• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Form of the Inferior - IFPs

Cegorach

The following is an excerpt from Naomi Quenk's book "Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality":
(Further types will be posted in the future.)

The Form of the Inferior Function

Being out of character can be temporarily enjoyable when inhibitions are lessened, freeing up energy to explore unfamiliar but intriguing parts of oneself. Introverted Feeling types sometimes report becoming more sociable and outgoing. This is particularly true for male ISFPs and INFPs in their early twenties and somewhat less so for older males of these types. Women generally do not report this kind of lowering of inhibitions, perhaps because any such “positive” expression is likely to be eradicated by the negative expressions of anger and criticality that are the hallmarks of inferior Extraverted Thinking. Women may find these inferior function expressions to be more unacceptable than do men. However, over time the characteristic tolerance, flexibility, and quiet caring of Introverted Feeling types diminishes as the energy available to their dominant Introverted Feeling dwindles. “I lose my concern for harmony, my connection with my inner values,” said an INFP. An ISFP said he “searches for conflict and forgets about others' feelings.” ISFPs may also lose access to their auxiliary Sensing function. “I react quickly without finding out any facts,” said one. INFPs may similarly lose sight of their auxiliary Intuition. One INFP said that she “cannot process information, thoughts, or ideas” and becomes “focused on detail, making elaborate plans that are unnecessary.” Initially, INFPs and ISFPs may control their urge to blurt out hostile thoughts by engaging in destructive fantasies directed at just about anyone available. Alternatively, they may employ biting sarcasm and cynicism. As these tactics fail, the negative Extraverted Thinking of their inferior function becomes manifested in judgments of incompetence, aggressive criticism, and precipitous action. For ISFPs, tertiary Intuition may be revealed in their being plagued by the negative possibilities they imagine will be the inevitable, logical consequences of their incompetence. For INFPs, tertiary Sensing provides all the “facts” necessary to support their overwhelming sense of failure.
The comparison between dominant and inferior Extraverted Thinking is shown in Table 4.

Jung (1976a) alludes to these inferior manifestations in the following statement:

Just as introverted thinking is counterbalanced by a primitive feeling, to which objects attach themselves with magical force, introverted feeling is counterbalanced by a primitive thinking, whose concretism and slavery to facts surpass all bounds. (p. 388)

Judgments of Incompetence

In the early stages of expression of their inferior function, Introverted Feeling types often project their unconscious fears of their own incompetence. They become hypersensitive to others' mistakes. Because of the Extraverted attitude of their inferior function, the projections often extend to large segments of the outer world, encompassing much of humanity. Once caught up in this state, they see incompetence in employees, bosses, colleagues, strangers on the street, the person on the other end of the telephone, drivers on the highway, local and national institutions, and major world figures.

Introverted Feeling types in this state may complain loudly about others' gross ineptitude. ISFPs and INFPs seem to turn into the very opposite of their accepting, nonjudgmental, and flexible selves, coming across as harsh critics and judges whose standards of competence are too extreme to be met.

Table 4
Dominant and Inferior Expressions of Extraverted Thinking
As Dominant Function of As Inferior Function of:

ESTJs and ENTJs
• Competence
• Truth and accuracy
• Decisive action

ISFPs and INFPs
• Judgments of incompetence
• Aggressive criticism
• Precipitous action

Inferior Thinking often comes out in an unrelenting search for accuracy— in a precise, nitpicky logic and focus, and an almost legalistic standard of validity. One INFP said, “I home in on precise logic and truth and am very critical, detailed, picky, frustrated, and irritable. I'm nitpicky and see only what is in front of me.” An ISFP said, “I'm in a bad mood and show it. I cut myself off and am critical, judgmental, bitchy; I am not accepting, happy, optimistic, nice, or understanding. Usually, I am friendly and always have time for people. When I'm tired and vulnerable, I can get into this state by remembering some incredibly dumb thing I did—an embarrassing moment. Or somebody else's incompetence that reflects on my own will set me off.”

