• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Refuge or a Trap?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
struggled with this one - my guess was 74 as well. The 7 was so confusing I thought it might be an 8 and the 4 looks a bit like like a 1.

This test is used by Optometrist to determine whether or not you have red/green colorblindness. If you can't clearly see the "74" then you have it to some degree.

There are other circular blotches with other numbers and of different colors to detect other types of colorblindness.

:D

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So MBTI helps the chaotic or depressed personality improve themselves by becoming an authoritarian personality with a ready-made way of thinking.

How did you get to authoritarian?

I think MBTI can be a trap, but I'm not clear on how you go to authoritarian. MBTI gives you a solid identity and a reference point to relate to so they feel more permanent, more secure.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This test is used by Optometrist to determine whether or not you have red/green colorblindness. If you can't clearly see the "74" then you have it to some degree.

There are other circular blotches with other numbers and of different colors to detect other types of colorblindness.

:D

Interesting. Nobody every said I had colorblindness before. Either my eyes are getting worse or it is not so good of a test. I think I can see red and green fine though... Not so good at those crazy colors like, teal or magenta and things like that. It's more not knowing what the words are. That might be more of a male/female difference :)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting. Nobody every said I had colorblindness before. Either my eyes are getting worse or it is not so good of a test.

As I understand it there is "partial" and "full" colorblindness. You might very well be on the cusp...or the test sucks. :newwink:

I think I can see red and green fine though... Not so good at those crazy colors like, teal or magenta and things like that. It's more not knowing what the words are. That might be more of a male/female difference :)

Yeah, once "fuscia" and "burnt umber" get thrown into the mix I am dead in the water. I'm a crayola color kind of guy, I've got other shit to worry about. :laugh:

I used to work for an Optometrist when I was in high school. I did the pre-exams oftern. It was fun. My depth perception (3-D glasses test) is horrid. I'm amazed I don't walk into stuff more often than I do, which is frequently. :doh:

Frank

MBTI is a refuge for the chaotic and the depressed.

MBTI provides a structured way of thinking that is clung to as a drowning man clings to driftwood.

So MBTI helps the chaotic or depressed personality improve themselves by becoming an authoritarian personality with a ready-made way of thinking.

The authoritarian personality is an improvement on the chaotic or depressed personality, but in the struggle to move up from the chaotic personality, the authoritarian personality comes to hate the chaotic.

And unfortunately the authoritarian personality has yet to learn to distinguish between the chaotic and the creative. So the authoritarian personality hates both the chaotic and the creative.

So although MBTI provides a refuge from chaos and depression, it is at the price of creativity.

And as we move up from the literate, industrial society to the electronic, service society, creativity is becoming more and more valuable.

And MBTI will be seen less as a refuge and more as a trap.

Depends mainly upon on how you view it.

rushig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
MBTI helped me immensely to get the chaos outta my life. I was able to understand and accept my self rathen than being annoyed at my self for being unique (radically outta place in society- what i thought then)

Compromising on creativity! not at all. I have actually begun to be more creative. I have been able to focus more on being creative and not being so lost becoz of MBTI. but of course there is one point when you have to let go of your crutches and define your ownself without trying to look for answers through MBTI.

I think i have been able to do that and look at MBTI very objectively now. now I'm in the forums coz it's interesting to understand others.;)

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
There's a quote somewhere about how when a man opens his mouth to voice an opinion on other people he most often speaks about himself.

Will no one help poor Victor? He's afraid of too many things inside himself.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI helped me immensely to get the chaos outta my life. I was able to understand and accept my self rathen than being annoyed at my self for being unique (radically outta place in society- what i thought then)

Compromising on creativity! not at all. I have actually begun to be more creative. I have been able to focus more on being creative and not being so lost becoz of MBTI. but of course there is one point when you have to let go of your crutches and define your ownself without trying to look for answers through MBTI.

I think i have been able to do that and look at MBTI very objectively now. now I'm in the forums coz it's interesting to understand others.;)

Same here. Significant increase in creative output and I put myself in positions where I can bring the type of creativity I have to the table. I expect myself to exhibit creativity now and if I don't, I realize something is wrong. The bigger culprit is "business" or being "obsessed" with the wrong things.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a quote somewhere about how when a man opens his mouth to voice an opinion on other people he most often speaks about himself.

Will no one help poor Victor? He's afraid of too many things inside himself.

Good point.

Victor,

Why do you think you are losing your creativity? Why do you think MBTI is putting you in a box? There is obviously a lot of creativity that we see in your posts.

haag261390

yeah, I'm sure most of us could somehow relate to this, if not all.

MBTI's helped me in many ways! It's better off used as a tool. It might not exactly be accurate and it creates a lot of stereotypes. I had to name a few about the theory that I didn't like.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking back to another thread:

Originally Posted by nolla
Yes, and actually the ego being present is lessening the creativity, as you have to limit your creativeness into certain type of activity. Activity that provokes the wanted reaction. So, you confine the creativity to what you think other people expect.

Many artists have this problem after they become famous... The free flow is gone and they just end up duplicating their own works.[/I]

Originally Posted by Victor

Yes, you are most insightful at many levels.

For the flow of creativity to continue it is important not to do the same thing twice.

And in duplicating your own work, you become a parody of yourself.

Also you have hit the nail on the head when you say ego limits creativity.

For instance, here I am constantly asked to explain myself. In other words I am constantly asked to slip back into my own ego. And I can only do this at the expense of my creativity. And I find this annoying.

