• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP: Proletariat of iNtuitives?

Franz

MBTI Type
enfp
Some things really bother me:

- In all the demographic data on MBTI, why are ENFPs so vastly overrepresentated compared to the other seven intuitives?

- In the sparse data concerning type and IQ, why do ENFPs have a lower average IQ than the other seven intuitives?

- Whenever I see an eminent ENP typed, he/she is almost always ENTP. Why? :(

- What role can an ENFP fill better than other intuitive types a posteriori?

I worry alot about this. Have I drawn the short straw in life? :(

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
- In all the demographic data on MBTI, why are ENFPs so vastly overrepresentated compared to the other seven intuitives?
That's like asking why there are so many great chocolate cake recipes. There just are. Enjoy it! Also, ENFPs are attracted to gatherings and to anything that promotes personal and community growth, so they hang out around type

- In the sparse data concerning type and IQ, why do ENFPs have a lower average IQ than the other seven intuitives?
They aren't, according to the manual. 3 studies are listed, and ENFPs come out 2, 7 and 16 (but that was a lab school; the ENFPs were probably just getting started on math and all that boring stuff in 9th grade...)

Because "eminent" people have a persona and it usually has a T caste of strategic planning

Getting people excited about new ideas/initiatives/opportunities and signing them up to work together toward an exciting future. Then the ENFPs go on to start something else.

The best type to be is the one you are. Enjoy!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
We lead with Ne, that's nothing to sneeze at, in fact, that's the same thing ENTP leads with.

Also feeling funny about the IQ is not really a problem in your case because you HAVE an IQ already. It's not like you have to pick from the bottom of the barrel for an IQ because you are ENFP. If you feel funny about your IQ it's not because you are ENFP, it's because you don't like your IQ.

I've had talks with INTPs where they were saying their type is superior because Einstein was INTP. Does that actually give that intuitive anything other than feeling like maybe they are not reaching potential they might have? THEY are not Einstein.

I have a very intelligent INTJ friend. What does he do? He makes software and has a wife and kids. How is that different from anyone else?

You have only drawn the short straw in life if you let youself think it. Don't blame it on being ENFP if you think you have the short straw. Find your strengths and work with them.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Have you ever head for the category "mistyped people" ?

Chloe

Many ESFPs test as ENFPs. If you look at forum, most ENFPs said they know none or only a few ENFPs in RL, if there were 10% of ENFPs, then you'd know much more of them. Especially if you consider that you tend to pay attention more to people you can relate to.

I think there is a maximum 4% of ENFPs.

ADD? Extraversion?
Or; who cares??

If you're for example an INTP. And your MBTI type is known for high IQs.. you can still have low IQ so who cares what are the datas about your "mbti type".

-
Whenever I see an eminent ENP typed, he/she is almost always ENTP. Why? :(

Didnt notice that. Except I noticed that many smarty and witty ENPs are typed by other people as ENTPs.

Eh. many of them. It's INDIVIDUAL. MBTI doesnt say ALL about your individual talents and IQ. Only preferences.

I dunno. Dont know you. :shock: :)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

There tend to be more xNFPs than xNFJs. Maybe because NFness kind of goes better with P. NF is soft, and P is soft. J is hard.

Yeah, well they're still extroverts. iNtuitives tend to score high on IQ tests, but so do introverts. INXX tend to score the highest, T/F actually doesn't tend to matter as much.

But ENFPs scored really high on this "MBTI and Giftedness" study, maybe the highest. I'm not sure what the study measured. But ENFPs tend to be more creatively gifted, than strictly academic.

They are one of the more creative iNtuitives, and great people persons.

