• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do different types deal with emotion?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Just a few questions. I'm trying to figure something out about Thinking/Feeling types...

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?

3. Do you:

A. Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?

B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?

C. Enjoy dealing with emotions when they come along?

D. Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?​

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

B. Embarrassment or fear.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

E. Other (please explain).​

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

D. Pain, anger, or sadness.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?

Understanding of results so far:

Randomnity -- Strong T, but tries to be tolerant of F.

Cascademn -- Shy/Moderate F, with reasonable T.

Kiddo -- T/F conflicted.

PinkPiranha -- Extreme F.

substitute -- Moderate T, has adequate F but simply prefers Thinking.

sassafrassquatch -- Extreme T, fiercely resists F. Displays strong negative emotion consciously, and little or no positive.

OctaviaCaesar -- Strong F, tries to use T occasionally.

niffer -- Weak F, unusually overwhelmed by suggestions of stronger emotion.

FDG -- Weak T, is oblivious to fine subtleties of F, but can appreciate it in general.

snegledmaca -- Strong T, tries to be tolerant of F.

tovlo -- Strong F.

DaRick -- T/F conflicted.

Merkw -- Strong T.

Cafe -- Weak F.

BlueWing -- Extreme T, logically adapts to F. Displays fully logic-derived responses on the conscious level.

nightining -- Moderate F.

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yay a survey.
Just a few questions. I'm trying to figure something out about Thinking/Feeling types...

1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both?
Now mostly positive (but often conflicting). In the past it has been mostly negative.
2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past?
see above.
3. Do you:

No, but I am very cautious/doubting/paranoid in such circumstances.
B. Find that emotion is something you tend to overlook/undervalue at times, and can deal with fairly well once it's brought to your attention?
yes, if you keep a fairly liberal view of "fairly well".
Not really, unless they're positive.
D. Actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation?
No.
4. What do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others towards yourself?

A. Disgust.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would I have a particular response to someone else's emotion? It bothers me greatly when people are upset with me, particularly if I care about them, but positive emotions don't need a response. Certainly I don't have any of the above emotions in response.
5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
It makes me slightly uncomfortable to have people tell me they care, unless in the context of a romantic relationship.
6. What do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others towards yourself?
A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

All of the above (except apathetic). It makes me anxious, angry at myself if warranted, and confused and very often angry at others if I feel it's unwarranted.
7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how?
no. But knowing that someone is holding a grudge and not telling me about it is sometimes enough to make me write off someone in disgust.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

A reasonable amount of both, but whatever the context, I find I have **extremely** strong feelings, and they can easily overwhelm me. When they're positive emotions, this isn't an issue - i.e. joy, peace, excitement, sensual.....I bask in my positive emotions. :) When they're negative emotions, though, they can debilitate me so that I really have a hard time functioning til I work through them.

Yes - see above.

3. Do you:

In the past I've tried various options. I will sometimes try to push away or 'avoid' or 'ignore' negative emotions, but that never really works. Just makes it worse, or just makes things build up. I don't believe I overlook/undervalue emotions, ever, as I put quite a lot of stock in my emotional state; however, that said, I also recognize when they're more transient and nothing I really need to get worked up over (i.e. hormonal stuff, or just being in an irritable mood on a given day due to lack of sleep, or whatever).....vs. when theyr'e something I really need to pay attention to.

I'd say with positive emotions, I just enjoy them to the fullest and freely express my positive emotions. So, option C for positive emotions. With negative emotions (when they're not the transient ones), it's always D - I always actively seek to deal with the emotions, and 'study' them.

4. What do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

Positive emotions from others towards myself...it would be D in platonic relationships, but in romantic ones I think I have a history of feeling Fear.

And perhaps a slight bit of embarrassment depending on the situation.

Not really sure, but probably I'd be more embarrassed if I think the person is being overly gushing or fawning, or demonstrative, or if I think there's any hint of insincerity or 'kissing up'.

6. What do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others towards yourself?

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

Mostly anxiety, which leads to pain and confusion and sadness. :) hehe...all of the above, but definitely NOT indifference and NOT apathy. That is, if I'm understanding your question - I read it in the context of other people having negative responses directed at me and against my character.

Hmm....I almost think implicit expression would be worse, because I'd read too many things into it that might not be accurate, whereas explicit would at least get everything out in the open and my imagination wouldn't fill in the gaps.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

When I was younger, people used to make it a game to get a reaction out of me and so a lot of my initial experiences with emotion are negative. However as I have gotten older I have found my emotions to be an excellent guide of how I am at the moment and where I need to go. They have been a positive contributor to my personal growth. So I would say a reasonable mixture of both.

