• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Form of the Inferior - ITPs

Cegorach

The following is an excerpt from Naomi Quenk's book "Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality":
(Further types will be posted in the future.)

The Form of the Inferior Function

Like Introverted Feeling types, Introverted Thinking types often report becoming uncharacteristically sociable, outgoing, and expressive of feelings as part of their inferior function experience. This is reported by both males and females of these types and by individuals of all ages. However, the loss of social inhibition is likely to emerge eventually in easily expressed anger, being loud and perhaps inappropriate and obnoxious.

Introverted Thinking types seem to report less pleasure in losing their inhibitions than do Introverted Feeling types, perhaps because they are uncomfortable extraverting their normally introverted critical Thinking. It may be that their naturally unspoken critical stance emerges more quickly than it does for ISFPs and INFPs. As the Introverted Thinking type's conscious control of differentiated Thinking starts to diminish, use of that dominant function along with auxiliary Sensing or Intuition becomes increasingly difficult. The internal struggle for control may be largely unobserved by others. But as time goes on, others may notice a certain slowness, vagueness, and distractibility replacing the sharp acuity that they are used to seeing in the ISTP or INTP.

Introverted Thinking types report becoming illogical, inefficient, unfocused, and scattered. An INTP described becoming “emotional, edgy, disorganized, obsessive about details, confused, closed. Usually I am easygoing, centered, and creative and see lots of options.” An ISTP reported becoming “confused, disorganized, and unable to focus. I lose track of my organizational strategies and get messy.” A young ISTP described himself as “slow and dimwitted, forgetting stuff all the time.” And a youthful INTP said, “I lack the mental energy and clarity that I ordinarily maintain. I'm not able to concentrate at all. I become completely illogical.” As inferior Extraverted Feeling becomes more prominent in the demeanor of the Introverted Thinking type, it comes out in the form of logic being emphasized to an extreme, hypersensitivity to relationships, and emotionalism. For ISTPs, tertiary Intuition may aid and abet these forms, appearing as a conviction of some imagined “pattern” of others' uncaring neglect of the ISTPs needs and feelings. For INTPs, tertiary Sensing takes the form of an obsessive review of the facts and details that prove that others neglect the INTPs needs and feelings.

The comparison between dominant and inferior Extraverted Feeling is shown in Table 6. Jung (1976a) touched on a combination of these characteristics as they can be seen in their inferior form:

Because of the highly impersonal character of the conscious attitude, the unconscious feelings are extremely personal and oversensitive, giving rise to secret prejudices—a readiness, for instance, to misconstrue any opposition to his formula as personal ill-will, or a constant tendency to make negative assumptions about other people in order to invalidate their arguments in advance—in defense, naturally, of his own touchiness. (p. 350)

Logic Emphasized to an Extreme

Effective dominant Extraverted Feeling types are quite comfortable making decisions that are not logical. Introverted Thinking types in the grip of inferior Extraverted Feeling may become passionately insistent on the application of logic, becoming quite emotional about their approach. As an extension of their loss of control over the Thinking function, the Introverted Thinking type begins to engage in excessively logical, unproductive thinking. There may be an obsessive quality to this thinking. One ISTP feels compelled to “prove” the accuracy of his perception of things. An INTP said, “If a problem comes up that I'm unable to resolve, I work at it anyway and can't let go of it, even if I know I can't solve it.” Other Introverted Thinking types report becoming less articulate, speaking rapidly and disjointedly, and using sharp, clear, but “paranoid” logic.

Table 6
Dominant and Inferior Expressions of Extraverted Feeling
As Dominant Function of As Inferior Function of:

ESFJs and ENFJs

• Comfortable inattention to logic
• Sensitivity to others' welfare
• Sharing of emotions

ISTPs and INTPs

• Logic emphasized to an extreme
• Hypersensitivity to relationships
• Emotionalism

They may find that they forget things, misplace objects, and engage in futile projects that don't accomplish anything and are marked by disorganization. One INTP described becoming rigidly stuck on a false belief that at the time seemed totally supported by logic. Later, he was able to reassess his conviction as an inferior “Feeling judgment masquerading as logic.” “I am very impatient, demanding, and extremely logical,” said another INTP. “I am obsessively analytical,” said another.