When this projection of their sense of incompetence fails to take care of whatever has triggered it, the negative energy of the inferior function takes the form of critical self-judgment. Introverted Feeling types become focused on their own incompetence, extending it both backward and forward in time and including the world at large in their conclusion. In the words of one INFP:

I become overwhelmed by an awareness that I am totally incompetent at everything I do, that I always have been and always will be—and that the whole world knows it! The truth of this is beyond doubt. I am mortified at not recognizing this before, and of compounding the offense by acting as if I were competent. I am unable to verbalize my despair to others for fear I will make a fool of myself by acknowledging my former ignorance of my true lack of ability. I view my advanced degrees and other achievements as the result of people feeling sorry for me— I was too emotionally fragile to be told the truth. “Everything seems impossible,” said an ISFP. “I begin to lose faith in my ability to do even the simplest task, and I especially distrust my ability to make competent decisions about my life.” An INFP said, “I become rigid and think I am stupid, hopeless, etc. I often play a mental videotape of all the times I remember getting things wrong.” Another INFP described being “very arbitrary, loud, direct, hateful. I become inflexible,
rigid, and most intolerant. I make snap judgments and become quite self condemning. I think it's all over; I'm no longer worthwhile.” When feeling vulnerable, another INFP worried about whether his teachers had paid sufficient attention to his work to properly evaluate it. “Maybe they were so wrapped up in their own work that I slipped through undetected,” he said. An ISFP said, “I review all the mistakes I ever made in my life and then conclude that I am a bona fide failure at everything I attempt to do, despite any evidence to the contrary.”

Aggressive Criticism

We know that effective dominant Extraverted Thinking types make useful critical judgments about the world. In the grip of inferior Extraverted Thinking, Introverted Feeling types make judgments that are overly categorical, harsh, exaggerated, hypercritical, and often unfounded. In marked contrast to their typically gentle, self-effacing manner, they become so aggressively judgmental that they come across as caricatures of their opposite types, the Extraverted Thinking types. Depending on the nature and intensity of the precipitating circumstances, the excessive criticism may be immediately directed at themselves or may focus first on the objectionable qualities of others, only later culminating in severe self-criticism. Such alternating criticism of others and self is evident in some of the preceding comments describing “incompetence.” One ISFP said, “My humor becomes biting and cynical and I take an 'army-navy' dictatorial approach to communicating with others. I am very negative.” Another described becoming “very short-tempered. I react quickly and sometimes not rationally. I yell at people and have very little patience.” “I'll be loud, critical, and rash, talk about people behind their backs, or be unreasonable,” said another.

An INFP becomes “more intense. I tend to lash out at people with great anger. I am blaming and accusatory. I get vicious 'Ben Hur'–type images with a lot of violent action. I feel cold, intolerant, uncaring, rigid, straitjacketed, focused, and terrier-like.” “I snap at people and I don't care about their reactions to this. I criticize people, especially for their incompetence. I generalize this to thinking that the whole world is incompetent and has screwed up values, and I stop caring about my own values,” explained another INFP. “I become self-critical, doubting, irritable, inflexible, and more picky. I focus on details. Usually, I am flexible and quiet and like new challenges, new ideas, and working with people.” When one ISFP becomes especially irritated with her husband's chronic indecision, she provides him with lengthy, logical accounts of his available choices, adopting a combative, lawyer-like tone. One INFP makes almost vicious attacks on people who fail to live up to his ethical standards. “One winter I found out the gas company had turned off service to my disabled neighbor, who couldn't pay her bill. I flew into a rage, called the president of the company, and threatened to expose him to the newspapers. Even I was surprised at the language I used,” he said.

Precipitous Action

Introverted Feeling types in the grip are often overwhelmed by the urge to take some action, usually to correct some imagined mistake or incompetence of their own. But where the dominant Extraverted Thinking type uses differentiated judgment in deciding what action to take, if any, the Introverted Feeling type's actions often exacerbate the problem. A difficult situation may be created where there initially wasn't one.

