• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to spot SPs....

MBTI Type
INFJ
I know, this sounds really, really stupid.....but.... I somehow have a real trouble identifying SPs in real life :(((.... I GUESS (!) all people I am friends with and my family are either SJs, NFs or NTs....BUT....I feel that this is rather unlikely (although I am aware of the fact that I do share something with the other temperaments, whether cooperative tool-use or abstract language, and none of those with the SPs).....
but I have the feeling that I may have mistyped some SJs and NTs, who are in fact SPs.....
aaaaargh. Maybe I have some SP stereotyping in my head which is just not applicable to the actual SPs in my life..... I just don't know. I know the differences between the temperaments, but somehow I most easily identify other NFs and SJs......arghfpsdf.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know, this sounds really, really stupid.....but.... I somehow have a real trouble identifying SPs in real life :(((.... I GUESS (!) all people I am friends with and my family are either SJs, NFs or NTs....BUT....I feel that this is rather unlikely (although I am aware of the fact that I do share something with the other temperaments, whether cooperative tool-use or abstract language, and none of those with the SPs).....
but I have the feeling that I may have mistyped some SJs and NTs, who are in fact SPs.....
aaaaargh. Maybe I have some SP stereotyping in my head which is just not applicable to the actual SPs in my life..... I just don't know. I know the differences between the temperaments, but somehow I most easily identify other NFs and SJs......arghfpsdf.

The only valid way to determine an individual's MBTI type is to test them.

If you use any rules of thumb regarding identification of a person's MBTI type via observation of their physical traits and characteristic behaviors, then you are prone to a large amount of error.

There is no hard and fast rule of the universe that states people must adhere to looking and acting in manner that is consistent with stereotypes of their MBTI type.

Just out of curiousity, why do you wish to type people as such? Will it affect the way you interact with them? I have never understood why some folks desire to do that. :huh:

-Halla

MBTI Type
INFJ

If you use any rules of thumb regarding identification of a person's MBTI type via observation of their physical traits and characteristic behaviors, then you are prone to a large amount of error.

There is no hard and fast rule of the universe that states people must adhere to looking and acting in manner that is consistent with stereotypes of their MBTI type.

Just out of curiousity, why do you wish to type people as such? Will it affect the way you interact with them? I have never understood why some folks desire to do that. :huh:

-Halla

I guess I'm just overdoing this whole MBTI thing.....you're right....

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're kinda like the SJs and NPs, but cooler.

But seriously, only the ESxPs are somewhat easy to recognize. The innies are harder to tell until you know them well (and even then) since Se is only our secondary function, and for some of us it's quite weak.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Here's a good temperament site, I specifically linked the SP one- The Artisan Temperament

If you look on the left, there is a section called "Temperament and..." and has a lot more links. It describes the temperaments in detail on those pages.

I agree with ES_Ps being the easiest SP to spot. It's just hard to mistake them for me. It's like an EN_P, except they really aren't that intellectually flaky and seem to be very grounded and practical. They don't get random ideas all the time. An NP in conversation would twist words (for humor) and relate things to totally random contexts; while SPs would talk about things that they had experienced related to that, and wouldn't twist words but rather make humor out of what is already there.

Just some food for thought... not sure if that's all accurate.

EDIT: About IS_Ps, think of IN_Ps but just more practical and talking about actual things. Less interested in theoretical mumbo jumbo. May simplify problems and pretty much everything instinctively to make them easy to understand and apply (and fix when it comes to problems).

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The real question is "How to stop SPs?".

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
SPs are free/happiest doing hands-on stuff...they with NPs are the least likely to be doing stuff just cuz they have to

NPs are most likely to be confused for SPs...i think NPs come as close to SP as a non-SP might

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

I partially agree, however many common behavior patterns among people of the same type have been noted by Myers, Keirsey, Thomson, and others repeatedly. Errors are likely if you make snap judgments on the basis of only a couple of traits or characteristics, but if you spend more than a few minutes around a person and get to know what makes them tick, you can start to form a good idea of likely types for that person, whether they have ever taken an official test or not.

Halfjillhalfjac, you should read the thread linked in my sig for some "intro to SP traits" kinda stuff.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP

-Halla

You are such an ESTP. Damn you, Halla, damn you. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
SPs are free/happiest doing hands-on stuff...they with NPs are the least likely to be doing stuff just cuz they have to

NPs are most likely to be confused for SPs...i think NPs come as close to SP as a non-SP might

Comon thing for my family to say to me

Mom: "your pacing, everything ok"
Me: "im bored"

call wife: "do you need anything from the store? I need something to do"

I dont do things because I have to, but because I get bored not doing things.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a good temperament site, I specifically linked the SP one- The Artisan Temperament

If you look on the left, there is a section called "Temperament and..." and has a lot more links. It describes the temperaments in detail on those pages.

The NF temperament description is awful....it's way too hippy for me :sick:

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
They're probably the ones commenting on people's weight...

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Ruffians, hoodlums, layabouts, hoolagins and ragamuffins.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not stupid and I have the same problem. :newwink: