• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let's end the Fe/Ti - Fi/Te wars once and for all...

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
These explain the difference entirely:

High and Low Context

Fi/Te:
Low context culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fe/Ti:
High context culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The many disputes we find on here, in my estimation, comes from an unreasonable expectation on the Fe/Ti side for the Fi/Te user to understand the context in which he or she is speaking, along with the inability of the Fi/Te user to understand that context without explicit description.

So, as far as type goes for fitting in to the spectrum, as far as I see it:

High context

ENFJ
ESFJ
INFJ
ISFJ
ENTP
ESTP
INTP
ISTP
ISFP
INFP
ESFP
ENFP
ISTJ
INTJ
ESTJ
ENTJ

Low Context

The more compatible your type is with the kind of culture you live in, the more likely you will be to engage in a leadership role. ENFJs are the natural leaders of highest context cultures, while ENTJs are the same of lowest context cultures. That shifts with the culture - so the US, a very low context culture, but not entirely so, values the leadership of ESTJs, while Iran, a much higher context culture, prefers the religious leadership of any of the xxFJ types.

Of course, your mileage may vary

Last edited:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Me too horney to Type...

Edit: Seriously I thought that it was more of a P/J thing than a Ti/Fe vs Te/Fi thang

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always have trouble telling if someone is just a bad typist or if the sarcasm is passing right over my pretty little head...

(CONTEXT! GIVE ME SOME CONTEXT! If it's a joke, why's it in the serious forumz???) :smile:

Me too horney to Type...

Type anyway -- you're only Jung once.
(and most of us, never)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well I do kinda notice this between INTP and INTJ (at least before I went over to INTPc but things don't seem nearly as bad of recent). INTJs are one of my favorite types but they always seemed a little more harsh and I always thought my own type a bit more genteel same with the ENTJs who were the least refined of the rationals.

Noticed a similar prejudice years back with the Western Germans toward the Eastern Germans. (I could have solved it all by telling them the world saw them all as Huns but I wanted to hear their opinions) Apparently the Eastern Germans act in an unrefined manner and talk in a way that is harsh on the ears.

OK I splashed around the gasoline everywhere...sumbody hand me some matches.:devil:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well I do kinda notice this between INTP and INTJ (at least before I went over to INTPc but things don't seem nearly as bad). INTJs are one of my favorite types but they always seemed a little more harsh and I always thought my own type a bit more genteel same with the ENTJs.

Noticed a similar prejudice years back with the Western Germans toward the Eastern Germans. (I could have solved it all by telling them the world saw them all as Huns but I wanted to hear their opinions) Apparently the Eastern Germans act in an unrefined manner and talk in a way that is harsh on the ears.

OK I splashed around the gasoline everywhere...sumbody hand me so matches.:devil:

*lights you on fire, pushes you down the stairs, feels proud for being helpful*

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
How dreadfull! I know it says 'no smoking' but can we take the elevator next time darling?

Hmmm...well I guess since I have Fi/Te and you have Ti/Fe I didn't understand the nuances of your high context culture when you splashed gasoline around, you fucking West German.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmmm...well I guess since I have Fi/Te and you have Ti/Fe I didn't understand the nuances of your high context culture when you splashed gasoline around, you fucking West German.

Indeed! Those half types (those with Te or Fi) are really not much better...do we have to include them...**eyes blinkings expectantly** ;)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
The many disputes we find on here, in my estimation, comes from an unreasonable expectation on the Fe/Ti side for the Fi/Te user to understand the context in which he or she is speaking, along with the inability of the Fi/Te user to understand that context without explicit description.

I don't know if this works trying to extract it to function usage.

Considering and assuming that each culture / sub-culture has the same proportion of typological distribution, how then does low or high culture even form? Extrapolating from your hypothesis, it would require a predominance of one type over another to create and maintain said culture.