At her engagement party, Sylvia, an INFP, was kissed playfully by a former boyfriend while both were alone in the kitchen. Later that night, she remembered that a friend of hers had passed by the kitchen door and might have seen the kiss. She called her friend and begged her not to tell anyone. She interpreted her friend's puzzled response as evidence that she had already told several other people. Sylvia then called four more close friends to warn them not to tell. By this time, the innocent kiss was common knowledge to virtually everyone who had been at the party. Of course, Sylvia's fiancé found out about the kissing incident and was hurt and angry. Sylvia's precipitous “fixing” created an unnecessary problem that required a great deal of real correction.

The urge to take action can also be seen in attempts by Introverted Feeling types to take control. One INFP reported that when things seem out of control, he attempts to put them in order, organize them, and piece together data in an orderly, logical, linear fashion. An ISFP responds to such episodes by taking charge of people and ordering them around. Others make lists, organize the list contents logically, and methodically check off the items once they are accomplished. Undertaking large household cleaning projects, reorganizing, and moving furniture are also ways of responding to increasing stress. They are usually accompanied by concerns about one's abilities—perhaps indicative of attempts to ward off inferior Thinking by acting in a decisive, controlled way.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is pretty awesome. Good read. And it's all true too.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I become overwhelmed by an awareness that I am totally incompetent at everything I do, that I always have been and always will be—and that the whole world knows it! The truth of this is beyond doubt. I am mortified at not recognizing this before, and of compounding the offense by acting as if I were competent. I am unable to verbalize my despair to others for fear I will make a fool of myself by acknowledging my former ignorance of my true lack of ability. I view my advanced degrees and other achievements as the result of people feeling sorry for me— I was too emotionally fragile to be told the truth. “Everything seems impossible,” said an ISFP. “I begin to lose faith in my ability to do even the simplest task, and I especially distrust my ability to make competent decisions about my life.” An INFP said, “I become rigid and think I am stupid, hopeless, etc. I often play a mental videotape of all the times I remember getting things wrong.” Another INFP described being “very arbitrary, loud, direct, hateful. I become inflexible,
rigid, and most intolerant. I make snap judgments and become quite self condemning. I think it's all over; I'm no longer worthwhile.” When feeling vulnerable, another INFP worried about whether his teachers had paid sufficient attention to his work to properly evaluate it. “Maybe they were so wrapped up in their own work that I slipped through undetected,” he said. An ISFP said, “I review all the mistakes I ever made in my life and then conclude that I am a bona fide failure at everything I attempt to do, despite any evidence to the contrary.”

Yep, I find myself currently caught in this highly negative thinking. I feel it so deeply that to me that is confirmation of how true it all is and it's not easy to shake off at all.

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
I can relate to the "Precipitous Action" description ... this is a constant problem of mine when I'm trying to use my Te. When stressed, I'll make plans to put things right that are poorly thought out, and where it's not clear what the plan is supposed to accomplish or how I'm supposed to go about doing it. I often wind up abandoning it halfway through once it's clear it's going nowhere, and then feel bad about myself for doing so. :doh:

When I'm steamed, I can get very critical about impersonal entities, like businesses or government. I'll say that some company is deliberately making shoddy products to extract more money out of me. Or that an employer is deliberately treating us employees badly so we'll quit and they can cut payroll. None of these judgments are very sensible, and when I later look at the facts, I realize how ridiculous I sounded.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Undertaking large household cleaning projects, reorganizing, and moving furniture are also ways of responding to increasing stress.

Ahhhh, I knew there was a reason for these uncharacteristic behaviours :)

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
unfortunately, i can relate to a lot of that, as well... as in, been there, done that.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:doh: :blush: Too close to home, this one. Good stuff.

Was there anything on how to use the inferior in a productive way?

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Was there anything on how to use the inferior in a productive way?

yeah, sometimes i find myself letting things to get to me so as to draw out that hyper-organisational part of me, to get the job done... way too taxing on my personal and social well being, though.

something constructive with regard to the inferior functions would be nice. i usually see too much written about what makes them detrimental, and too little about what can be helpful.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I am not sure I like what I read, since I can see myself in it too. Of course, not all the time, but often enough :/

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I am going through that right now and was just about to make a post. I have been biting people all month, and the month before that. I read that it is because of the ESTJ shadow when one is over stressed. The three most important things to me right now:

• Competence
• Truth and accuracy
• Decisive action

Run away, dear friends.

