• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beauty/Attraction and the functions

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
This is kind of interesting to me. For the past 15 years people have been telling my wife and I that we look like brother and sister. Despite being MBTI polar opposites, we have many similarities, such as fitness habits, lifestyle choices, taste in foods, music, etc. There just might be something to what you said. We choose people who remind us of the parts of ourselves we like in some way, in some cases physical, and in others differently maybe. Hmmm. :thinking:

I do know that when I met my wife's Dad, I was kind of shocked in that he is a gregarious extravert like me (maybe ESFX) and when he was younger he had long hair and was fit, like I am now. So somehow, I have thought that my wifey may have selected me as part of a subliminal Electra complex. :laugh:

LOL this is not unusual for people to be attracted to really similar people. I have met other couples who even describe their partner as "they look like my sibling" or other people looking think that. That's also why real life siblings sometimes get mistaken for couples - all strangers read sometimes is your comfort/intimacy with one another, not the kind of closeness . Or actual couples get mistaken for siblings (I've seen this more with same sex couples).

As for choosing people that remind you of your parents or siblings, I think that's true more when the person actually had a *good* relationship with their parent. It does make sense in that they are already used to and comfortably having hopefully a good, functional relationship with a 'type' of person (using Typology, a person with X,Y,Z dominant functions).

I think it's more interesting when a person keeps dating 'the same person' over and over. I'm not really sure how to take that, to be flattered or you know, the opposite of flattered.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I'm the same way with art. Not that I don't care for symbolism and content in art, but is that what I first look take interest in it for? No. And in music, I'm attracted specifically to the sounds first. Even in vocals, it's the sound and timbre of the voices. Not the lyrics. Lyrics are more like icing on the cake for me. And hell, sometimes I find beauty in the most insane lyrics, that are dimetrically opposed to my values, just because how "Hack the heads off little girls. Put on my wall!"

I do the same with music- it's the sound first that draws me in... I sometimes don't know the lyrics to songs I really like :doh:

Saturday Night, by the misfits, is a pretty marvelously psycho song as well :devil:

I guess that Se captivates me first with things and then is followed up by the other functions- image and sound before meanings :)

Oh noez! i do these things with music too...could i be an....an...

an S!!! :confused: dun dun DUUUNNNN :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:yay:

you're welcome to come over BC ;)

my ENFJ sis knows the lyrics to EVERY song and occasionally points out things like "I bet she's so sad because..." about paintings :laugh:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Describing something as "beautiful" just means that it's poking endorphin buttons in your brain - maybe in function terms, it would be somehow "confirming" or "illustrating" how your functions operate together.

i believe that for different types the reward system(release of endorphin and other chemicals) works differently on same functions. but it depends on other factors also than type, like how someone perceives the situation based on past experiences(how the reward system has developed to that function and i dont believe that its based on the function strength). and how the person associates the function thats poked, like if someone would associate use of Ti with their first boyfriend that was the sweetest guy ever, but someone the same type who didnt got boyfriend with Ti would have the reward system differently on talking to person using Ti. but two people same type have reward system working on same function unless its been trained for other functions.