• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are there any Ns who really suck at interpreting literature or poetry?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
They always wanted the retarded text book answer in English class that I could never imagine really existing. I find symbolism tedious. I find most joke poetry slightly less interesting than watching grass grow.

On the other hand, I like smart word play and things with soul. I also like what OrangeAppled said, "when something is very simple, yet says a lot".

Whether I can interpret it, is directly related to my interest level.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
At school I was good at it, if grades mean anything. However, it seemed to be more important to understand what your teacher might have thought about the text, rather than give your original interpretation. Thus, I didn't enjoy that much the process.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think to a large extent it's a learned skill.

At school I was good at it, if grades mean anything. However, it seemed to be more important to understand what your teacher might have thought about the text, rather than give your original interpretation. Thus, I didn't enjoy that much the process.
Ugh, I had this experience too... :steam:

Mole

Permabanned
My disinterest in poetry is largely due to the art form's almost pure subjective quality.

In seventy years not one double blind test has been done with MBTI, so it is purely subjective, yet here you are lending your name to a purely subjective site.

But really, what you might say is that MBTI is bad poetry. And is only attractive to those with no taste for good poetry.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Here I read the back of the packet as I eat my Corn Flakes, but I am told that in the Czech Republic they deliver a poem fresh every morning with the milk.

Uhmm... What the heck?! ^^;;;

Mole

Permabanned
Uhmm... What the heck?! ^^;;;

Today I attended the Multicultural Festival in Canberra.

It is a large well run festival that takes over the centre of Canberra for a day.

Every culture in the world is represented and is representative of Multiculturalism in Oz.

But today in your honour I visited the booth of the Czech Republic and they confirmed that a poem is delivered every day with the milk in the Czech Republic.

They did confide that the Czech Progressives want the poem to be printed on the side of the carton, while the Czech Conservatives want the poem to continue to be written on paper and attached to the milk carton by an elastic band.

But so far the controversy continues and we will have to wait and see what the outcome will be.

But these Ozzie Czechs did tell me that it was just as important to nourish the soul as the body. And that's why a poem is delivered freshly every day with the milk in the Czech Republic.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
But today in your honour I visited the booth of the Czech Republic and they confirmed that a poem is delivered every day with the milk in the Czech Republic.

They did confide that the Czech Progressives want the poem to be printed on the side of the carton, while the Czech Conservatives want the poem to continue to be written on paper and attached to the milk carton by an elastic band.

*goes to the fridge*

*checks all milks they have there*

*unfortunately, there are only bottles*

Next time I'll go to the supermarket I'll check all the milk cartons for poems. I've never had a poem freshly delivered in the morning, but it seems like a good idea indeed. :laugh:

(I'm afraid the Czechs you've met were talking about some kind of a utopia though. What a pity. We have poems in the underground trains though. :))

Mole

Permabanned
Poetry is a matter of taste.

And those with poor taste log into MBTI.

While those with good taste click on Poetry Daily, a new poem every day and make it their home page.

And read a new poem every morning while they have their Corn Flakes and milk.

G

Ginkgo

While those with good taste click on Poetry Daily, a new poem every day and make it their home page.

Sounds like you're the only person under the sun with good taste Victor. Perhaps you just have a taste for razing people. Such fickle buds you have.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My English major involves interpreting literature, and I'm fairly good at it. I'm particularly good at interpreting it from different angles (Freudian, feminism, marxist, etc), but not so much finding one perspective and going in-depth. Ni-users have me beat on that, especially with psychoanalysis. My class is predominately populated by NF, who have the upper hand. They're so passionate about the texts we're reading. I just take a text, tear it apart, and reassemble it my way. Whether it moves me or not is irrelevant.

Indeed?

Mole

Permabanned
I just take a text, tear it apart, and reassemble it my way. Whether it moves me or not is irrelevant.

And whether it moves after you tear it apart is irrelevant - we murder to dissect.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
Well, I'm not really good at interpreting the structure of any text, but I think I'm better at interpreting for example the characters - their motives, connections and relations to other characters, overall their complexities etc, and enjoy doing that kind of analyzing more.. I generally didn't do well interpreting poetry, and no matter how I enjoy poetry in general I can't produce/interpret it (esp. technically).

I know very many S's how are way better at it than me.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm just interested.....because this is my favorite hobby :).... all the possibilities of meaning, haach.
But I was wondering if this is more of an Ni-thing......
And I have friends who I'm pretty sure are Ns but really suck at interpreting literature....
(er, that is not to imply that poetry is NOT literature...)
You do not interpret.
It is all there.

Art is about what.
What is, is.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I usually do okay with stories, but poetry -- forget it.
A double suit, eh?
There is only one suit.

Good prose is poetry.
Good poetry is poetry, too.

A story does not follow language.
Language follows a story.

G

Ginkgo

You do not interpret.
It is all there.

Art is about what.
What is, is.

I disagree. Art is the utterance of expression. As expression, it can be interpreted, analyzed, or digested by the subject. This is the beauty of art. It is communication between the betwixt artist and the betwixt beholder.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I disagree. Art is the utterance of expression. As expression, it can be interpreted, analyzed, or digested by the subject. This is the beauty of art. It is communication between the betwixt artist and the betwixt beholder.

Depends on what way you look at it. Is it up to the author, the reader, or the text? Which one is really in control of the interpretation? So many critical approaches. There is no clear-cut interpretation.

G

Ginkgo

Depends on what way you look at it. Is it up to the author, the reader, or the text? Which one is really in control of the interpretation? So many critical approaches. There is no clear-cut interpretation.

Exactly. Some might say the text holds objective meaning, which it does. Likewise, paint is paint, charcoal is charcoal, and poetry is poetry. Like anything, art is multi-layered, both physically and psychologically. The art historian may analyze the sculpture of a dog and gain insight into the culture or geological location of the sculptor. Perhaps the little boy will identify with the sculptor as a loving dog owner. Perhaps the outlaw will see this sculpture as his next heist.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Yup, me. Ne dom NT here.

I can appreciate things that I can understand from a first person pov but I don't have the patience or inkling to work through word for word to gain understanding. English was my least favourite subject at school, I really love reading and enjoyed creative writing as a youngster but only because I enjoy interpreting something in my head with my own understanding and getting captivated in another reality, that usually has nothing to do with the "deeper meaning" that literature is supposed to have. Understanding the deeper meaning can add to the story (eg Animal Farm) or kill a book (eg Romeo and Juliet) for me, so I prefer not to try to interpret what the writer means but to just experience it.

Poetry I don't get. I try but I can't. For me dissecting it takes away the beauty and enjoyment.

I do however totally enjoy witnessing someone who does get (and is passionate about) poetry.
Yeah, absolutely everything Trinity said goes for me too. I tend not to prefer classical literature -- the "high art" stuff. I can read it, appreciate the author for their expertise and hard work, and yet it doesn't engage me at all. I enjoy being captivated by a story and experience, not dissecting it for "meaning". Animal Farm and stories like it are rare exceptions.

I was the same way. English was my least favorite subject in school too -- in college, I intentionally wormed my way around the requirements to take literature at all, replacing it with other humanities requirements like Ethics and "Introduction to Music". Mostly because it always seemed to involve me saying "I took the point of the story as *this*", and then being told "no, the real point of the story was *that*". Usually *that* turned out to be something written (verbatim) in Cliffs Notes.

In the end, I love to read both fiction and nonfiction, but I'm looking to learn and be exposed to new ideas, stories, characters, and experiences. Not to "interpret".