Noooo, you got the good straw. Just imagine going through life as an ISTJ! :shock:

So they're proletariat, but mostly because they are so good with ordinary people. You're like our N representatives. We need you for our Public Relations goals. :yes:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Being an N doesnt make you a genius in the "traditional" sense of "genius". I dont know of many people who would put Peter Griffin, Kelso (70s show), or wonka at the top of their list for nuclear physics researcher. There are however different, more non traditional, types of intelligence. This is the kind of intelligence ENFPs have. Its the kind where even if they have dropped out of school, have no direction in life and are not psudo-intellectual in the slightest, you still end up thinking "ya he's pretty smart...always concocting out-there schemes and such". (this is the kind of reasoning you have to fall into when you try to judge types based on accomplishments and stereotyped abilities...how do you like it??? :doh:).

ENFPs are almost like super imaginative SPs. In that sense, they are like "genius" SPs. But look where this leads us: in order to make yourself feel good, you are having to put down the abilities of another type. This is ultimately fruitless, elitist and misguided.

The "real" problem I see behind your post is that you secretly think that Ns are better than Ss, and your upset because your the "worst of the best".

Type is simply the way you orient your processing and judging to the world, categorized into maybe 16 ways. There is nothing inherently better or worse about any type. I would bet that most N's have a lot more S friends than they realize. Instead of typing every person you like as "he must at least be XNXX", type using interaction styles/temperament and I'm 100% positive that every N on this board enjoys and admires plenty of S people.

Finally, why are there so many famous INXX's? Because accomplishing great things in this life require undying fervor, almost insane commitment, and often many long hours of lonely research, doubt and analysis. This is something that INXX's are more geared towards for obvious reasons. This doesnt make their type as a whole better though. For every Einstein, there are 1000's of psudo-intellectual INTPs doing "original research" that will never amount to crap.

PS: I wouldnt get bent out of shape comparing ENXXs to eachother. They all do best what they want to do best. Simply put, most ENFPs wont WANT to achieve the same things as an ENFJ (vice versa). The ENFP can accomplish nothing of value in the eyes of other, and yet still "win at life" if they get to do what they want to do. Isnt that all that matters?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
We lead with Ne, that's nothing to sneeze at, in fact, that's the same thing ENTP leads with.

Also feeling funny about the IQ is not really a problem in your case because you HAVE an IQ already. It's not like you have to pick from the bottom of the barrel for an IQ because you are ENFP. If you feel funny about your IQ it's not because you are ENFP, it's because you don't like your IQ.

I've had talks with INTPs where they were saying their type is superior because Einstein was INTP. Does that actually give that intuitive anything other than feeling like maybe they are not reaching potential they might have? THEY are not Einstein.

I have a very intelligent INTJ friend. What does he do? He makes software and has a wife and kids. How is that different from anyone else?

You have only drawn the short straw in life if you let youself think it. Don't blame it on being ENFP if you think you have the short straw. Find your strengths and work with them.

That.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
yearh what can an enfp do better than an entp that sets his mind to it?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
yearh what can an enfp do better than an entp that sets his mind to it?

Dealing with people. ENFJs too. Not something us NTs are known for, even if ENTPs tend to be better than the other NTs.

Maybe more imaginative too.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are a LOT of smart enfps on this forum. Maybe you haven't been here long enough to really see that.....stick around and you'll see. I've learned a lot from reading them, and am frequently impressed with their knowledge base, and ability to say things a bit more, eh, gently than their T cousins, if you're comparing, which you shouldn't.

Are you a guy? If so, maybe you're stuggling a bit with being an F......I think there is something with being an F in mbti terms that makes life a bit more difficult for guys, at least on here.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Try things that may not seem logical at first glance.

Probably true. Auxiliary Ti tries to reign in the Ne, as far as making sense and consistency goes.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You'll prolly have to learn to live with ur enfp underdevelopedness....

I am sorry man !

Qre:us

Heck no, we ENPs have "arrogance" similarly cornered, it just comes out in different ways. T just gives it the harder edge, but, can more easily be interpreted as sarcastic. F gives it the "I truly believe it" edge. And, arrogance is different from self-confidence. Either, or neither, can be arrogant, but, ENPs do give off the vibe of exuberant self-confidence, equally so.