• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI type strengths or interests?

magil

MBTI Type
EXFP
I was wondering if you really did consider what was listed as your MBTI type strangths really were your strong points or are thay rather points of intrest?

For example, is an ISTP really more natural at mechanics, or are they just better at it because it's point of intrest? Thoughts? ...
Or, do you have a stength or point of intrest that does not correlate with your type? If so what is it?

That's all. :)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
There better at it because it is a point of interest. Functions do not grant skills or abilities, only an inclination to think/act in a particular way. People are usually best at whatever they practice doing.

VagrantFarce

No, ISTPs are not automatically good at mechanics or automatically interested in mechanics. :) They are naturally inclined to practical problem-solving, however - describing them as mechanics is just a way of illustrating that.

magil

MBTI Type
EXFP
@ Andy:Thank you for contributing but I'm still a little hazy on this. Like pardon my stereotyping but typically fot NTs math is a strength but not necessarily a point of intrest. I'm hoping people could give personal resposes to see if we could explore this subject in more detail. :) Thanks for your opinion though. Noted. I just hope the discussion won't end here . . ..Maybe this post is useless anyhow. :p

VagrantFarce

Similarly, NTs are not automatically good at or interested in maths. :) The functions only describe how people think - everything else is an illustration designed to make it more digestible. Basically, the reasoning is:

NTs are generally abstract and systematic in thought
Maths is an abstract and systematic subject
Therefore, NTs like Maths

This is dumb and assumptive, and not reflective of what the functions are actually describing. :)

magil

MBTI Type
EXFP
No, ISTPs are not automatically good at mechanics or automatically interested in mechanics. :) They are naturally inclined to practical problem-solving, however - describing them as mechanics is just a way of illustrating that.

Hmm I get what you are saying, but where do you make the distinction. More natrually inclined to be practicle problem solvers . . . so you think it's entirelly out of interst? I know that no one is naturally born a mechanic, not all ISTPs are mechanics ext. It's just a generla name given to that type, but like with ENFPs, how they are called the Inspierers? How they naturally tend to inspire people, that seems more like a natural strength rather than a point of interest.

Basically though, though I appreciate the speculation and it's totally welcome, if you could also list what your strength are and points of interest and see if we find anything, than that would be really helpful. That's more what I had in mind when I made this thread. :)

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Type is about preferences, not strengths. You can have a preference but never have had the chance to develop it. For example, traditionally in this country women who preferred Thinking were socialized to step into the shoes of others and see how they feel (the Extraverted Feeling function) to make decisions, not to go with the logical course of action. If Intuitive children are told to stick to the facts, they may not learn to trust their hunches and thus effectively use Intuition.

When the preferences are allowed to develop (and the role of parents and teachers is to create an environment where that can happen...sigh...) then we see patterns in interests among people who share preferences. But to quote Isabel Myers, all ISTPs are like every ISTP are like no other ISTPs. You can pick up any interest because of a big brother, a favorite teacher, a great TV show, etc. Similarly, a natural interest can be stifled--NTs for example may learn to hate math if it's taught through a "memorize the procedures" text like Saxon math. I'm an NF and love math because it was taught well and I loved the patterns. On the other hand, I'm happy coaching math teachers, wouldn't want to be a U math professor.

And...each function can manifest in different interests. NTs might like the logic of philosophical argument rather than math. ISTPs might like the practical problem solving of parole officer work (I know two) rather than mechanical endeavors. INFPs might prefer the creative work of psychiatry or architecture to poetry. Etc.

Similarly, there are few ST philosophers (may enjoy a few classes, but who can get a job if that's their major, they say) and few INFP heavy equipment operators (you can't start daydreaming...)

magil

MBTI Type
EXFP
Thank you for your post it all makes perfect sense, but you brought up the idea of preferences. . .
Would you say these preferences are more like natural strengths or points or interest or a combination of both?

Sorry, it's not that I didn't understand your point about interests being somewhat determined by environment, but, I'm still a little hazy on this :p

And can you have a natural strenth that doesn't correlate with you're MBTI but rather your shadow type? Cause that's the case with me. Even though I'm a P I'm also really good at organising efficient methods when I'm in the right mood.

