I had met my ESFP friend. I would have placed them right at the bottom with the ESTP. Guess it depends on what aspect they place more focus on.

To make sense of the data a little more...

Si > [Fe Ti] >> [Fi Ni] >>>> Te >>>>>>>>> [Ne Se]

That's how I roll. Perhaps it'll explain my MBTI resonation preference

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don’t think I’ll be able to produce a list of which ones “resonate” most with me from most to least. A bit tricky. But I can provide you with the following categories, if it’s interesting:

Types which have tended to yield my close friendships/relationships: INFJ and ISFJ, but to a certain extent probably all IxxJ types. The closest friends I can think of whose types I know or am pretty sure of are INFJ and ISFJ. My mom is INTJ, and my brother probably ISTJ, and while I don’t always see eye to eye with them I love them a lot and generally we get along well. Not so sure about my dad but I think he is most likely ISFJ.

Types which intrigue me a lot, but where friendships/relationships have mostly either proved somewhat problematic, or just haven’t materialized: ESTP, ISTP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP.

Types which I have definitely had quite a few of in my circle of friends and acquaintances, but I feel it’s never likely to go beyond a fairly superficial (even if warm) connection, because we don’t understand each other enough: ESFJ, ESTJ, ISFP.

Types which kind of annoy me both in theory and in practice: ESFP (sorry guys, but it’s generally true).

I know I’ve left out a few, but those are the main trends.

EDIT: The above refers specifically to IRL. In terms of what I've experienced on this site, a lot of the INFJs resonate with me a great deal, but some seem too self-absorbed. (perhaps I do too, not sure!!). Some of the ESTPs resonate with me a surprising amount because they just seem to cut through all the crap. I guess the INFPs resonate to a certain extent, some of them seem a lot like the INFJs.

I'm afraid the NTs very often come across as quite arrogant. Sorry to generalize like that, but there you go.

Wow. I could totally have written this myself, down to the INTJ mom, but I think my brother might be ISTP, not ISTJ.

Where would you place ENFJs?

I feel the same about EXFJs; I love em but that dom Fe is a bit much for me; they seem to hold grudges and get disgruntled with people much more easily than I do, which makes me always wonder if they are secretly pissed at me and just pretending not to be. :laugh: :rolli:

My ESFP friend is a bit annoying in her on again, off again, existence in my life. She seems to think it's totally ok that we are on her agenda all the time.

1st Lot: ISFJ - INFJ - [ISFP - ISTJ] - INTP - INFP

2nd Lot: INTJ - ENTP

3rd Lot: ISTP - ESFP - ESFJ

4th Lot: ENFJ - [ESTJ - ENTJ] - ESTP

It should be noted that while I identify with ESFJs (Si and Fe) the reversal just makes it seem a little odd. Overall, there's a clear pattern that I identify most with auxillary Fe users first followed by Feelers with the exception of INTP and ENTP because I identify strongly with the Ti culture.

Before I had met my ESFP friend. I would have placed them right at the bottom with the ESTP. Guess it depends on what aspect they place more focus on.

To make sense of the data a little more...

Si > [Fe Ti] >> [Fi Ni] >>>> Te >>>>>>>>> [Ne Se]

That's how I roll. Perhaps it'll explain my MBTI resonation preference

What is it with the INFJ/ISFJ dynamic? I assume you mean friendship?

Almost all of my friends irl are isfjs. I know and like to hang out with INFJs as well, but it doesn't seem to happen as often as my ISFJ friends, for some reason. I think because the SFJs pursue me harder than I pursue others, or something along those lines; more motivated to seek out my friendship than I would be to seek out friendship in general.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have an exact order for all, but I can list at least some of them...

INFJ
INTx
INTx
ENFJ
ENTx
ENTx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
ESFJ
ESTJ
ESFP

KDude

So do you guys go about typing your friends and family? I've only typed one friend.. and then made some guesses with a couple of others (SPs mostly.. seems recognizable).

edit: Just wondering how you know other types so well offline.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So do you guys go about typing your friends and family? I've only typed one friend.. and then made some guesses with a couple of others (SPs mostly.. seems recognizable).

edit: Just wondering how you know other types so well offline.

It's always a work in progress. Mostly one makes best guesses. In other cases, people have self-typed, or have at least taken a test or two and mentioned it.

For my purposes, it doesn't matter whether I am "correct" so much as I classify my observations by type and correct them as I gain data. If I don't have a lot of data, then their type really doesn't matter, since I obviously don't interact enough to get a type.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow. I could totally have written this myself, down to the INTJ mom, but I think my brother might be ISTP, not ISTJ.

Where would you place ENFJs?

I feel the same about EXFJs; I love em but that dom Fe is a bit much for me; they seem to hold grudges and get disgruntled with people much more easily than I do, which makes me always wonder if they are secretly pissed at me and just pretending not to be. :laugh: :rolli:

My ESFP friend is a bit annoying in her on again, off again, existence in my life. She seems to think it's totally ok that we are on her agenda all the time.

ENFJs - I am not sure how many I know, but a friend of mine who is interested in MBTI told me she typed as one and it seems to fit. It will sound a little mean, but partly because of her, I have mixed feelings. On the bright side, she's warm and caring and lovely and has great interest in the life of the mind. We haven't lived in the same place for several years but she has also made an effort to keep the friendship going. On the downside...She is about ten years older than me, or a bit more (I'm 30, so she's 40+) and she has not had a successful relationship for a long time. She really wants to be married and I'm sorry to say it seems to have made her kind of neurotic. She has basically DECIDED that if she can't be married, she is going to be miserable forever. Not that I'm intensely qualified to comment or whatever, but I said gently once that I think it's better to be alone than with the wrong person (which I agree with based both on some personal experience, and those of others!) She was like "No, I don't agree, because even if if you have an unhappy marriage, at least you HAVE SOMEONE." !!! Yeah, someone who's making you miserable! It makes me sad that she can't concentrate on anything else at all. However, I don't know if this is a classically ENFJ reaction to such a situation.

I have a good friend who is ESFJ but I think we're partly good friends because we only see each other occasionally...She is very caring, but she holds grudges like you wouldn't believe and nags her INTP husband non-stop, which makes me nervous...

Honestly, if I were to fall into stereotypes, I would say that ExxJ in general seem a bit intimidating and bossy, and that ExxP seem highly intriguing particularly for romance, but unreliable heartbreakers in reality. (Like I said, indulging in stereotypes here!!)

Based on one of my best friends who is ISFJ, they are just so great. :) In the case of our friendship, I also think she is a somewhat "N" ISFJ and I'm a somewhat "S" INFJ, which may help. Not sure about my dad but ISFJ really seems to fit - I love him so much! In a way I'm closer to my INTJ mom, partly because she's my mom :) and we have very similar intellectual interests (literature etc). But I am definitely somewhat more like my dad...in fact, I have eerie moments when I totally find myself channelling him.