• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function combinations

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hi there. I've been thinking about some different takes on the mbti functions and how it is related to type sparingly for the past few weeks or so. Some people believe people only use their type's four functions, others believe we use all of the functions (the shadow functions too). Reason being everyone displays traits from all functions at some point or another. I've come up with some function combos to help support the four-function-only idea. Judging functions combine with their opposite judging function to make a new synthetic judging function, and likewise for the perceiving functions. Order is important, as it decides the directional focus of the synthetic function (E/I):

Fi+Te = Ti. Fi feels there is usually always something deeper to something than what Te quantifies. So, Fi works with Te to pull apart and analyze the chosen thing, mimicking the critical nature of Ti.
Te+Fi = Fe. Te wishes to organize its environment based on logic and fact, but sometimes this can affect people around the Te user negatively, possibly ruining the process of establishing order. Fi plays the part in keeping people on good terms with the Te user, giving value to the consideration of others, and to connect with them to help achieve a plan set by Te.

Ti+Fe = Fi. Ti is deeply analytical. It believes in critical assessment and avoiding self-contradiction. Fe notices others' defined wants and desires. This leads to Ti creating personal values that aren't purely objective based on what it analyzes in other people. This combination creates synthetic Fi based on systematic but subjective desire to connect with those around the Ti+Fe user by creating their own values and underlying feeling tones.
Fe+Ti = Te. Fe wants to connect and fit in with others, which may require helping them individually. Ti takes note of this, and it also seeks to make sure Fe doesn't contradict itself by catering to the connection of others in a biased manner. This can replicate Te by establishing an order on connecting with other people, creating a fair and balanced criteria when using Fe.

Si+Ne = Ni. Si collects data and compares old situations with similar new ones. Combined with the possibility aspect of Ne, Si can undermine patterns in the past and present and predict future patterns, even if they're a seemingly random vision. This combination can create a synthetic Ni.
Ne+Si = Se. Ne sees connections and possibilities. Combined with Si, attention to detail becomes easier and Ne can become more outwardly involved in the immediate world. This enables Ne to follow physical impulses rather than theoretical ones, mimicking Se.

Ni+Se = Si. Ni has a special vision, but it still needs data to piece this vision together. Se acts as a make-shift physical data collector for Ni, serving as the fuel tank for Ni to draw upon. This process enables the two functions to replicate Si by putting value in collecting and comparing information from the past as well as the present and the future.
Se+Ni = Ne. Se observes physical environment and takes impulsive action. Combined with Ni, Se realizes previously unimagined realizations and follows them on impulsive tangents. This replicates Ne as it looks like the user is making random connections (often based on physical observations).

it's a bit brief and not entirely finished, but I think it makes sense (otherwise I wouldn't post it). What do you think? possibile? bullcrap?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just commenting on the one I understand right now....

Ti+Fe = Fi. Ti is deeply analytical. It believes in critical assessment and avoiding self-contradiction. Fe notices others' defined wants and desires. This leads to Ti creating personal values that aren't purely objective a personal values framework that is consciously based on what it analyzes in other people. This combination creates synthetic Fi based on systematic but subjective desire to connect with those around the Ti+Fe user by creating their own values and underlying feeling tones.

See correction above.

I think the INTP is:
- Consciously aware of the values system being created.
- Can distinguish between that values system and the normal Ti approach.
- Choose when each is applicable.
- The approach is utilitarian and pragmatic, which is different from the instinctive foundational Fi value system of the IxFP. IOW, the "Fi emulation" is a tool to be used.

... but...
... still thinking.

(iow I reserve the right to change my mind! :) )

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Maybe you're on to something. It's all in the interpretation anyway. All I know is that I keep relating to the Ti descriptions and not with the Te ones.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think this echoes the premise that the functions look different in every type since the types are dynamic (the study of the order of functions is actually known as type dynamics...)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Again, when you understand that there are only four functions, and look at the orientations as separate factors, then it makes sense why they would play out this way.

niberrizbe25

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
4/7
Fi+Te = Ti. Fi feels there is usually always something deeper to something than what Te quantifies. So, Fi works with Te to pull apart and analyze the chosen thing, mimicking the critical nature of Ti.

Hum... If this is true then maybe I don't have a split personality as I previously thought... It would make sense because I have no problem with cold logic but still consider myself a Fi user. I think that you are right about this. After all nothing in the psyche can be so deffenately separated without overlap.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just commenting on the one I understand right now....

See correction above.

I think the INTP is:
- Consciously aware of the values system being created.
- Can distinguish between that values system and the normal Ti approach.
- Choose when each is applicable.
- The approach is utilitarian and pragmatic, which is different from the instinctive foundational Fi value system of the IxFP. IOW, the "Fi emulation" is a tool to be used.

... but...
... still thinking.

(iow I reserve the right to change my mind! :) )

this is fine. I appreciate feedback since I am not a Fe or Ti user, so the Fi/Te combinations fit me personally.

by the way, I presented each combo in two different orders, but I'm not implying that your functions must be in that order to make use of that function combination.

For instance, as an INFP, I can use a Te+Fi combo, and I find that my Fi is self-oriented and usually to achieve an Fe effect my Te must put my Fi into a different gear so to speak. Te tells Fi to be fair and not as self-centered.

I often find mbti theory has a lot of house rules, and this is one of mine. Just throwing it out there, even if it's not quite original.

Eric B said:
Again, when you understand that there are only four functions, and look at the orientations as separate factors, then it makes sense why they would play out this way.

So has this been explained in this exact manner before? I'm sure it has in some form, I haven't read extensively on this subject but wanted feedback.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I've noticed that behaviorally, combinations of two functions can add up to resemble a behavioral manifestation of a third function, but on a cognitive level, two functions do not really add up to affect our cognition in a way that's similar to a third function. In other words, Ne+Si may appear to resemble Se outwardly, but Ne+Si do not actually affect my cognition in a way that resembles Se.

Case example:

As an ENTP, I have Ne/Si, and my dominant Ne gives in me the desire to use the external environment as a source for traveling down novel tangents, while inferior Si allows me to value and seek a (weak, mind you) database of sensory details. Thus, I have this desire to travel the world and soak in all the novel sensory details of new places and atmospheres.

My desire to travel is not parallel to the desire to travel that Se causes in SPs. I do not value rich sensory experience purely for the sake of sensory experience as a source for feeding into my impulsive instincts. Rather, I value novel experiences (be it through traveling or reading an interesting news article), and my inferior Si adds to the mix a desire for gathering and paying attention to a sensory details, allowing me to value novel physical experiences as a subset of novel experiences.

On the surface, this desire to travel may make me look like an Se-er, but given that the cognition that causes this behavior to manifest does not resemble Se in the least, it's inaccurate to say that this trait is a result of Se. Rather, it's a behavioral manifestation of the combination of Ne/Si and merely looks like Se externally to an outside observer.