Hypersensitivity to Relationships

Effective dominant Extraverted Feeling types value their relationships with others. They carefully consider the well-being of others in making decisions and devote energy and enthusiasm to personal and social interactions. In the grip of inferior Extraverted Feeling, the Introverted Thinking type experiences increasing hypersensitivity to “Feeling” areas. And just as Extraverted Thinking types struggle to maintain controlled efficiency and competency when in the initial grip of the inferior function, so ISTPs and INTPs valiantly try to hide their formerly alien concerns with being liked and appreciated. In this unfamiliar state, they over-interpret or misinterpret others' innocent comments or body language. “I nail someone and babble forever about my feelings and all the terrible things 'they' are doing to me,” said an ISTP. However, to the Introverted Thinking type, the perceived slights are accurate and authentic.
Something as innocuous as someone failing to say hello upon entering a room, or briefly interrupting a conversation to greet a passerby, may be interpreted as an indicator of dislike and disapproval.

ISTPs and INTPs tend to feel discounted when others do not listen to them attentively.
“I tend to be emotionally hypersensitive when I'm 'not myself.' It's extraordinarily different from my usual state of logical ‘emotional detachment,” said an INTP. Others are usually slow to catch on to the altered state of the Introverted Thinking type, as was noted earlier for Extraverted Thinking types. Distress, anxiety, and annoyance are typically expressed with minimal cues—a raised eyebrow, a distant look, or other subtle body language may be the only signal. Further, family, friends, and colleagues, who are in the habit of trusting the person's careful, objective analysis of people and events, are likely to take the ISTPs or INTPs conclusions as objectively true. They have little reason to doubt, for example, that the boss doesn't appreciate the INTP and won't let him do a particular project. They are therefore unlikely to inquire about the evidence used to reach this definitive-sounding judgment.

In its extreme form, the grip experience of Introverted Thinking types may manifest as a feeling of profound and infinite separateness from the whole of humanity. The ISTP or INTP is convinced that he or she is unloved and ultimately unlovable. Some relive childhood feelings of being extremely different from other children, marching to a different and unacceptable drummer, often with no clue about how others see things. The memory of childhood misery and helplessness may intensify the adult's inferior function experience.

Emotionalism

Effective dominant Extraverted Feeling types readily share their values with others and are comfortable expressing their emotions. In the grip of inferior Extraverted Feeling, Introverted Thinking types may not differentiate between the expression of Feeling values and the expression of emotion. We may witness confusion between Feeling as a judging function and emotion as a state of physiological arousal. Jung (1976b) was explicit in his differentiation of the two:

What I mean by feeling in contrast to thinking is a judgment of value; agreeable or disagreeable, good or bad, and so on. Feeling so defined is not an emotion or affect, which is, as the words convey, an involuntary manifestation. Feeling as I mean it is a judgment without any of the obvious bodily reactions that characterize an emotion. Like thinking, it is a rational function. (p. 219)

Nevertheless, it appears true that dominant Thinking types, especially those who favor Introversion, do not have ready access to their emotions when they are operating in their habitual, dominant mode. Often they report not knowing or being able to describe a feeling at the time it is occurring. Some INTPs, however, report being able to infer the presence of a feeling by attending to intuitive cues; it may be recounted later in Thinking, analytical terms. They fear that once in the realm of intense emotion, they may become possessed by it and never be able to get out. That is why descending into “the depths” is rare and entered into against the will of the Introverted Thinking type.

Lack of familiarity with felt emotion is probably due to the fact that Thinking judgment typically excludes subjective values and affective data from the decision-making process. How the Thinking type or others feel about things may be judged irrelevant to the problem at hand and therefore as interfering with logical decision making. In contrast, Feeling types typically consider such data entirely relevant to their decisions. Their primary decision-making criteria include personal values, feelings, and consequences for important people and institutions. Due to limited experience, therefore, Thinking types' emotional expression lacks the differentiation and subtlety of feeling seen in well differentiated Feeling types. When positive feelings are involved, they may seem maudlin and sentimental. One INTP said she becomes “mushy, sentimental, very outwardly emotional, and unpredictably so.” A young ISTP said, “At times I feel really emotional when I'm by myself thinking about things that normally wouldn't bother me.” With greater intensity, inferior Feeling comes out as raw, extreme emotion.

