• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Tertiary

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Described with examples...

Good tertiary Ne:
"OMG look at that cool thing! I can MAKE stuff out of that!" *begins to search for scissors and Elmer's Glue*
"Dude, is it just me or does that cloud look like a guy with a funny mustache?"
"...Sure, why not? No harm in trying!"

Bad tertiary Ne:
"GAH I don't know what to do! There's no rational choice here!!! I can't decide!!!!!! *sigh* FINE, I'll just pick a random thing!"
"Well, I could either do this fun thing, or I could finish my dull and monotonous work... or HEY LOOK it's a cool new thing!" *proceeds to do pointless Google searching for an hour to avoid the annoying work that needs to be done*

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok people, I want to hear some bitching about tertiary Te and tertiary Si specifically! Out with it!!!

Sometimes I am far too aware of my internal state. I have a feel of impending illness, like something is wrong with the inner workings of my body.

Especially if the weather is gloomy or depressing, I have this feeling of something very wrong on the horizon. I can't get comfortable, I feel trapped in my own skin, etc.

wow. same here. i am crazily sensitive to everything i ingest. which can be wonderful as far as knowing myself, but also can be so annoying; hard to join everyone else on a pub crawl fueled by greasy pizza and pitchers of beer when every step of the way you feel your body crying out, "NOOOOOO!"

weather affects me deeply (unfortunately, i live in the midwest where the changes are frequent and varied!)....changes in barometric pressure can make my ears pop and give me a headache that feels like a vice. same with sudden drastic changes in temperature, like going into a very warm room after going through a blizzard outside - that makes me literally dizzy.
if it's too dry, i cough, get nosebleeds, and generally just feel "off"; less attuned to my emotional/intuitive faculties and more prone to let my scary Ti side dominate. i am a believer in the "body/mind connection" simply based on having these kinds of experiences all my life.

edit: not asked for, but i think i'll balance my complaints with some positives of the tertiary Si i've noticed anyway.

i feel like i have a database of images in my head. not just vague outlines, but real snapshots, like a visual encyclopedia. sometimes these images also have associated sounds, smells or textures included with them (i have considered that i may be synesthetic because of my strong sensory associations, but that's another ramble altogether)... as a visual artist this is very helpful to me. if someone says "draw a tree" i have several tree images to choose from. i can trust secondary Ne to bring me into a more creative, elaborative place with my rendered image in the end, but it's the tertiary Si's foundation of forms that gets me started.

i have a rather strong visual memory. i will remember that the scissors are at the top right of the cluttered desk, just under the yellow papers...things like that. (this is useful in many scenarios, when drinking especially).

if i see an image that is derivative of something else, i will quickly recognize it. homages in art and movies are easy and natural to pick up on in this way.

i tend to get caught up in the details of the aesthetics of things more than focusing on the order of how these components all fit together, though (thanks for nothin', Ti!), so i would not be too good at configuring a cool maze, though i bet i could come up with the perfect plants to grow around it to make it memorable.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Good Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Noble, strong-willed, and determined. Relates to other people, and allows you to understand their plight. Pleas to Ni-Te to be considerate of their effects on others. Gives a strong sense of who you are.

Usually encouraged by positive social interactions and self-discovery.

Bad Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Stubborn, judgmental asshole with a penchant for being a wet-blanket. Causes endless frustrations with Se due to an "I'm above that" mentality. Vengeful.

Usually caused by something stressful, like a bad break-up or feeling betrayed. Particularly bad in youth, though eases significantly with maturity.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
tertiary Ni at work- People were pointing finger at me to fix something and I tried pointing it at issue which was not under my control. They kept pushing back. I went on ignore mode, forcing the correct party to fix the problem.

healthy Ni at work - I have the ability to actually take control. I dig into the problem that is under someone elses control and spend as much time as I can understanding it, then walk them through the changes or do it myself explaining things along the way.

B

brainheart

Ok people, I want to hear some bitching about tertiary Te and tertiary Si specifically! Out with it!!!

