• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are feelers more likely to have fulfiled life ?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I believe that NFs, in general, will feel more inclined than others to live their lives in such a way that is in tune with their innermost goals/desires, which I guess can, or does, translate to some as their living, or attempting to successfully live more fulfilling, or should I say, more *meaningful lives*.

But, eh, I dunno, I believe that most, if not all human beings desire to live their lives to the fullest, and at some point realize that death is an irreversible inevitability thereby making life precious.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I believe that NFs, in general, will feel more inclined than others to live their lives in such a way that is in tune with their innermost goals/desires, which I guess can, or does, translate to some as their living, or attempting to successfully live more fulfilling, or should I say, more *meaningful lives*.

But, eh, I dunno, I believe that most, if not all human beings desire to live their lives to the fullest, and at some point realize that death is an irreversible inevitability thereby making life precious.

I think I would agree with this to a point. However, I think NF's are also more likely to have super-high expectations/be disappointed if they are not fulfilled completely.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are as many ways to be fulfilled as there are people. Perhaps "feelers" will have stronger emotional responses to life (but I'm not even sure about that any more). A person can be overwhelmed by the beauty of a tree because of a feeling of connectedness and meaning, or by the way the light plays through the leaves gentle combing them as it does one's hair, or by viewing the fractal pattern that generated its form. How could a person possibly compare such experiences in terms of quality?

Perhaps a sense of wonder underlies a fulfilled life, but possibly not. I think it is a mistake to project onto someone else what it means to have a fulfilled life. I try to keep a broad perspective of what that would mean, but my view is still limited and informed by my experience and ideals.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Antisocial one:

In your OP and in the thread you have often used "feeling" when speaking of emotion. My sense, from Jungian theory as well as cognitive function, is that they cannot be interchanged. The word "feelings" is often used to describe emotion is common English, but as it concerns typology, it should not be, given that "feeling" is a cognitive function.

cheers,
Ian

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Answering the topic's question : no.

We often oversimplify the T/F divide for the sake of discussion, but there comes a point when we start discussions already asking the wrong questions (yes, there are no wrong questions per se...but if understanding is the aim, then there are questions that are more pertinent than others).

I think the question is : are emotions required to have a fulfilled life? As humans? Most assuredly. Emotions are the human motivators. Instinct will make you hunt for food and seek shelter from a snow storm, but it won't make you do sacrifices in order to reach your dream goal, or to come up with brilliant ideas, or drive you to do anything that is not absolutely mundane.

That being said, Feelers don't experience any more emotions than Ts do, nor do Ts experience any more thoughts/considerations than Fs. We both experience the same things, we just deal with them differently. And gauge and prioritize them differently.

Apples and oranges. I imagine, very generally speaking, thinkers would feel more fulfilled experiencing more knowledge while feelers would feel more fulfilled experiencing more feelings. I know my special appreciation of knowledge (I enjoy encyclopedias and textbooks) gives me more fulfilment from knowledge than many feelers I know get. Conversely, emotions are meh to me.

If anything I think Ns get more of a kick out of knowledge for its own sake. (as opposed to Ss and their more direct appliance of said knowledge) It is not a T/F thing at all imo.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
*sigh* I'll bite. What makes you say that?

I was more or less subtly poking at the idea that being a thinker means one is going to be less happy. That idea annoys me to some extent. As a response, rather than taking a position I fully hold, I chose to exaggerate it to the point where it becomes the polar opposite of the proposition in the OP. I myself find myself happier than most people I encounter. This is enough evidence to prop up my devil's advocate position.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I see. I thought you had a whole new groundbreaking theory in your pocket.

heart

heart on fire
Feeling or Thinking irrelevant in who has self-actualization. Has more to do with their life situation, physical health, strength of will etc.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
It definitely depends. Sometimes the "feeling" business is pretty tough. You can get worked up really bad over something that bothers you. Transitions can be tougher for feelers as well, and sometimes they overlook the rational way to react to problems and wallow in self-pity too much.

sleepy

If life is feelings?, I suppose it goes like this.

If you have less feelings, one will require less.

A car also has a lifetime. And does not complain to much, even if it's wrecked.

So I'd say it's about the same. As long as you get your need fulfilled. I'd be more inclined to think a bottomless feeler will have the worse experience if never filled up.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
It depends what your feelings are. All your feelings could be sh*t. If you're a thinker, it depends on what you think about. You could think of good or bad things.

deleted
I'll take a look at me for a second: What's the point for me to learn about typology? To learn about others and how I differ from them, and so with this knowledge I can strive to better myself in other areas. It's a tool to not only know, but to grow, and the more you grow the more self-fulfilling and probably happier you'll become. You think you're happy enough now, but there is no limit. So for a T growing more F, there is challenge met with reward. For a F growing more T, for a J growing more P, etc. Give me the next typology system you come up with, and I will look at myself in yet another perspective. I think people mistake dichotomies for talents where you're fixed to a certain pole, but they're more like natural ways of life that you have to explore and see for yourself.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Depends on one's definition of "fulfilled". Also, different people have different methods/ways of fulfilling their lives, and this is the same case with different types. So I would say to answer the question: No.