Feeling judgment seems to become increasingly exaggerated and obsessive, reaching a point where it no longer serves a judging purpose but becomes unbridled emotionalism. “I am 'hysterical.' I believe that nobody likes me and I am worthless . . . [and] have nothing to contribute to society. Whereas normally I am very happy to be alone, when I am 'not myself' I seek affirmation from everyone. I call all my friends until I feel better,” related an INTP. An ISTP said, “I talk about inner feelings and show emotions. I don't usually do that; I also express criticism toward others—I usually keep it to myself.”

When the contents of this normally unconscious, primitive function rise to the surface, they appear as a loss of control over emotional expression. There are reports of irritability and difficulty in holding back frustration and anger. In early phases, the Introverted Thinking type may become fidgety, trembling, and sarcastic, stomping around and making verbal attacks, exaggerating and accusing others. In more extreme cases, there may be physical outbursts that include breaking things and attacking people.

An INTP college student was deeply involved in a research paper when some of his friends invited him to go to a carnival with them. He refused, but they persisted anyway. When one grabbed his pen and paper and teasingly refused to return them, he began yelling at her and grabbed her arm. Both he and his friends were surprised and frightened by the swiftness and intensity of his reaction. Although expression of anger is common, especially in younger ISTPs and INTPs, often there is increasing self-pity and a sense of feeling neglected, unappreciated, and even victimized.

With greater loss of control, Introverted Thinking types can burst into tears with no warning. One wrong word can trigger an emotional outburst accompanied by rage, crying, and rising emotionality. Some describe feeling as if all their emotions are all mixed up, released with uncharacteristic spontaneity. “I start to notice my own feelings and become moody and impatient; I deny to others that anything is wrong, but all the while I feel like I am drowning in emotions,” said one ISTP. Another described being “very emotional and unable to keep my reactions to situations under control.” Not only are their own emotions problematic, but so are the emotional reactions of others. Some Introverted Thinking types say they cannot truly understand something in the Feeling arena if they haven’t actually experienced it. As a result, when they are in the grip of their inferior function, they find that emotions from others are upsetting and only intensify the magnitude of the situation.

The three manifestations of the inferior function typically appear together. One INTP feels martyred and cannot help snapping, whining, and complaining to people. She reports becoming very emotional and a little irrational, unable to organize or problem-solve with her usual efficiency and competence. Another INTP describes feeling numb, frozen, or enraged, as well as exhausted and unable to concentrate. Some describe an inability to keep their emotions to themselves, even though they wish to reveal little of their internal processes. In this state, said an ISTP, “I act out my displeasure rather than keeping it to myself as I am inclined to do. The actual acting out is usually brief, but feeling stressed out about it may last longer.” An INTP described the shame she associates with experiencing extreme feelings; she also described blaming others for not appreciating or loving her enough. Paramount is a sense of being misunderstood, with no way to correct the misunderstanding. Other ISTPs and INTPs report similar reactions.

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The Form of the Inferior = ITPs , I agree

VagrantFarce

I was wondering why this thread only has one reply, and I figured that maybe all the INTPs are too embarrassed to post because of how spot on the OP is :peepwall:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Introverted Thinking types often report becoming uncharacteristically sociable, outgoing, and expressive of feelings as part of their inferior function experience.
I don't recognize this. A lot of the rest is quite accurate though.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Some good points just could have been written better. Actually the sentence and paragraph structure makes it a painfull read. This is the most important and well stated part:

With greater loss of control, Introverted Thinking types can burst into tears with no warning. One wrong word can trigger an emotional outburst accompanied by rage, crying, and rising emotionality. Some describe feeling as if all their emotions are all mixed up, released with uncharacteristic spontaneity. “I start to notice my own feelings and become moody and impatient; I deny to others that anything is wrong, but all the while I feel like I am drowning in emotions,” said one ISTP. Another described being “very emotional and unable to keep my reactions to situations under control.” Not only are their own emotions problematic, but so are the emotional reactions of others. Some Introverted Thinking types say they cannot truly understand something in the Feeling arena if they haven’t actually experienced it. As a result, when they are in the grip of their inferior function, they find that emotions from others are upsetting and only intensify the magnitude of the situation.

