• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Tertiary

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
The only thing we're sharing atm is the indignation that comes with Fi. He's appalled someone would smack him in the face like that, and I'm appalled that he's being that shortsighted about it.

It's the same level of offense.

I think you're owed a genuine apology from him.

I also think he's owed a genuine apology from the person who smacked him in the face.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, okay, okay, we all need to apologize, now can we talk about tertiaries again?

(Jesus H. Christ)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I'm appalled that we're discussing it. What about other tertiaries (desperate attempt to get back on track *AHEM*).

Better do it too, because Bun-Bun's pissed off

<---See?

Bad Fe: subconsciously excluding others because they don't fit a norm.

Good Fe:

[youtube="_V5Xmr2SyV4"]What happened when John's Tert Fe emerged[/youtube]

I realize you might disagree on that one, but if you'd like to discuss further, hit me up outside of the thread.

B

brainheart

One of my most absolute favorite songs ever. And I agree.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I realize there's been a lot of derailing lately, LL, but relax, this was sorta still on topic, and I wasn't going to let my own thread go down derailing avenue ;)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So what is tertiary Se good and bad?

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
It's the same level of offense.

I think you're owed a genuine apology from him.

I also think he's owed a genuine apology from the person who smacked him in the face.

I'm sorry, too.

Just in case it's randomly deemed necessary of me in this thread at some point.

On topic, anyone have any more examples of good and bad tert Se? I'm trying to see if I recognize any of it in me-self.

B

brainheart

Could tertiary Fe also be caring too much what others think of you? Do you think people often confuse tertiary with inferior? Cause I'm suspecting that may be the case for me...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm sorry, too.

Just in case it's randomly deemed necessary of me in this thread at some point.

On topic, anyone have any more examples of good and bad tert Se? I'm trying to see if I recognize any of it in me-self.

What would be a good use of Tert Se. The thing you commented about I see alot within my ENFJ wife, especially about kids that are not mannered and oblivious to their surroundings.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
Tert. Fi:

- Random bursts of emotions, uncontrollable on short term, like a roar. Paranoid convictions, unexplainable pathos followed by shame.

+ Internal compass, navigates between possibilities offered by Ni, and tells Te what is and what isn't worthy of constructing. Integrating values, empathizing with other people's concerns even if they seem illogical.

YES THIS. But I am still learning that second part.....

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
Bad Tert. Fi for an INTJ:

Stubborn, judgmental asshole with a penchant for being a wet-blanket. Causes endless frustrations with Se due to an "I'm above that" mentality. Vengeful.

Goodness. You just literally summed up someone I know. An INTJ fellow of mine.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This may just be a tertiary F thing, but who is any more than reactively aware of their tertiary function? Anyone? I notice people talk up their tertiary functions, but can rarely if ever be inveigled to blow their inferior horn. Why is that? The inferior function is the basement bogeyman, right. It exists for dragging you to hell back onto course--if you get too far into your dominant function, the inferior kicks your ass, and if you get too far from your dominant, again, inferior kicks your ass. The tertiary is one step above the inferior and yet we all talk about it like it's accessible. That whole relief role makes it a mythologically keyed in and most important device, yeah? A source of creativity. But useable? Consciously accessible? Or just there? Present. The place you go before the basement.

Good point, but the tertiary is noticeably more consciously accessible than the inferior, especially for people who already have a good grasp on the auxiliary.

Your whole idea here is definitely something I think people who claim to be super proficient in shadow functions should consider, though.

What would good and bad Te tert look like out of curiosity? :huh: And before you grumpily state that someone already said that, I wanted to have some more examples. Thanks.

Good tert Te: There's an important value that needs to be upheld here, so I'm going to take charge of the situation firmly but respectfully and make sure the right thing gets done.

Bad tert Te: Everyone here is clearly incompetent, so it looks like I'm going to have to crack the whip and scream at people to get what I want out of these morons. I try to be a nice person, but these assholes are throwing it back in my face just to spite me, so no more Mr. Nice Guy!

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Could tertiary Fe also be caring too much what others think of you? Do you think people often confuse tertiary with inferior? Cause I'm suspecting that may be the case for me...

Yes, absolutely. When Tert Fe emerges, you realize that it's your internal joy that needs to be spread among the world, rather than the external validation of others shared with you.

This is not an easy process, by any stretch of the imagination.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm appalled that we're discussing it. What about other tertiaries (desperate attempt to get back on track *AHEM*).

Better do it, too because Bun-Bun's pissed off!

<---See?

bun bun can suck it. :devil:

So what is tertiary Se good and bad?

What would be a good use of Tert Se. The thing you commented about I see alot within my ENFJ wife, especially about kids that are not mannered and oblivious to their surroundings.

Tertiary Se:

When Fe/Te fail, Vanity is put on a pedestal as some sort of savior. Eg: "Well if I can just be physically bold and impressive, people WILL listen to me and I can get past this Fe/Te failure".

Negative: teenager obsesses with vanity about his physique and 'image'.
Positive: Mature individual is able to temporarily put his intuitive whims on pause (thus taking concrete action), be healthfully aware of health/physical vitality, and relax into the moment without necessarily having to be bold/reckless.

This is why Se tert is often associated with: stress relief exercise, manipulative image building, socially motivated partying and enjoying the pure aesthetics of art.