Mostly negative. When I was younger I didn't have the grasp of reason to deal with how I felt. I was incredibly sensitive and a perfectionist. So if I ever felt inadequate or like I had failed then my emotions would take over and it would lead to terribly negative experiences.

3. Do you:

No, I spend a great deal of time trying to interpret why I feel the way I feel.

There are often times when I'll ignore my gut feelings about situations and people and will then regret it, but for the most part I think I overvalue my emotions.

It's hard work. There aren't words or ideas to describe how I feel some days.

Yes, because if I ignore them, they will come to bite me in the ass.

A. Disgust.

Never.

Often.

C. Curiosity.

Often.

D. Warmth/compassion.

Sometimes.

If it is implicit, I would be more prone toward feeling warmth and compassion, but if it is explicit, then I would be more embarrassed and curious.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

I feel this way with family members who chronically whine and complain about everything.

B. Confusion.

Not usually.

C. Anxiety.

Very often.

Usually.

E. Other (please explain).

I usually feel inadequate or like if they knew the real me or my intentions then they wouldn't feel that way.

I'll become incredibly defensive if it is explicitly expressed. However, if it implicitly suggested, I'll feel like trash for hours if not days and withdraw.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not sure I understand. Why would I have a particular response to someone else's emotion? It bothers me greatly when people are upset with me, particularly if I care about them, but positive emotions don't need a response. Certainly I don't have any of the above emotions in response.

There's no particular reason you should... it's just that the possibility of not having a particular response didn't cross my mind the first time. (Interestingly, it did cross my mind for negative emotions...)

So what I'm hearing is, Indifference/Apathy to positive emotion, and possibly embarrassment with regard to explicit positive emotion, correct?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Both, but mostly negative.

Yes.

3. Do you:

C and D? Can I do both? What if I have a little "A" thrown in, too?

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.​

B, C, and D. Never A, unless it's a perv.

No.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

D. Pain, anger, or sadness.​

B and D. As a communicator, it's a big failing for me to experience a misunderstanding.

It might. I don't dictate feedback format, as everyone has a different style and you can't expect folks to act a certain way just because you do. However, I prefer aggression to be open and clear. I look at passive aggressive people like ticking time bombs, I don't trust them, and I certainly don't enjoy them.

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what I'm hearing is, Indifference/Apathy to positive emotion, and possibly embarrassment with regard to explicit positive emotion, correct?
Yes. I'll add that positive emotion explicitly presented by someone I dislike makes me extremely uncomfortable and conflicted as well. And in the context of a relationship/very close friendship positive emotion makes me 'warm' and happy but not compassionate. It's more in general that I don't feel all that much, unless the strength of the emotion is large. I tend to take it for granted that people see me relatively positively.

Are you going to answer as well?

I'm also curious to see the other Ts' responses. Interesting that it's been mostly Fs so far.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Both, actually.

Yes.
3. Do you:

Most of the time, C. Occasionally B or D.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

Mostly D.

Almost always D in response to implicit, and most of the time in response to explicit, unless it's extremely overflowing/gushing and draws attention to me, in which case it would be B.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

If I care about the person, D. If I already dislike the person or feel a strong need to control the outcome, A. C is mostly if the person is in a position of power/influence over me, and I'm concerned about whether they will do something to my reputation. B is mostly if I don't perceive the emotion they reacted to.

Yes. I'm more likely to feel A or D in response to explicit negative emotion. B or C are more likely if it's implicit.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good on an ISTP for answering right away! :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
No, but then again, I'm already a very deep abyss of emotion so adding more to it can make me feel like I'm being swallowed by a giant snake.

I'm the opposite. I can be overmastered by emotion to the point of illness, and no, it's not voluntary, whether I resist or flow with it. If an emotion has somehow gotten past me to the point where someone else brings it up to me, it makes me feel ambushed. Emotion is my currency -- how any of it slips past my radar is unnerving, so I don't always handle emotional correction with strict composure.

Failure....

Um... you misunderstood question 4 and 6. I was asking which of those emotions you tend to experience in response to negative or positive emotions from other people. I'm sorry about that, I should have made it clearer and more specific.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um... you misunderstood question 4 and 6. I was asking which of those emotions you tend to experience in response to negative or positive emotions from other people. I'm sorry about that, I should have made it clearer and more specific.

