• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP & type 8(enneagram)

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
I just took the enneagram test and I scored very strongly as an 8. I don't know much about the enneagram. Just wondering if it is common for an ISTP to score as an 8.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My closest friend/lover/perpetual ex is an ISTP 8w5 <--- I know that's "impossible" but he is.

So, yeah, it's possible.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
HAHA the Tom Waits video is priceless.

Guess that sums it up

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could just be a 5 that is very integrated?

My closest friend/lover/perpetual ex is an ISTP 8w5 <--- I know that's "impossible" but he is.

So, yeah, it's possible.

This just shows you don't know much about the enneagram... 5's integrate into type 8. So an integrated 5 would naturally relate well to the 8.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
After doing more research and taking every enneagram test I could find, I am definitely an 8 with a 7 wing. Once I scored 7w8 but other than that, the 8 is almost always very strong. I don't relate at all to the type 5 descriptions. Neither does the other ISTP I know for that matter. 8 sounds really accurate on the other hand. 8w7 was even called the "Maverick" on one site.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After doing more research and taking every enneagram test I could find, I am definitely an 8 with a 7 wing. Once I scored 7w8 but other than that, the 8 is almost always very strong. I don't relate at all to the type 5 descriptions. Neither does the other ISTP I know for that matter. 8 sounds really accurate on the other hand. 8w7 was even called the "Maverick" on one site.

I have an ENTJ friend who typed as an ISTP. Check out the ENTJ description. Also check out the ESTP and ISTJ descriptions.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I score 7w8 (and 5 occasionally). I dislike the enneagram because I see a lot of myself in all of these. I guess that's integration? Who knows. I can relate to a lot of the 8 description so I don't think it's strange for an ISTP to be 8w7.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
To Ezra-

Are you suggesting I mistyped. I have typed as an ESTP. ISTP description fits better because I am fairly reserved rather than expressive. It is possible though that I am ENTJ. My brother typed as ENTJ and we are pretty much two of a kind. I just thought ISTP's and ENTJ's could look a lot alike.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just took the enneagram test and I scored very strongly as an 8. I don't know much about the enneagram. Just wondering if it is common for an ISTP to score as an 8.

Hello!

Here's some examples of enneagram 8 ISTPs:

Rocky Balboa, ISTP 8w9
rocky8go.jpg

Josip Broz Tito, ISTP 8w7
0817562.jpg

Jacques Mesrine, ISTP 8w9 (with growing 7 wing during the later life)
jacques-mesrine.jpg

Buttercup, ISTP 8w7
powerpuff-girls5.jpg

Jango Fett, ISTP 8w9 (Boba Fett is an ISTP 5w6)
personnage-jango-fett-2.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol... I'm with an istp 9w1 (a very strong 1 as well... seriously, he's a good virgo!) :laugh:

most istps I know are rather 9ish, though I've met some 8ish ones as well :)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did'nt know ISTPs could be 9w1, I believed evey 9 ISTPs were 9w8 actually.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ most ISTPs I know are 9w8... this one's just a weirdo :D

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree that most ISTPs are 9w8s.

To Ezra-

Are you suggesting I mistyped. I have typed as an ESTP. ISTP description fits better because I am fairly reserved rather than expressive. It is possible though that I am ENTJ. My brother typed as ENTJ and we are pretty much two of a kind. I just thought ISTP's and ENTJ's could look a lot alike.

It's possible. I mean if you really, really must type yourself as an ISTP because it is the only viable option in your eyes, and you see no other alternative to 8w7, then fair enough, but until this is the case I very much doubt you're both an ISTP or an 8w7 - I think you're more likely to be either.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
ISTP is not the only viable option, but it is hard for me to steer away from it because of how many times I've been typed as one, and how accurate the description is. I can tell you that if I turned out to be a rational I would definitely be an ENTJ. The other NT's just aren't me. However, it is hard to see myself as an E, and INTJ doesn't fit. Is it common for ENTJ's to relate to/type as an ISTP?

B

brainheart

My son totally seems to be an ISTP 8w9. It makes sense to me. The dominant Ti could make one less concerned about others' feelings as we 9w8s are. I worry about stepping on others toes so I typically keep my primal urges contained, he just comes out and says or does them. He doesn't seem to feel as bad after an explosion as I do, either. But he is most decidedly an introvert.

Windigo

You could just be a 5 that is very integrated?

This just shows you don't know much about the enneagram... 5's integrate into type 8. So an integrated 5 would naturally relate well to the 8.

I would like to know what integrate means in this context.

I always feel like a natural 5 (especially when I was younger) but always test as a straight up 8!

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did'nt know ISTPs could be 9w1, I believed evey 9 ISTPs were 9w8 actually.
I agree that 9w8 resonates very well with the "live and let live" and "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" kind of approach of ISTPs. I'm also an advocate of these principles but compared to my passive 7 active 5 flavour in my first two decades today I have almost nothing to do with 5 at the expense of being a 7w8 who can stand up for himself if necessary instead of being silent or tame. I got fed up with being used as an idiot tool/pet at my workplace and looked for better solutions. From a silent techie I became the mixture of an adventurer and entrepreneur/businessman. I'm a living example that in 5-10 years one can become "the oppostite" of him/herself.

Being able to stand up for yourself makes your very successful in various areas of your life. You will be less likely to get on well with people who want to play stupid games with you, e.g.: treating you like an idiot, manipulate emotionally, etc... but you'll have an edge that the rest of the people are more attracted to. It's a win & win & win in my opinion.