However annoyance breeds annoyance and I think many here are annoyed at my creativity and would like to destroy it. And instinctively they seem to know that if they can provoke my ego, they will have succeeded in destroying my creativity.

So you can imagine, Nolla, what a pleasure for me to read your posts and find I am understood.

Go Finland!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I think I get it. I like your creativity by the way. It is quite appealing.

I think what people are tired of is the topic with nothing to support the argument. You attempt to communicate a point of view in an elegant way. It is sometimes hard for others to understand. The point is that different techniques are required to be applied for you to change other's perspectives. You can apply creativity in your reasoning, towards ways of appealing to other's interests, put yourself in their shoes, creatively seek evidence, or apply creativity in how you compromise. That may not be you and if so, that's fine.

You can also pick different topics other than bashing MBTI. There are a lot of things that I believe you can provide some very insightful thoughts on that I'm sure everyone would like to hear. I have seen at least one of these posts over the last week. I can think of one other poster on the board that comes up with very elegantly written insightful philosophical commentary which makes you stop and makes you think. You could easily do this as well. That other person picks different topics to talk about and takes care not to disrupt other people's threads.

I'd consider the actual reasons for why you do what you do, whether those are the reasons you want to have. I'd look for different alternatives - topics to express your feelings/thoughts on, items that you feel passionate about, and a point of view that is not diametrically opposed to the vast majority of people on the board. That is unless, the attention is your primary motivator and if so, isn't that getting in the way of your creativity?

Anyway, that is my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Tycho

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
MBTI does not limit my creativity as a person any more than studying food science makes me a worse cook.

Mole

Permabanned
What is most interesting about MBTI is its silences. But how does one listen to silence?

John Cage wrote an orchestral piece called 4'33'' consisting entirely of silence, and so enabled us to hear silence.

And painters regularly show us our blind spots.

But somehow the silences and blind spots of MBTI are sacrosanct.

After seventy years without a double blind test, MBTI has become a sacred cow.

And it is a cow that is comfortably deaf and blind.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
This merciless nay-saying, V... there is no construction here, nothing built, nothing gained from listening to you. Someday tell the real story of what happened when you were diagnosed and give up the limp complaint. That'd be something real.

Mole

Permabanned
This merciless nay-saying, V... there is no construction here, nothing built, nothing gained from listening to you. Someday tell the real story of what happened when you were diagnosed and give up the limp complaint. That'd be something real.

Why don't you and your gang stop making your ad hominem attacks on me, and why don't the moderators stop this sustained group bullying.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Opposition needs the opposed thing to exist. You can't be considered to be arguing against something if you merely oppose it. A reason for opposition is required. Do you ever say what the reason is? The real reason, not the camouflage. Do you ever? If this passion has no root, it is not passion.

How can it be an ad hominem if there was nothing to argue against? Who argues against a characterisation? Why would they? Why would you want them to?

Just say no to saying no.

G

Ginkgo

Nothingness

What is most interesting about MBTI is its silences. But how does one listen to silence?

John Cage wrote an orchestral piece called 4'33'' consisting entirely of silence, and so enabled us to hear silence.

And painters regularly show us our blind spots.

But somehow the silences and blind spots of MBTI are sacrosanct.

After seventy years without a double blind test, MBTI has become a sacred cow.

And it is a cow that is comfortably deaf and blind.

There was an endearing time when art involved the recreation of reality.

However, reality was different to this man named Picasso, who testified that he had buried realism.

So art is no longer anchored in the real, the surreal, or even the abstract.

Art is anchored in art itself. Paint blotches, silence, white noise. These are artistic progressions that only progress into nothingness.

When we gurgle in the pool of nothingness, we are unaware of reality. Instead, we are merely aware of our own crestfallen existence.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why don't you and your gang stop making your ad hominem attacks on me, and why don't the moderators stop this sustained group bullying.

I apologize if my comments came across as an attack of any kind. They were not meant to be and I would never spend the time I did on the post in that spirit. I was actually trying to help. :blush:

My directness and honesty is a strength and alas also weakness.

Mole

Permabanned
There was an endearing time when art involved the recreation of reality.

However, reality was different to this man named Picasso, who testified that he had buried realism.

So art is no longer anchored in the real, the surreal, or even the abstract.

Art is anchored in art itself. Paint blotches, silence, white noise. These are artistic progressions that only progress into nothingness.

When we gurgle in the pool of nothingness, we are unaware of reality. Instead, we are merely aware of our own crestfallen existence.

We have a public art program in Canberra and whenever I go out I see these extraordinary sculptures throughout Canberra.

And not only is our public art high quality but it is high art. And so we get the standard low criticism from the low brow.

Fortunately Canberrans are well educated and high art lifts our spirits as we progress into the electric future, called the noosphere, leaving the low brows behind in the literate and literal past.

It's our money and we spend it on high art, lifting the whole city, and surprising and delighting large numbers of visitors every day.

Mole

Permabanned
Opposition needs the opposed thing to exist. You can't be considered to be arguing against something if you merely oppose it. A reason for opposition is required. Do you ever say what the reason is? The real reason, not the camouflage. Do you ever? If this passion has no root, it is not passion.

How can it be an ad hominem if there was nothing to argue against? Who argues against a characterisation? Why would they? Why would you want them to?

Just say no to saying no.

In a liberal democracy the purpose of the Loyal Opposition is to limit power.

And it is the limitation of power that is the raison d'etre of liberal democracy.

Of course you live in a system where the powers of Head of State, Commander-in-Chief, and President are concentrated in the hands of one man. And you don't even have a Leader of the Opposition.

So I can hardly expect you to understand liberal democracy.