• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Grasping Functions

Which functions are easier to understand?

• Total voters

Jaguar

Are you two ladies talking about Z's avatar, or someone else's?

sculpting

ah wait,

Through the mind of man reality is created. Without a mind to create that reality, without senses to perceive it and ground it to our foundation, it is not real.

(Unless you have lots of Ne and create stuff in your head)

very Ni-Se sort thing so I likely f'ed up the details.

sculpting

And you never saw the face immediately?

Nope. Bunch of orange lines in really cool patterns.

I see patterns everywhere though. Ocean waves, trees, clouds. If I observe the patterns they will actually create an emotive response at times-like being in love with the sea.

I very much like Z' thoughts on the math of trees swaying in the wind. I tend to see ocean waves and think of oscillating harmonic wave equations.

I want to add math structure and predictability to the patterns I see.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Fi facial expressions? Those are really easy.

I dunno, gotta ton of Ne though.
Wow, what's the difference for you between Fe and Fi facial expressions?

When I looked at Z's avi, the meaning of it, the symbolism, just sort of came to me. It's actually what I "saw" first. I see the lines and whatnot too, but they're only relevant in the sense that they help to convey the underlying meaning, and I don't see them as separate from the picture or the meaning itself-if that makes any sense.

sculpting

I cant read the intent of Fe facial expressions. Like in that instance I thought the guy was gay-she said he thought I was totally hot. An ENTP I thought felt emo-instead that look means he wants to hook up. It's real odd. But Te/Fi users-I know exactly what they need/want/are thinking. I can just look at them and respond innately.

I didnt actually try to use Fi to read/comfort people until this last year honestly. I would watch them and pick up on the subtle changes, but not do anything. Mostly as I always hung with entps who dont want you doing anything-When they get tweaky-you just give them space.

But given I can sort the Fi/Te users now-it's like magic. I know exactly what they need innately.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I understand Ne, Ti, and Fe. I have no idea what Te is, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with buildings. The S-family I don't understand at all. Si? Se? Am I in Spanish class? And I don't really get Si v. Fi. If Se is the way you feel outside stuff like the floor, wouldn't Si be the way you feel your feelings? But isn't that Fi? Fee Fi Fo Fum, less function, more...tequila.

lol.

There is this one function called Ni. Whenever I try to describe it, I end up with Ne or Si.

I have a theory. There are only seven mental functions: N, Ti, Fe, Si, Te, Fi and Se. (presented here in the order I use them) People split N up in Ne and Ni to make things symmetrical and the theory more beautiful; but really they are one and the same.
Or they are linked this strongly you can't discern them.

Extraverted Intuition versus Introverted Intuition - INTP Forum

G

Glycerine

I feel like I can grasp all the Xi better than the Xe functions. I know I USE Fe but I still find it very confusing and think Fi is easier to understand conceptually. Saying that, I am not implying that I know what's going on in XXFP user's mind since it's highly personalized. It might be because Xe functions are highly situational while Xi function seem more universal.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do think Ni is difficult to understand entirely as an Ne-user. To me, Ne seems expansive and continual... it's always generating possibilities that lead away from the current focus of attention.

Ni seems to be more connective, sudden and intermittent (at least to me). It suddenly links things from different contexts together, showing a pattern and a meaning that wasn't apparent before. I'm reminded of these trash sculptures:

04.jpg

02.jpg

Where a seemingly random assemblage of junk suddenly has pattern and meaning when seen from the right perspective. Different pieces of information suddenly align and what appeared difficult and messy suddenly makes sense.

I was careful to say "to me." I'm an Ne user, so my grasp of Ni is clearly going to be more tenuous, and it's going likely be less reliable (assuming I have access to it at all). My only real understanding can come from applying written descriptions to introspection, so I'm not going to have the same perspective as an Ni-dom. So, to me, Ne is constantly generating things, but Ni needs a kind of detachment, a waiting emptiness to fill. An Ni-dom probably has a different perspective.

Maybe it's unfair to say it always leads away, but because it is associative it does tend to lead from one association to another. It typically moves further and further away from the starting point unless some pruning or redirection happens. One can sometimes see this in an Ne-heavy conversation, where not only are there digressions, but the digressions have digressions and the original starting topic is never returned to (if anyone bothers to remember it).

In contrast, Ni seems more likely to incorporate the current focus into a larger perspective or chain of associations.

They are both expansive, but I think Ne generates options from the point of focus, while Ni expands the perspective to see the point in context.

Perhaps intermittent wasn't the best word. It does, to me, seem more bursty, with a sudden insight connecting a whole chain of associations and placing things into a larger perspective. Ne seems more continuous, with each chunk of perceived association smaller. Ni seems more inherently cross contextual (although clearly both can associate between contexts).

Again, I'm not an Ni-dom, so I don't know if they perceive Ni as being more continuous or not.

Both of these posts were helpful....

I've read people calling Ne "divergent" and Ni "convergent", and that was something which also helped differentiate the two. From that view, Ne is like a tree with branches extending outward in many directions, and Ni is a confluence, where many streams of thought meet into one larger body.

I can see that concept relating to the ideas above. I've certainly always seen Ni as being more "focused" than Ne, and NJs come across as much more composed than an NP.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just sucked everything into my skull at once. Lol.
The visuals, the meaning, all came at once?

I cant read the intent of Fe facial expressions. Like in that instance I thought the guy was gay-she said he thought I was totally hot. An ENTP I thought felt emo-instead that look means he wants to hook up. It's real odd. But Te/Fi users-I know exactly what they need/want/are thinking. I can just look at them and respond innately.

I didnt actually try to use Fi to read/comfort people until this last year honestly. I would watch them and pick up on the subtle changes, but not do anything. Mostly as I always hung with entps who dont want you doing anything-When they get tweaky-you just give them space.

But given I can sort the Fi/Te users now-it's like magic. I know exactly what they need innately.
That's incredibly interesting. I wouldn't know a difference if I saw one. I suppose I read body language and facial cues enough, but how are you deciphering an Fi "look" from an "Fe" one?