• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The INTPCentral Question

MerkW

After having read posts on INTPc many times (though I dislike INTPc), a question has come to mind:
Is it just me, or do many many of the members believe that they are INTPs when they are, in fact, another type? For some reason, so many so-called "INTPs" on INTPc actually seem far more ISTP, ENTP, INTJ, INFP, and even types such as ESTP. Am I wrong in this assumption? Is there any particular reason why so many members do not seem very INTP?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Because there is some anti non INTP sentiment there and people generally just want to fit in so it's easy for them to imagine they are a type that they really aren't.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
After having read posts on INTPc many times (though I dislike INTPc), a question has come to mind:
Is it just me, or do many many of the members believe that they are INTPs when they are, in fact, another type? For some reason, so many so-called "INTPs" on INTPc actually seem far more ISTP, ENTP, INTJ, INFP, and even types such as ESTP. Am I wrong in this assumption? Is there any particular reason why so many members do not seem very INTP?

None of them want to admit to being non-INTP's for fear of being ostracized.

I think the most common non-INTP types on that site are ISTP's and INTJ's, although there might be a few INFx's as well. ENTP's generally show up openly, and I doubt there are many ESTP's.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There could be some fakers, but I don't think that's the majority.

What's actually going on here is an illusion, as a result of the fact that it's a one type community.
When the place is filled with one type, people start filling-in the gaps and taking on the rules of other types.
This is further enhanced by contrast, because on a forum full of INTPs, the difference between each one becomes much more apparent.

Even in same type relationships, I believe partners start taking on counter balancing rules.

an INTP-INTP relationship might look like an ENFP-ISTJ relationship, because the two start sinking into the different demands of the relationship, and by contrast, look very different from each other.
Obviously, it's not that extreme, but you get the idea.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Why is this called an "INTPCentral Question" when it could be called an "MBTICentral Question"? People mistype themselves all of the time.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
There could be some fakers, but I don't think that's the majority.

What's actually going on here is an illusion, as a result of the fact that it's a one type community.
When the place is filled with one type, people start filling-in the gaps and taking on the rules of other types.
This is further enhanced by contrast, because on a forum full of INTPs, the difference between each one becomes much more apparent.

Even in same type relationships, I believe partners start taking on counter balancing rules.

an INTP-INTP relationship might look like an ENFP-ISTJ relationship, because the two start sinking into the different demands of the relationship, and by contrast, look very different from each other.
Obviously, it's not that extreme, but you get the idea.

This is well put, although there are a few things I might not agree on entirely... I'd also add in the possibility that type is a gradient to top it all off.

The emphasis is that behaviourally we are all pushed towards acting a certain way - type doesn't matter. We all have the same basic building blocks in our mind and type only touches on the surface most "unconcious" functions (ie: sexual drive, fear, etc are much deeper).

Either way, the best point is that our views are relative to the sample group. The differences are magnified as the sub-group gets smaller and smaller.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find one type communities fascinating in a ghastly way.
They always suck, but they are quite the bizarre social experiment.

MerkW

Why is this called an "INTPCentral Question" when it could be called an "MBTICentral Question"? People mistype themselves all of the time.

I call it the "INTPCentral Question" because I am referring specifically to INTPCentral, quite clearly. Yes, many people mistype themselves, but INTPCentral is the most notable example I have seen. INTJForum, for instance, doesn't really seem to have a nearly high ratio of mistyped members/members in total.

But, yes, these answers correspond with what I had in mind. I actually didn't consider the "ENFP/ISTJ" example from Magic Poriferan, though.

What puzzles me though is the sheer multitude of possible mistypings. Of course, some members, like Haight, appear to be clear-cut INTPs, yet many others quite the contrary. With mistypings to fit in the INTPCentral community aside, is it possible that many of these members have created online personae completely or somewhat different from their true character?

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Is it just me, or do many many of the members believe that they are INTPs when they are, in fact, another type?
It's not you. During my time on that forum I noticed only a few who actually corresponded to text communication and forum behavior of known and confirmed INTPs.