Well, it's specifically dominant Ti working in concert with Si... I've really noticed it because my husband's been gone for a few days and I revert to my hyper-introverted state when he's gone. (I become a good case study.)

Fucking Ti+Si turns me into an emotionless shell that spends twelve hours a day on typology forms, desiring as much quotable information as possible. I read the same stupid-ass shit over and over, I have no concept of time or priorities, I eat like shit, I forget to brush my teeth, I no longer listen to music, the external world in its present tense no longer exists, nor is there a future.

I become an internet post instead of a human being.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Noble, strong-willed, and determined. Relates to other people, and allows you to understand their plight. Pleas to Ni-Te to be considerate of their effects on others. Gives a strong sense of who you are.

Usually encouraged by positive social interactions and self-discovery.

Bad Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Stubborn, judgmental asshole with a penchant for being a wet-blanket. Causes endless frustrations with Se due to an "I'm above that" mentality. Vengeful.

Usually caused by something stressful, like a bad break-up or feeling betrayed. Particularly bad in youth, though eases significantly with maturity.

Nice assessment.

My boss is one of the INTJs who went through radical changes during my long employment here, and you've described his Mr. Hyde / Dr. Jeckyl phases to a T.

He was around 50 when he flipped, and I think the flip was triggered by being pushed to his breaking point and suffering health issues, which made him realize he'd die if he didn't "let go." Letting go seems to have let his Fi flip over.

Well, it's specifically dominant Ti working in concert with Si... I've really noticed it because my husband's been gone for a few days and I revert to my hyper-introverted state when he's gone. (I become a good case study.)

Fucking Ti+Si turns me into an emotionless shell that spends twelve hours a day on typology forms, desiring as much quotable information as possible. I read the same stupid-ass shit over and over, I have no concept of time or priorities, I eat like shit, I forget to brush my teeth, I no longer listen to music, the external world in its present tense no longer exists, nor is there a future.

Yeah, it's easy to become isolated, alone, and entrenched -- and also just mulling over the past and lost in ideas and books and media and projects you've already completed long ago -- instead of engaging the present moment and people.

Positive Si for me has been a way to ground myself when I Ne out too much and get scattered, unfocused, and lost amid possibilities. In the last few years, I've also been driven to extrovert a lot and can compare drain my reserves; and holing up and anchoring to what I know and have done before is what I need sometimes, to recharge. It also gives me a grounding with people, esp family, and a sense of integrity between my past and present. I also recall and savor experiences (good and bad) that were meaningful to me.

niberrizbe25

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
4/7
I don’t know if is healthy or not but I seldom use my tertiary function... Usually when I have to analyze things in a cold logical way I drift into my ENTP tendencies and revel in the abstraction of facts until I can make some sense of it. I don’t like to impose my views into other people or control my environment like the Te dictates. Instead, I analyze the best option and act accordingly in my Ne Fi kind of way. Te seems to be a really tyrannical part of my personality, (no offence ENTJ's and ESTJ; we need tough minded people like you.) The only times that I let my Te free rein is during an emergency or sports. Then it is truly useful to leave the more sensible functions behind. During a fight I think of only how to hurt my opponent and none of the sensibilities or potential consequences. This is why I try to subdue this part of myself... Plus I don’t see why Fi and Ti can’t :hug: and work together inside my head. I find that they meld very nicely. End product = a nerdy ENFP. Who can stop me now!!! :D

sculpting

I don’t know if is healthy or not but I seldom use my tertiary function... Usually when I have to analyze things in a cold logical way I drift into my ENTP tendencies and revel in the abstraction of facts until I can make some sense of it. I don’t like to impose my views into other people or control my environment like the Te dictates. Instead, I analyze the best option and act accordingly in my Ne Fi kind of way. Te seems to be a really tyrannical part of my personality, (no offence ENTJ's and ESTJ; we need tough minded people like you.) The only times that I let my Te free rein is during an emergency or sports. Then it is truly useful to leave the more sensible functions behind. During a fight I think of only how to hurt my opponent and none of the sensibilities or potential consequences. This is why I try to subdue this part of myself... Plus I don’t see why Fi and Ti can’t :hug: and work together inside my head. I find that they meld very nicely. End product = a nerdy ENFP. Who can stop me now!!! :D

It gets all tangled in the Fi.