You know what, I saw that and went "ok. Duh." It wasn't you. I'll just be the retarded lab rat in this one. :D lol (No no, I'll go back and correct... :hug: )

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

Mostly 'meh'. Neither negative nor positive unless I stop to think about it, in which case it's mostly on the positive side of the middle line. But I don't notice it unless it goes quite extremely to one end or the other, even if others notice it, and it has to be pretty sudden. Strong emotions that sorta 'brew' up over a period go completely unnoticed by me or anyone else, unless they really know what to look for, and even though I know what to look for, I still often don't notice until very late.

Yes, of course. Though I find it hard to manifest some positive emotions, such as affection - always found it extremely hard to deliberately touch people at all, and there have been a few times when I've really wanted to hug someone but been totally unable to. Or even just touch their arm or shoulder in sympathy. This problem hasn't generally existed with my kids except that as my eldest daughter has gotten older I've found myself feeling less and less 'natural' with hugging her.

3. Do you:

A. Actively avoid dealing with anything related to emotion?​

Usually not actively. It just happens, I mean, I don't notice that emotions have anything to do with anything.

I wouldn't say undervalue so much as overlook, but still yes, undervalue, though again, not deliberately. I tend to think of them as fleeting and not enduring, changeable and therefore unreliable and not worth basing decisions on that have lasting effects. If I find I really enjoy the company of someone who doesn't seem to like me much, I just repress it and consciously tell myself to stop being stupid. I try to find ways to look at it so that I can feel neutral towards them again - I don't like the uneven balance of power that gives, when someone has the upper hand over me like that, I don't want them to know about it.

Well... I don't really deal with them. Negative ones I just ignore as much as possible and positive ones I just go with, if I notice them, though sometimes repress those too.

Sometimes, as above. The usual way I deal with them if I notice them at all, is to either ignore them or repress them. Unless it's a really positive emotion and it's 'safe' to show it, like if I'm with a close friend who knows me well and I feel secure with.

A. Disgust/irritation.
C. Curiosity.
D. Warmth/compassion.

Could be any of the above, depending how I feel about the person. If it's someone I don't know and feel neutral towards, I feel apprehensive. Usually I feel confused - I don't know why they feel that way towards me, and also I feel a bit like, well, incredulous - I find it very hard to actually believe they feel that way, and tend to think they're affecting it for some reason. One category of 'irritating people' for me is people who 'fawn' over me and sorta follow me around and agree with me all the time and try to impress me.

Yes, greatly. If it's expressed in just doing things for me, or a general pattern of behaviour over a period of time (so I can see if it's just a transient thing or an abiding attitude), it'll thaw me out a bit. But if people just gush at me, I can handle it for a few seconds but they'd better stop after one 'go', cos if they round on me for another go I'll feel decidedly uncomfortable.

But hugging is very weird - as I've said, I'd never initiate it, but sometimes, in the right context, I can find it a pleasant surprise. Yes, I think that's it - they have to catch me by surprise. If they announce that they're going to hug me before they do, I'll have totally tensed up by the time they get to me, and I'll be backing off.

A. Indifference/Apathy.
B. Confusion.
C. Anxiety.

Usually, first off, curiosity. I wonder what it is I've done that's caused it - but not in a guilty, sad way, just a purely curious way, puzzled but not emotionally involved. In fact I feel less 'concerned' about it the closer I am to the person, because I figure if it's someone I've been on good terms with for a long time, then the relationship isn't under any real threat from a single display of emotion - as I said, they're temporary/transient, so I don't tend to fear them having long-term effects, because any decisions made now under the influence of negative ones can be changed later if I can generate positive ones.

Yes. This time, if they explicitly express it, I'm glad and grateful, I prefer to be told directly and clearly if someone has a problem - I really, really do. If they try to 'tell' me by hints or 'gestures' (not hand type gestures but y'know, 'doing' things thinking it'll 'show' me), then if I do actually pick up on it, it'll make me feel irritated, frustrated and somewhat insulted.​

sassafrassquatch

Negative.

Mostly negative.

3. Do you:

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

A. Disgust/irritation.

No.

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself?

No. I always implode when someone freaks out at me.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
1. Is the experience of emotion for you mostly negative, mostly positive, or a reasonable amount of both? The experience of emotion for me is situational, based on who I am with. Most of the people in my life are deeply unhappy for various reasons right now, so I experience high levels of unhappiness for myself and on their behalf.

2. Have your emotions manifested in both positive and negative ways for you in the past? Until I went to college, I had my emotions manifest positively by far most of the time. I had an amazing childhood.