Why is this called an "INTPCentral Question" when it could be called an "MBTICentral Question"?
Because more than about 5 percent of MBTICentral's participants are accurately typed.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because there is some anti non INTP sentiment there and people generally just want to fit in so it's easy for them to imagine they are a type that they really aren't.
I disagree (with the wanting to fit in, not with the anti-non-INTP sentiment), I think most of them think they are INTP. A lazy INTJ, an antisocial/shy ENTP, or a smart ISTP, or just a confused person might test as INTP. (Disclaimer: I'm not necessary saying that INTJs are not lazy, that ISTPs are not smart, or that INTPs are lazy or smart...etc)

I thought I was INTP for the time I was there. INTP often seems to be accepted as a description by people who feel misunderstood and underappreciated, even those who aren't necessarily INTPs.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

So I've noticed.

Edit: I want to say that I've met some truly nice people over there. I'm not castigating the whole site nor the type. But I've REALLY been put to the paces because apparently ENFJs are the devil incarnate. I was stunned. But I left "ENFJ" up so any one can take a shot at me if they want to. I like my friends and potential wranglers out in the open.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
I like to think some people may just be ignorant about MBTI at INTPc, as it the first and biggest MBTI forum many people find.

x2

pocket lint

MBTI Type
isxp
So I've noticed.

Edit: I want to say that I've met some truly nice people over there. I'm not castigating the whole site nor the type. But I've REALLY been put to the paces because apparently ENFJs are the devil incarnate. I was stunned. But I left "ENFJ" up so any one can take a shot at me if they want to. I like my friends and potential wranglers out in the open.

I introduced myself as an ISFP on INTPc about two months ago. People would ask me questions like... "are you a fashion victim?" and "do you like to cook?" I could tell that some of the comments were playful, but others are just $*&%#. Someone joked about me giving another member fashion tips, and in exchange, I would be taught how to think :huh:! It was fun to play along with them at first, but then I felt like no one would take me seriously. I got really sick of being stereotyped :(.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I introduced myself as an ISFP on INTPc about two months ago. People would ask me questions like... "are you a fashion victim?" and "do you like to cook?" I could tell that some of the comments were playful, but others are just $*&%#. Someone joked about me giving another member fashion tips, and in exchange, I would be taught how to think :huh:! It was fun to play along at first, but then I got really sick of being stereotyped :(.

Hmm. Sounds familiar. I got that song-and-dance too. Pay it no mind. After all, since I'm the Devil-Apparent, and I happen to like you (which I do! :)), I can manipulate then smite a few souls on your behalf. You know. Damnation and all. :D :devil: It's a typical day's work, my dear!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get one type into a place of their own, and they always end up forming an apartheid mentality. :dont:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hey you shouldn't beat up on people just because they're trying to better themselves.
:devil:

One theory given to me was that many of those who claim to be INTPs are actually ISTPs, though some do seem quite INTJ I guess.

Another thing I found being an INTP9 is that I was little more welcome than someone of a "lesser" type. It seems that unless you're an INTP5 you're just not good enough for some people. Personally I fought this but the wave is inevitable and I eventually gave up to come here.

So far I have few regrets. It's just a shame that the forum supposedly for those of my type seem so hostile to my type. Ho hum such is the form of cliques.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
The ultimate aim of INTPc appears to be self-examination, relative to a distinct MBTI classification.

Although I'm certainly not pardoning rude behavior (to your point, pocket lint), I think immature expressions are indicative of a fringe population and do not symbolize the glut of contrary personalities that interact with etiquette and grace (such that one can on a forum). Still, for what it's worth, I'm sorry you had to deal with such silly behavior.

I'm certain that Typism happens on INTPc - heck, it's happened to me. Yet, I think that those who earnestly believe in the (erroneous) correlation between aptitude and MBTI are probably those whose favor is of little value anyway...

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
One theory given to me was that many of those who claim to be INTPs are actually ISTPs
Based on language usage and interaction style, possibly upwards of 50 percent. INTP forums are social incarnations of Wikipedia, ISTP forums are monkeyhouses, and INTPCentral inclines strongly towards the latter.