Uhh.. You're thinking of PMS.

YES! That was very insightful. Awesome! Yes this was how I feel at PMS-but it "feels" Te with no Fi buffer and little Ne optimism. It feels shallow, hollow, insubstantial, with no real fortitude. Like you'd expect tertiary Te in isolation to be.

Which means the rest of the time I may think I am using Te in isolation but really blending it with a whole bunch of other stuff. (Damn INTJs)

Hugs for the ENTJs of the world!

niberrizbe25

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
4/7

My friend what is the point of learning if dont use this knowledge? When are you going to use all this psychological knowledge and take over the world? I say, get out there and show people the power of knowing! :nerd: They are too busy monitoring the ENTPs and ENTJs. They will never expect it from the quite INTP Please remember Nico and all the ENFP's when you have complete control over all our fates... :D

sculpting

Depends on your moral values. I find that mine dont clash with logic.

oh sorry, I was thinking outloud with my fingers. meh.

The Fi gets all tangled up with the Te-our tert Te, thus some of the things you observe are a result of that combination. But it sounds very familiar. :)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
The worst of tertiry Fi - failing to express ones emotions, internalising them so that they build up pressure until you explode.

The best: The ability to remain calm and centred under stress, to display nothing of the inner thought processes until ready to do so.

VagrantFarce

Good Si: Ah, I know what to expect from this. :nerd:

Bad Si: Oh god, I don't know what to expect from this! :peepwall:

B

brainheart

My friend what is the point of learning if dont use this knowledge? When are you going to use all this psychological knowledge and take over the world? I say, get out there and show people the power of knowing! :nerd: They are too busy monitoring the ENTPs and ENTJs. They will never expect it from the quite INTP Please remember Nico and all the ENFP's when you have complete control over all our fates... :D

Yeah, but it's not like it's real knowledge... it's stuff other people have figured out, not me, and I'm re-hashing it. My real insight happens when I'm engaging in life- not sifting through websites and books. That's when all of the cool ideas come into my head. [Kind of like John Nash (in the A Beautiful Mind movie) when he rides around his bike to get original ideas. (Not comparing myself to John Nash, just to how his ideas come.)]

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Healthy Fi for me is also about stopping to realize the human factor of a situation. I stop and understand the limitations and needs of the people involved because I stop and remind myself that I'm working with people that are incapable of working like robots. Once I switch over into that mode, I'm still utilizing Si and Te, but I've allowed myself to slow down to become empathic. Most of the time though, for me, being empathic works like 60% of the time, so it's not always reliable as a solution.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wanna hear more from people with Tertiary Ne!!!

*cricket chirping*

... sigh... :(

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is actually a good example of how Fi can bother me, so I guess it would apply to tertiary Fi as well:

I dislike it when people put too much weight on intentions and no weight at all to what ACTUALLY happened. As immature Fi it can be a bit of a "Well I didnt MEAN to do put you in a bad position, so you cant blame me".

*standing ovation*

FUCK Fi!

Some idiot kid whacked me the other day because he was oblivious to his surroundings. After I tried to get the kid to understand my point:
--stop screwing around
--even if you were sure no one was in your way, you still shouldnt be doing that
--STFU and admit that you were an idiot

but noooooo...his idiot mother was intent on convincing me that because "He didnt mean it", I should therefore, "just move on". :doh: How is he going to learn about minding others and his surroundings???

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You made a big deal...out of *that*????

Seriously, it's one thing to accidentily do something that causes real harm, it's quite another to be jumping all over someone coz they did something small that was due to momentary clumsiness. Just coz you're better at being 'present' in your surroundings, doesn't mean you get to demand the same from others and call them a moron when they fail.

But wait..I understand...Fi isn't your strenght, I guess..maybe the mom should've realized that your weakness in fact is showing understanding to others point of view. *ponders*