And each individual then comes with their own inherent cultural bias, either low or high, regardless of type. And interact here. I would thus extrapolate that the Fe users from various high / high cultures should have the absolute least in common and the most conflict, not knowing the unspoken tenets of the other.

Perhaps I am just not seeing what you mean. I think a cultural example of this is French-Canadian / English-Canadian divide; if you're not a francophone, you don't know the "rules" baked into that community. But how does that ascribe to type?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So are the high context people the ones who eat a chicken leg with a knife and fork?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I don't know if this works trying to extract it to function usage.

Considering and assuming that each culture / sub-culture has the same proportion of typological distribution, how then does low or high culture even form? Extrapolating from your hypothesis, it would require a predominance of one type over another to create and maintain said culture.

Environment. We have to take different strategies to cope with what Mother Nature throws at us.

And each individual then comes with their own inherent cultural bias, either low or high, regardless of type. And interact here. I would thus extrapolate that the Fe users from various high / high cultures should have the absolute least in common and the most conflict, not knowing the unspoken tenets of the other.

You're absolutely right about that one. See: Islamic vs. Christian Fundamentalism.

Perhaps I am just not seeing what you mean. I think a cultural example of this is French-Canadian / English-Canadian divide; if you're not a francophone, you don't know the "rules" baked into that community. But how does that ascribe to type?

Fe is essentially all about these rules.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So are the high context people the ones who eat a chicken leg with a knife and fork?

Yes and we hold the fork in our left hand and the knife in our right.

Now a half type (either Te or Fi) might use a knife and fork on a chicken leg but they would cut the meat off the chicken and then use the fork to eat the meat. Or simply hold the knife and fork in the wrong hands.

a Ti/Fe on the other hand will use the knife and fork at the same time to lift the food off of the plate.

I don't know what our Asian counterpart is with chopsticks but am sure there is a germane distinguishing feature there too. ;)

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
T

High context

ENFJ
ESFJ
INFJ
ISFJ
ENTP
ESTP
INTP
ISTP
ISFP
INFP
ESFP
ENFP
ISTJ
INTJ
ESTJ
ENTJ
I like you. :yes:
It doesn't matter if this makes a lick of sense...
I'm embracing it. :nerd:

The problem is that high-context societies are generally the ones who don't value female leadership! My greatness is wasted. Pfft.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Now a half type (either Te or Fi) might use a knife and fork on a chicken leg but they would cut the meat off the chicken and then use the fork to eat the meat. Or simply hold the knife and fork in the wrong hands.

a Ti/Fe on the other hand will use the knife and fork at the same time to lift the food off of the plate.

I don't know what our Asian counterpart is with chopsticks but am sure there is a germane distinguishing feature there too. ;)

This is dead on accurate. I match that Ti/Fe to a T. We lick the knives too.

Asian style is lift bowl to mouth and shovel. Would this more relate to SeNi?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Fe is essentially all about these rules.

Then Fi never understands the rules? Or chooses not to conform to the rules?

Because what I hear you saying is Fi users don't know what the "rules" are.

And you're positing that the rules matter less in a low culture, therefore Fi gets an easier go?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I don't know what you mean by half-breeds. People have Ti and Fe or Te and Fi.

*stabs you with a chopstick*

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Then Fi never understands the rules? Or chooses not to conform to the rules?

Because what I hear you saying is Fi users don't know what the "rules" are.

And you're positing that the rules matter less in a low culture, therefore Fi gets an easier go?

The rules and expectations people have of one another are much more implicit in high context culture. In low context cultures, there is the understanding that parties will be more explicit in the expectations and rules they have of one another.

Or as Amar calls it, forming their own personal "social contracts".

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know what you mean by half-breeds. People have Ti and Fe or Te and Fi.

*stabs you with a chopstick*

Yes that correct..bit of a typo to make sure all of you were on your toes...to illustrate the differance that I have with the OP...Ne with Ti and Fe is the most genteel. Those with Ni are just as half types.

Ouch, you caught my eye with that chopstick.;)