B

brainheart

Yup, my Te is evil. It should be outlawed- as should my Si. Probably my Fe, too.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Just had a random thought. Would doing something like a hobby or activity that 'uses' the inferior function help?

When I'm stressed or anxious, I would sometimes fold origami. It's not what you would call a Thinking hobby, but I'm also following specific linear steps to fold the model according to the instructions. Is this my subconscious way of channeling my Te in a productive way? And could this be applied to other hobbies if we can identify which cognitive process it 'uses'?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just read this. I'm not liking it, but damn it's so true.

Xenocide

MBTI Type
INTP
Return of Equilibrium

As the preceding stories illustrate, some time is required for things to play
out before equilibrium is restored in a person who has been in the grip.
However, as the last story shows, chronically being in the grip may force
a person to permanently leave the stressful situation.

The following comments were made by some Introverted Feeling
types about how they typically disengage from inferior function experiences.
Note that for both ISFPs and INFPs, it is important that they be
able to spend some time alone when emerging from the grip and not be
“helped” by others.This appears to be less crucial for female ISFPs, who
are likely to welcome talking to others early in the process. Female INFPs
find talking to others helpful, but not usually right away. Male Introverted
Feeling types mention talking to others less frequently. Engaging in relaxing,
distracting activities and hobbies is helpful for both genders.

“I need to get away and think things through,” said an ISFP.“People
should just let me be,” he added. An INFP said she needs to “go with the
flow, get away from the situation for a while. I need to talk about it without
being censored (or taken too seriously).” And another INFP agreed
that “I don’t like it when others help. I’ll just be with myself and work out
solutions or compromises.”

“It has to expire on its own,” said an ISFP.“If someone else says something
about it, it can make it worse—unless I am already coming out of
it. If someone I respect but am not emotionally close to says something, I
may check it out. It depends on how it is said.”

“I need to go with the flow and allow myself time to experience it.
Others need to be patient and empathic.They need to allow me time to
reflect,” said another ISFP.

“Exercise helps, and so does talking to someone. But others need to
listen and not try to reason with me or be logical. Having my feelings validated
is important.”

A consistent theme that seems to signal that the experience is winding
down is an often painful awareness of the effect their inferior function
is having on people.“We become aware of the damage to relationships
caused by the episode and are thankful it’s over,” reported a group of
Introverted Feeling types. One INFP said, “I become aware of being out
of sorts, take a deep breath, chill out (after being embarrassed). Others
need to give me space and be forgiving when I ask forgiveness.” Another
INFP reported that “It helps if others let me have my say, don’t get defensive,
and don’t challenge my ‘truth’ at that moment.Acknowledge that you
understand what I’m saying.We can talk about it when I’m myself again.”
The process of becoming “oneself again” can be aided by auxiliary
Sensing or Intuition. ISFPs find it helpful to satisfy their Sensing need for
sleep, or to simply “zone out” by watching a lot of television. Later, starting
a craft project that uses established skills may signal the diminishing
effects of an inferior function episode. Engaging in distracting activities,
hobbies, and recreation is helpful. INFPs also can find new energy and
motivation by coming up with an intriguing thought or a new approach
to an ongoing project.

INFPs report that the process of emerging from their grip experience
happens simultaneously with the new learning or awareness that occurs.
In line with their overriding focus on growth and development, they seem
to welcome any opportunity to expand their self-awareness, even when it
is painful. This happens for other types as well, but it seems to be more
noticeable for those who have Intuition as their auxiliary function. Often
the new knowledge comes in the form of a previously unrecognized idea
or new insight.This is what occurred for the person who realized he had
approached the take-home exam from the wrong perspective.​

Xenocide

MBTI Type
INTP
Expressions in Midlife​

Midlife is not always accompanied by a positive and progressive integration
of inferior Extraverted Thinking. Nor do we see evidence of the
inclusion of tertiary Sensing or Intuition in the personality of all aging
Introverted Feeling types.