This is true. Emotions can be scary as well as how we respond to them. There is a flip side too however, they can be extremely intense and pleasurable at rare key moments. Kinda like a LSD trip where at one moment you are hostile and scared and at another moment you are laughing and in ecstasy. In other words the Emotional experience can be extremely deep and raw like a fresh nerve ending. Both able to experience fearful rages as well as sublime poetry of feeling at key moments.

With me this is more of the exception than the day to day rule. For the most part I look forward to those times of being overwhelmed by emotions (except anxiety) both love and rage as if they were vacations.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
^ i can also relate to some of that. i used to be very much like this when i was younger. (i remember my mother being concerned about me as a child, because i used to have these overwhelming emotional "fits"). i feel like developing my F has helped me with my emotional life.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was wondering why this thread only has one reply, and I figured that maybe all the INTPs are too embarrassed to post because of how spot on the OP is :peepwall:

Perhaps it is a tl;dr thing (we cannot read the whole internetz). Or perhaps it is just too much to see "inferior" and "ITP" beside each other like that (which, ironically, probably has a lot to do with that inferior function). :peepwall:

Cegorach

Return of Equilibrium

As the preceding stories illustrate, equilibrium is often restored rather dramatically after an intense expression of emotion. However, when more short-lived experiences of the inferior are involved, Introverted Thinking types find that changing activities can aid the normalization process. What is most important for both ISTPs and INTPs is spending time alone, including exercising primarily alone. Introverted Thinking types need to be alone and physically separated from others, doing something they find enjoyable or relaxing. “I need alone time, to remove myself from the situation and to think about the problems, and then I need a close friend to help me analyze it,” said a young ISTP woman. Trying to identify the problem and wrestling with its solution are typical approaches for Introverted Thinking types, who find that reframing the cause of the distress is often helpful. “I need time to think through the issues,” said an INTP. “Others can help by affirming that my response is okay because the situation I’m in is unreasonable and stressful. They should not ask if I’m okay.” Light problem solving that engages but doesn’t strain their Thinking, such as reading a mystery novel, can be helpful. Both types agree that they require time by themselves, that others need to leave them alone, and that it is most unhelpful for others to try to help them in any way, to ask how they feel, or to try to minimize their distress.
Often there is little that others can do. Internal acceptance and calm are what is needed most.

Others can help most by staying out of the way and forgiving the out-of character behavior. A trusted person’s physical presence is not intrusive, but psychological space should be respected. It is also helpful if someone close to them can gently encourage them to talk about their feelings after sufficient time has passed. However, many Introverted Thinking types report that the very worst thing someone can do is ask them how they feel about things.

ISTPs’ auxiliary Sensing can be helpful in encouraging them to perform a reality check on the stressful situation. This occurred when Carl, the ISTP businessman, discovered that his doctor recognized his distress. This made his situation real and forced him to deal with it. Some INTPs can calm themselves down by playing unusual games of solitaire that don’t depend on luck for success. Such games engage their auxiliary Intuition.
The repetitive handling of the cards (tertiary Sensing) also has a calming effect. One INTP said that it helps to get engaged in a project he enjoys, and others describe engaging in distracting, absorbing forms of recreation. Being excused from usual responsibilities and having someone else deal with the outer world helps Introverted Thinking types achieve equilibrium.
Like many other types, ISTPs and INTPs find physical activity of some kind, especially hiking, to be a good way to detach themselves from a grip state.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good post. Accurate.
Some describe feeling as if all their emotions are all mixed up, released with uncharacteristic spontaneity. I start to notice my own feelings and become moody and impatient; I deny to others that anything is wrong, but all the while I feel like I am drowning in emotions.....Some Introverted Thinking types say they cannot truly understand something in the Feeling arena if they haven't actually experienced it.