Does that just mean I'm well balanced then? :)s . . . ?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thank you for your post it all makes perfect sense, but you brought up the idea of preferences. . .
Would you say these preferences are more like natural strengths or points or interest or a combination of both?
The theory says the preferences are innate tendencies and research backs it up--you can see E and I differences in brain scans, for example. They aren't strengths because just because you have a preference doesn't mean you're good at it. Some S's for example pay attention to the WRONG details or facts or past experiences. Some N's are horrid at accurate connections or analogies. Preferences have to be developed.

Sorry, it's not that I didn't understand your point about interests being somewhat determined by environment, but, I'm still a little hazy on this :p
For example, a lot of Ni's are content to sit and read/study/ponder the universe. I read tons as a child. But my dad worked with YMCA camps. We all went to camp and we all were involved in athletics. Period. And I found interests of my own through this family environment. If I'd grown up with two U professor parents who spent extra hours researching, my athletic interests may never have developed.

And can you have a natural strenth that doesn't correlate with you're MBTI but rather your shadow type? Cause that's the case with me. Even though I'm a P I'm also really good at organising efficient methods when I'm in the right mood.
You're ISTP? Then the efficient methods come through logical Ti. That's a natural strength of ISTPs which is why they make such great pilots/engineers etc.

Does that just mean I'm well balanced then?
Balance is actually not a type goal. Maturity is about knowing which preferences to use in what situation and having the skills to use the ones you don't prefer, as needed. If your environment is one-sided then there's no need to use them equally...and no one ever gets as good with the opposite ends of the dichotomies! Other than Jesus/Buddha, etc.

magil

MBTI Type
EXFP
The theory says the preferences are innate tendencies and research backs it up--you can see E and I differences in brain scans, for example. They aren't strengths because just because you have a preference doesn't mean you're good at it..
Okay that makes sense to me now thank you. It's not really a point of interest but rather an innate tendency as you said. Thank you. :)

For example, a lot of Ni's are content to sit and read/study/ponder the universe. I read tons as a child. But my dad worked with YMCA camps. We all went to camp and we all were involved in athletics. Period. And I found interests of my own through this family environment. If I'd grown up with two U professor parents who spent extra hours researching, my athletic interests may never have developed..
Gotcha :)

You're ISTP? Then the efficient methods come through logical Ti. That's a natural strength of ISTPs which is why they make such great pilots/engineers etc..
I'm actually not an istp and I'm not really sure where this strength is coming from . .. :p But I understand you, don't worry. :)
edit: Why do you think I seem like an ISTP? Or was that just an example? I'm not super sure of my type anyway so. . ..
Balance is actually not a type goal. Maturity is about knowing which preferences to use in what situation and having the skills to use the ones you don't prefer, as needed..
Do you think each type with their top 8 fuctions, has all the functions necessary to be well equiped in all situations? And wouldn't that require a balanced cultivation of their functions?
If your environment is one-sided then there's no need to use them equally...and no one ever gets as good with the opposite ends of the dichotomies! Other than Jesus/Buddha, etc.
haha well . . .alright :)

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Oops, I didn't remember correctly on EXFP...as you have on your profile. ESFPs out of S often have fairly good organizing systems--they just aren't the clockwork neatness you 'd find from, say, an ESFJ. ENFPs sometimes do it as escapism--organizing things or schedules turns off Ne and is restful for some.

And yes you develop the other preferences but the theory says using the preferred ones will always feel like "coming home." You don't get equally good at both.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you go by the most popular theory, ESFPs have tertiary Te (Your functions are Se Fi Te Ni). The tertiary is usually called the 'relief' function, so I guess in the right mood, you can do organizing and planning just fine, because Te isn't foreign to you. :)

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A few years ago, i wouldn't agree with having good communication skills. It was rare for me to be able to get a point across well in person, but i've mostly broken free of that.
Typically, the readouts say that ENFJs don't pay enough attention to their own needs or can be unaware of social protocol. Personally, i pay attention and am very aware, but put the necessity of both on the shelf. It's all calculated and known.

The basis is correct though. I contemplated majoring in Art, but realized i found more joy when i helped others with it in my high school classes. I debated becoming a therapist, but i know most need to prescribe medication and that is unappealing. Now i've settled on Exercise Science as it's both something i enjoy and can prove helpful to people with more leeway.