The aging process finds some Introverted Feeling types becoming
stuck in their type rather than broadening their perspective. They may
appear to others to be perpetually searching for self-fulfillment, changing jobs or careers, assuring others and themselves that this next time will be
the last and “right” choice. This may also take the form of repetitive
searching for a “soul mate,” resulting in failed marriages and partnerships
and dissatisfying romantic affairs.

Some Introverted Feeling types may incorporate inferior Thinking
and tertiary Sensing or Intuition into their personalities, but in a somewhat
rigid, extreme, and stereotypical way. They seem hypercritical of
others, obsess about minor details, and lose their former facility with ideas
and possibilities. Rather than simply adding appropriate Thinking to their
repertoire, they seem to delete Feeling.Aging finds them frequently in the
grip of inferior Thinking and tertiary Sensing or Intuition.

Introverted Feeling types whose course of development is more fortunate
reveal increased confidence in their own values, a new interest in
activities that involve their tertiary Sensing or Intuition, and an attraction
to analytic approaches.They report more comfort in logical decision making,
less concern about hurting others’ feelings, and greater impatience
with sentimental expressions of feeling.

In contrast to Extraverted Thinking types, whose positive midlife
expressions include being more willing to let go of things that don’t fit
their image of what is correct and logical, Introverted Feeling types
become more confident and forthright in stating their convictions to others.
They are more willing to tell other people what they need and want
and are less concerned about fulfilling others’ expectations.They may also
enjoy doing things in an orderly, logical sequence and appreciate the
beauty of the universe as expressed in the laws of physics and chemistry.
This may emerge in as common an activity as cooking. An INFP cook,
who had habitually deviated from recipes as a young adult, discovered in
his fifties that following the order and precision of a detailed recipe was
quite appealing. He was intrigued with the particular mix of ingredients
and the logic of their proportions. This INFP’s midlife change contrasts
with that of an ISTJ cook described in Chapter 12, who, having adhered
strictly to recipes in her youth, dispensed with them entirely in midlife.

Positive incorporation of inferior and tertiary functions can appear in
the career area. One 47-year-old INFP said,
"I think that in the last ten years or so I have gained psychological reassurance
that I am competent at some things. It needed to come first in
my chosen professional arena—through gaining confidence as a professional,
as a faculty member training students, and then as a bit of anauthority in certain theoretical areas. Then I could play with areas in
which I had never sought competence before. I recently took a night
course in electrical rewiring and practiced it in my own home. But the
secure base of my preferred world (teaching and writing) needed to be
there, as well as in my personal life (as a partner and a parent), before I
could have energy to devote to such things as mastering electrical circuits.
It had to happen at the right time also. I could never have done it
in my twenties or younger."

Sometimes spending a lengthy period in the grip of inferior Extraverted
Thinking can serve as an important stimulus to midlife development
for Introverted Feeling types. The combination of the natural
upheaval of midlife and the disruption and distress of a chronic grip experience
may push an ISFP or INFP into serious soul searching and reconsideration
of long-standing goals, which may lead to significant changes in
the way the second half of life is lived.

*Delivered by request instead of Cegorach

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel like I'm slowly getting a handle on my inferior Te. I can definitely relate to this, but some aspects are less intense than they used to be, although Te certainly rears an ugly head when I am stressed.

I don't relate much to Precipitous Action....I'm trying to think of an example of it in my life and I can't....the Aggressive Criticism is very much me though.

Sunny Ghost

Unfortunately, I identify entirely too much with that. :doh:

ditto. i am exactly as that article described over the last few years. i have yet to go back to my nice and happy go lucky self. :doh::cry: is there another article that describes how i can correct this current behavior of mine?:huh:

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That is very accurate. Even the part about the gas company rings quite true, about a time when I was dealing with a small time conman who made the mistake of mixing me up in his schemes.

But yeah, everything else as well, painfully true. Except maybe the parts about lashing out on people, unless they are causing me direct continuous distress.