3. I actively seek to deal with the emotions in a given situation. I have to process them or they will take over my life.

4. Which of these do you experience when you perceive positive emotion in others expressed towards yourself? Wistful gratitude--my heart just opens up gratefully and disbelievingly, because I have almost no self esteem.

5. Does your response to #4 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? No. If it is implicitly expressed I do not recognize it.

6. Which of these do you experience when you perceive negative emotion in others expressed towards yourself? Pain and sadness.

7. Does your response to #6 change depending on whether the emotion is explicitly or implicitly expressed? If so, how? No. I even imagine people have negative emotions about me when they don't.

I hope this helps your research!

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both. Quite strong, but can vary.

Yes, in both ways.

3. Do you:

C, but I occasionally try to suppress them when I find them inconvenient.

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

D

The more implicit, the more C. The more explicit, the more A or B (but only if it is VIOLENTLY positive...however I still have the D no matter what).

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

Usually indifference/apathy or irritation, if it is uncalled for, depending on how rude it is made. If it is understandable, then B, C, or D.

The more explicit, the more anger and irritation; possibly confusion. The more implicit and the closer I am to the person, the more sadness and anxiety.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Generally positive. When it' negative, it's in concentrated amounts in short times.

Well, yes, as I explained above. It's part of human nature I believe.

3. Do you:

C

E. Other (please explain) - I feel happy?

Expressing in my opinion means explicitly. If by implicitly you mean via gestures, then no it doesn't change.

Anger strong anger

I tend to prefer explicitly. Implicit negative emotions (passive-aggressivness) just make me angrier.

BTW, this is exclusively meant to be contextual to either a romantic relationship and/or close family and friends, because with strangers and acquaintances I don't really express that many emotions at all.

snegledmaca

I'm not really certain what you mean by this question. For me because my emotional state is consistent and hard to alter it's neither positive or negative. It's just my underlining state, like being tiered or motivated. Neutral.

Neither. I actively control my emotional state.

3. Do you:

A. Disgust/irritation.

C. Curiosity.

D. Warmth/compassion.

Well yes. Certain implicit expressions cause a feeling of warmth and appreciation. Explicit are always irritating.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

Very negative emotions causes me to "fight back".

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ

Almost always positive.

Yes.

3. Do you:

D. Warmth/compassion.

Maybe a bit more reserved and tentative if implicitly. I may want to be careful I have read the situation correctly before responding too enthusiastically and risking embarassment or rejection.

B. Confusion.

C. Anxiety.

Not really.

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Expression of emotion for me can be positive, but more often than not it is manifested in a negative manner, due to internal sharp mood swings (I'm an introvert, so these changes in mood are not readily apparent to others).

Certainly. I experience strong emotions when a sports team that I like wins a game and, when my mood swings manifest themselves and become apparent to others (you don't want to be around when that occurs), my emotions become incredibly negative and tend to affect others. Actually, I notice that my change in demeanour affects others, who do not expect that kind of thing from me.

3. Do you:

Not as far as I can tell.

Occassionally, like the majority of people, but not too often. Once I realise that emotion is overwhelming me, I can deal with it, but not before.

No. :thelook:

When I feel that my emotions will overpower me, as they can do, yes.

A. Disgust/irritation.

No! :shocking:

Not embarrassment; perhaps fear if I distrust the individual in question. But fear is such an extreme word in this context.

C. Curiosity.

Yes.

D. Warmth/compassion.

Well, if I detect positive emotion in someone towards me, I will smile knowingly at them, thus encouraging them to do it more. That aside, it's not that likely that I'll talk to them more unless I know them well.

My reactions above deal with reactions to explicit positive emotion. As for implicit positive emotion, only C and D would apply, with real emphasis on the C. For you see, I'm not very good at interpreting complex or suggestive body language, so I'll probably get it wrong if I think a person has implicitly directed positive emotion towards me, which I why I feel more curiosity and no embarrassment.

A. Indifference/Apathy.

No, unless I dislike the individual.

B. Confusion.

Yes, although the level of confusion varies depending on the individual.

C. Anxiety.

Yes, in equal quantities, although this becomes a mere pin-prick if I dislike the person.

My above answers entail reactions to explicit negative emotion. B, C, D would still apply for implicit negative emotion, except with a dash of paranoia thrown in as well, due to my aforementioned lack of skill at deciphering more complex body language.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
FDG -- Weak T, is oblivious to fine subtleties of F, but can appreciate it in general.

Sorry, how is being emotionally positive and open to emotions linked to being a thinking type?