The underlined portion provides a tug of war. I've found myself, once understanding an emotional experience, a responsibility towards utilizing that knowledge and that begins a love/hate relationship with it. Almost wanting to go back to emotional ignorance. Less internally stressful.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The problem with ITPs is that they have trouble understanding Fe and how to properly convey their emotions without looking like they are being irrational and illogical. ITPs have to understand that it's ok to be illogical or irrational and having a strong feeling about something is more of a reason in itself to follow through with your emotions. It's a balancing act that only becomes prevalent in adulthood. ISTPs aux Ni though is much better at following through than INTPs aux Si. Since ISTPs Aux Ni will most likely follow through with something quicker without gathering every single fact.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wow, much of that is scarily true for me, especially these parts:

Introverted Thinking types report becoming illogical, inefficient, unfocused, and scattered. An INTP described becoming �emotional, edgy, disorganized, obsessive about details, confused, closed. Usually I am easygoing, centered, and creative and see lots of options

I lack the mental energy and clarity that I ordinarily maintain. I'm not able to concentrate at all. I become completely illogical

For INTPs, tertiary Sensing takes the form of an obsessive review of the facts and details that prove that others neglect the INTPs needs and feelings.

Introverted Thinking types in the grip of inferior Extraverted Feeling may become passionately insistent on the application of logic, becoming quite emotional about their approach. As an extension of their loss of control over the Thinking function, the Introverted Thinking type begins to engage in excessively logical, unproductive thinking. There may be an obsessive quality to this thinking.

If a problem comes up that I'm unable to resolve, I work at it anyway and can't let go of it, even if I know I can't solve it

ISTPs and INTPs valiantly try to hide their formerly alien concerns with being liked and appreciated. In this unfamiliar state, they over-interpret or misinterpret others' innocent comments or body language.

Some relive childhood feelings of being extremely different from other children, marching to a different and unacceptable drummer, often with no clue about how others see things.

Often they report not knowing or being able to describe a feeling at the time it is occurring.

They fear that once in the realm of intense emotion, they may become possessed by it and never be able to get out.

Feeling judgment seems to become increasingly exaggerated and obsessive, reaching a point where it no longer serves a judging purpose but becomes unbridled emotionalism. �I am 'hysterical.' I believe that nobody likes me and I am worthless . . . [and] have nothing to contribute to society. Whereas normally I am very happy to be alone, when I am 'not myself' I seek affirmation from everyone.

When the contents of this normally unconscious, primitive function rise to the surface, they appear as a loss of control over emotional expression. There are reports of irritability and difficulty in holding back frustration and anger.

With greater loss of control, Introverted Thinking types can burst into tears with no warning. One wrong word can trigger an emotional outburst accompanied by rage, crying, and rising emotionality.

Some Introverted Thinking types say they cannot truly understand something in the Feeling arena if they haven�t actually experienced it. As a result, when they are in the grip of their inferior function, they find that emotions from others are upsetting and only intensify the magnitude of the situation.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yep, I also agree with the general sentiment here. In fact, I found myself bursting into tears just yesterday.

A story about what happens to a stressed ITP:
I moved into my first dorm for my first year of college last Sunday and that was quite stressful. Not knowing anyone in the city sucks and I don't like to meet new people, but I told myself I was gonna be fine and meet people whether I stressed about it or not. Over the next few days, my computer broke down and I had to give it to a repair shop, which again was fine and manageable. Day 1 of class was Thursday and went fine. Friday, I woke up with a fever and nausea and that sucked a bunch. I had to go to class anyways because there were two that I hadn't been to yet. I figured it was just a 24 hour illness of some sort and that I would be fine for the weekend. Next day, I woke up with chicken pox (not itchy but still probably contagious) so I couldn't go meet people or use my computer or really eat anything because I have no kitchen and the cafeteria contains other people who are susceptible to disease. Sunday, the same thing happened and I couldn't eat much, began to feel very weak. Luckily, my close friend (INTJ if it matters) moved into town to go to a different school, but in the same small town and she brought me some bread and soup and things to keep my strength up. Monday, I had to miss classes which, although bad by itself, was exacerbated by my lacking of a computer in that i couldn't follow along with the class or do anything at all. Later that day, I got a call from my mom to check up on me and let me know that I had accidentally overdrawn a bunch of money from my checking account and had somehow misread the online balance. That was the last straw for me. It made me feel completely incompetent; "I can't even read a bank balance, what the fuck am I doing in college?" was the main thought, though in hindsight completely irrational. I just burst into tears while on the phone. It was embarrassing. I spent the next several hours pacing my little dorm, angrily grumbling to myself. The reaction to heaps of stress was pretty much exactly how the OP described, but maybe not quite so extreme as the "extreme" examples.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Wow, much of that is scarily true for me, especially these parts:

Introverted Thinking types report becoming illogical, inefficient, unfocused, and scattered. An INTP described becoming �emotional, edgy, disorganized, obsessive about details, confused, closed. Usually I am easygoing, centered, and creative and see lots of options

I lack the mental energy and clarity that I ordinarily maintain. I'm not able to concentrate at all. I become completely illogical

For INTPs, tertiary Sensing takes the form of an obsessive review of the facts and details that prove that others neglect the INTPs needs and feelings.

Introverted Thinking types in the grip of inferior Extraverted Feeling may become passionately insistent on the application of logic, becoming quite emotional about their approach. As an extension of their loss of control over the Thinking function, the Introverted Thinking type begins to engage in excessively logical, unproductive thinking. There may be an obsessive quality to this thinking.

If a problem comes up that I'm unable to resolve, I work at it anyway and can't let go of it, even if I know I can't solve it

ISTPs and INTPs valiantly try to hide their formerly alien concerns with being liked and appreciated. In this unfamiliar state, they over-interpret or misinterpret others' innocent comments or body language.

Some relive childhood feelings of being extremely different from other children, marching to a different and unacceptable drummer, often with no clue about how others see things.

Often they report not knowing or being able to describe a feeling at the time it is occurring.

They fear that once in the realm of intense emotion, they may become possessed by it and never be able to get out.

Feeling judgment seems to become increasingly exaggerated and obsessive, reaching a point where it no longer serves a judging purpose but becomes unbridled emotionalism. �I am 'hysterical.' I believe that nobody likes me and I am worthless . . . [and] have nothing to contribute to society. Whereas normally I am very happy to be alone, when I am 'not myself' I seek affirmation from everyone.

When the contents of this normally unconscious, primitive function rise to the surface, they appear as a loss of control over emotional expression. There are reports of irritability and difficulty in holding back frustration and anger.

With greater loss of control, Introverted Thinking types can burst into tears with no warning. One wrong word can trigger an emotional outburst accompanied by rage, crying, and rising emotionality.

Some Introverted Thinking types say they cannot truly understand something in the Feeling arena if they haven�t actually experienced it. As a result, when they are in the grip of their inferior function, they find that emotions from others are upsetting and only intensify the magnitude of the situation.

The "different" ticking of the drum thing is very apparent for me I always found I worked at a different pace than other people, this is something I've struggled and learned to adapt to. It's very strange in a way because I am either very dependent on other people of very independent of other people I can't really find a balance. For example If I can't figure out what a boss wants at work I have to always ask questions to find out, on the same token if there is no mutual connection I become disconnected, independent and self serving. Picking up new skills has always been somewhat of a problem as well, however over time unlike most people I have a tendency to master that skill in the long run.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The "different" ticking of the drum thing is very apparent for me I always found I worked at a different pace than other people, this is something I've struggled and learned to adapt to. It's very strange in a way because I am either very dependent on other people of very independent of other people I can't really find a balance. For example If I can't figure out what a boss wants at work I have to always ask questions to find out, on the same token if there is no mutual connection I become disconnected, independent and self serving. Picking up new skills has always been somewhat of a problem as well, however over time unlike most people I have a tendency to master that skill in the long run.

This is so much like me. I think I've put people off by asking too many questions. I think some people underestimate my abilities and intelligence as a result. I seem to ask questions where other people just regard it as simple common sense as to what to do whereas I think its important to consider that other angle. On the other hand, there are some common sense knowledge and skills that I clearly lack and I do need to ask questions here to make sure I understand it properly.

I guess you could say my abilities and learning is rather uneven. I can be either really fast or really slow to grasp new skills. Skills related to the physical or social realm will take me longer to pick up than most people although once I grasp it, I've really grasped it for good. Sometimes I can start out slow but all of a sudden things just sort of click and I suddenly show an enormous improvement and can end up ahead of others when I started behind.