• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Irregularities in MBTI and type interaction

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I remember a thread where ENTJ-ENFP -relationships were being discussed, and Cloud asked why same kinds of relationships were not suggested for ENFJ-ENTP, or other similar kinds of pairings. First I thought there might be a same kind of relation, but then - why?

Why can't there be irregularities within the system? People of all the types live in a society that is far from regular or symmetrical. As an obvious fact, functions do not define all our behavior.

Take people's first function as an example. In the ENTJ, the Te manifests itself by making them understand what anyone can and can not do, so that they tend to avoid infeasible tasks more so than most other types. A young ENTJ may butt heads to any obstacle, trying to do all they can, only falling back to less aggressively direct behavior if their previous approach has not worked. Hence, they may eventually be interested of almost any kind of action that seems productive at the moment, may it be in the area of traditional Fe, Ti, Si behaviors, or those of any other function. With this type, planning and strategy is of course preferred over compassion and moods.

So, depending on cultural surroundings, what works, what is being appreciated and what gives a greater status, the ENTJ might be attracted to the scientific thoughts of an INTP, or the glamorous showmanship of an ENFP or ESTP.

INTP again is ever interested of understanding the world, analyzing and disseminating information, and adaptive behavior comes only after having analyzed it as a correct solution to the Equation of Life.

Surely many aspects in the world force us out of the comfortable and regular ways of the MBTI.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup, that's why typology is only a generalized overview. 99% of criticisms about it result from people erroneously expecting it to behave as a precise, case-specific predictor of everything everyone will do in all cases, which is ridiculous.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think all theories should be open to scrutiny, this included. It is not black and white so must/should have some irregularities, to many factors that could be added to the mix.

Myself for example .. ESFJ, Fe dom .. yet i took the cognitive function test and came up Fi dom although i have moments of Fe dom.. I flip on the J/P front so there is never any consistency.

Much to my frustration. :doh:

Also ENTJ/P are supposed to be at other end of my spectrum but i get along with them like a house on fire. (That's is in a positive way, think desperately needing an insurance payout).

I know ideally you want to have that balance of all functions but it would a hell of a lot easier if you was 'This' or 'That'. Oppsss, that's me wanting concrete now.

Well i have to get ready for work now where there is no structure, routine and a lot of flexibility. Lol

What an interesting world.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Or, perhaps it's the world that is irregular and always will be - the theory can be made as symmetrical as one wishes.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Or, perhaps it's the world that is irregular and always will be - the theory can be made as symmetrical as one wishes.

Indeed--you just keep adapting it as you learn. It's not supposed to be a static proscriptive instruction for how people must necessarily behave.