• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Secondary function - The "Troublemaker"?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I had an inspirational thought today that it's not the Fi that generally gets me in "trouble" ... it's the Ne, as my purported secondary function.

For me, Ne is all about The Possibilities; and the possibilities sometimes make me proceed off course or multi-task to infinity or venture to the unknown or even freeze in fear.

When I was younger, optimism always prevailed, so undesired outcomes (as a sub-set of The Possibilities) were glossed over or even overlooked. Now as I (continue to) get older, I see the possibilites more clearly, good and bad. Or rather, desired vs undesired. If anything, I can now be overly concerned with the negative possibilities, rather than keeping them in a good proportional balance.

It's all the "what if's" and the contemplation of them makes me find living in the moment hard; and sometimes makes me afraid to try the "new" just because something could go wrong. Part of that too is remembering the past yukky stuff that I didn't want to happen but did.

For example, I had surgery a number of years back and the Dr. told me that there was only a 2% chance of an "undesired" outcome happening, but it DID happen. That was the day I realized that using probability to reassure yourself wasn't a fool-proof technique.

Don't mistake me though; I am excited by and love possibilities; it's just that I can now tend to over-focus on them and I need to swing that back to balance by being more attuned to the present.

So what do you think? What's your secondary function, and do you sometimes see it as the "troublemaker"?

VagrantFarce

Freezing in fear in front of all the billions of possibilities in front of you sounds more like Tertiary-Si to me. :) "Jesus Christ, just think of all the horrible things that could possibly happen here! How am I supposed to know that any of them will actually benefit me?! I better sit back and not make any choices until I know what's going to happen. That way, I'm not risking anything."

To properly embrace Auxillary-Ne, you have to accept that you can't know everything up front - to have faith in your own ability to adapt creatively and intelligently. :)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Any function can be a troublemaker... even your dominant. Like my Ni that can't stop thinking about what-ifs...

If you want to look at auxiliary though. Yeah, there are times I feel emotional about things that I really should have no reason to feel so involved in. I cry at pretty much every sad scene in a movie... no matter how stupid it is. :mellow: I keep on thinking to myself, enough already but nope... my eyes are still wet.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Se gets me in trouble, people don't like Se especially high school teachers.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
OOOOOOooooOOOOOOAHHHAAHHHAAHHHHA

*I agree*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne secondary is very good for me in terms of seeing where I can go and not becoming entrenched.

However, since I overuse it, sometimes it confuses me unnecessarily (by making me too open), can create anxiety (since I imagine negative possibilities/reads on things), or leads to me being unproductive as I'm always thinking of new things to try or new strategies to try before I've accomplished my old goals or worked the old strategy long enough to be effective.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Any function can be a troublemaker...
I agree with this.

My dominant Te got me in trouble a lot when I was a kid, because when I noticed a teacher doing something "wrong", I would correct them. :doh:

My secondary Si gets me in trouble when I do this: "I don't care about that new fact! Can't we just get this job DONE already???"

My tertiary Ne gets me in trouble by letting me go off on tangents about really random sh*t that no one cares about except for me...

My inferior Fi gets me in trouble when it gets me really angry about something, and then doesn't let me say it out loud, so the act of suppressing it distracts me from other things that need doing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Hmm, Ti is usually the troublemaker. Ne/Si/Fe are just accomplices.

O

Oberon

With Ne primary and Ti secondary, I find that Ne is fairly trustworthy and Ti is not. My intuition rarely leads me astray, but my Ti can either lead me to incorrect conclusions (mainly due to starting with one or more incorrect premises) or can just leave me anxious and distracted, thinking in circles.

Qre:us

With Ne primary and Ti secondary, I find that Ne is fairly trustworthy and Ti is not. My intuition rarely leads me astray, but my Ti can either lead me to incorrect conclusions (mainly due to starting with one or more incorrect premises) or can just leave me anxious and distracted, thinking in circles.

But, the "incorrect premises" that Ti is systematically trying to process is brought in by Ne, which you're saying rarely leads you astray? :confused:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ti doesn't get me in trouble, I find it tiring to rely on but Ne is more likely to get me in trouble in other people's eyes, Fe is more likely to cause me trouble. Fe is the devil!

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Ti causes me the most trouble for sure. Most of my issues irl revolve around an ineffective way of dealing with people. I'm too logical and analytical and (subconsciously) want/expect others to value logical consistency as much as I do. I will rarely do something for the sake of social harmony and maintaining a peaceful emotional dynamic with the group if it doesn't fit in with my Ti sense of "fairness."

Most of the time, my default action is to use my Ti to demonstrate oneupmanship by pointing out a logical inconsistency, rather than giving merit to another person's feelings, regardless of the "logical inconsistencies."

Also, my Ti causes me to completely over-analyze all the variables in a situation and complicate the solution to a problem. I often find that it's difficult for me to go with the obvious meaning of something (the meaning that Ne has already picked up on via recognition of past patterns), as Ti begs for clarification upon clarification (even if I know intuitively on some level what the meaning is). Ti wants it spelled out word for word to eliminate all of the possibilities for other meanings. It's obnoxious.