• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

entj or intj?

ama

MBTI Type
INTP
How can you tell an ENTJ from an INTJ? I know, this should be easy, but I've been having trouble "typing" one of my friends for a while now. I'm pretty sure he's one of those two types.

He's a hard-working biology student, active in several clubs, has a lot of friends, etc. but doesn't seem to particularly want to manage other people, or have control over them. Isn't that an important thing to ENTJs?

I have two INTJ friends and he doesn't seem quite like an INTJ to me.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
How many stupid sexual jokes does he make?

redacted

"but doesn't seem to particularly want to manage other people, or have control over them."

well he's probably not Te dominant then. INTJ.

p.s. I vs. E is NOT boolean. it's a spectrum.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The standing distinction is, and I quote, "ENTJ, the Wizard of Oz; INTJ, the man behind the curtain."

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
How can you tell an ENTJ from an INTJ? I know, this should be easy, but I've been having trouble "typing" one of my friends for a while now. I'm pretty sure he's one of those two types.

The first one tends to initiate contact with people more often, tends to say more what's on his mind, acts more before he speaks, is more enthusiastic and noticeably louder.

He's a hard-working biology student, active in several clubs, has a lot of friends, etc. but doesn't seem to particularly want to manage other people, or have control over them. Isn't that an important thing to ENTJs?

Supposedly it is. However, when you think about it, it doesn't really make any sense for the type that is supposedly the "leader" in the MBTI.

I think that anyone that is actually interested in controlling and managing people for its own sake is not a leader. Such a person would seem more to have a mental illness of some sort and be a "Little Dictactor". Little Dictactors achieve very little in this world apart from alienating themselves from others. They might be feared for their attitude, but when they have their back turned people's resentment surfaces. They only manage to anger others and eventually people gang up on them.

I think that a real leader doesn't take control, but senses the moment where other people are giving it to him. A real leader is not interested in controlling people but in helping facilitate team decisions. A leader must not impose other people to do things (the only exception is in a crisis). Leaders get out the best out of others and make them feel good.

I consider myself an ENTJ and I've never been seen as controlling or wanting to manage other people. Then again, I'm not what one would describe a leader either, even if I have often landed in such a role. However, I have seen other ENTJ's be more of the leader types and they did not show signs of controlling people outside situations where that possibility was actually given to them by others.

I have two INTJ friends and he doesn't seem quite like an INTJ to me.

Maybe just a well developped ENTJ then?

ama

MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for replying! From what people here have said, it seems that he's probably an INTJ.

That does make sense. I keep forgetting how extroverted an introvert can act when they're with friends, and come to think of it, he's not really loud or anything with most people.

"How many sexual jokes does he make?" Haha, not many.

So... INTJ. Cool. :)

bai_lin83

so that's why.. hmmm.... now, that just gave me an insight. thanks! ;)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've had friends before that never saw me except in the company of my best friends. One day we were talking about MBTI and it came up that I was an INTJ. One of my friends responds with, "You're an I?!" ...and I had known this guy for years. So I'd have to agree that E/I isn't the easiest to tell when in the company of friends. A good indicator is that an I will tend to "zone out" at least occasionally, even amongst friends after awhile.

Now...when you're not in the company of friends...we can still both be extraverted and appear similar...but it will be natural for an ENTJ, and probably will have been learned/practiced by an INTJ.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks for replying! From what people here have said, it seems that he's probably an INTJ.

That does make sense. I keep forgetting how extroverted an introvert can act when they're with friends, and come to think of it, he's not really loud or anything with most people.

"How many sexual jokes does he make?" Haha, not many.

So... INTJ. Cool. :)

It's fairly common for INxJ's to be mistaken for an extravert.

MBTI Type
ENTP
maybe he's ESTJ

I'm often baffled on these forums by the blatant assumption that no one in college is an SJ. In fact, nothing in your description of him suggests anything more about his perceiving function than the fact that it's probably introverted (Si or Ni)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As mentioned -- why not ESTJ, or ISTJ? or even some non-J type entirely?

He's a hard-working biology student, active in several clubs, has a lot of friends, etc.
This doesn't sound like Ni-dom (INTJs live in their heads more often than not).

but doesn't seem to particularly want to manage other people, or have control over them. Isn't that an important thing to ENTJs?
...aaand this doesn't sound like Te-dom either. Maybe he's ESTP?

It'd help if you gave a fuller description of your friend.

capricorn009

That's the same question I had...I seem like I bounce back and forth between
ENTJ and INTJ sometimes. Employers often describe me as being the opposite
of introverted, my friends would say the same, but I feel similar to some of the
fictional INTJs I've seen...I get frustrated when others blindly believe different
social systems even when the hidden rules of belonging prove to be a hindrance