• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the logic behind the temperments?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think I could make a viable fit for the old temeperaments based on other groupsings too. I could probaby fit any quartering into some relative humor claffications fairly easily (and be more consistent about it, too :dry:), maybe the outer letters, for example. I have a hard time seeing ENTJs as phlegmatic or ESTJs as melancholic. But those type orientations make sense in Keirsey's sytem because he hammered the whole system around the need for it to make sense. It's correct by redefinition. It's one of those (many) things I don't like about Keirsey. I prefer dissecting things down into the functional parts, and seeing what patterns, frameworks, and categories logically manifest themselves from there. Keirsey seemed to do things in the reverse process, making the patterns, frameworks, and categories, and then jamming the parts in until they fit.

Even if his choice of groups did reflect the temperaments the best, is that worth anything?

Keirsey, in his own system, considers himself and INTP. Well his system of course is quite different from mine more orthodox cognitive approach. After really going over his work several times, I'm thinking he's an ISTJ.

the bold bit above... that may be because your veiw of phelgmatics and melacolic may be being skewed by actual words, which have changed meaning.

For instance phelgmatics are considerd to value calm... which fits much more closely with ENTJ's.

I'm not sure why you don't see ESTJ's as being melancolic: materialistic, traditional, upright members of society, wanting respect... all sounds pretty ESTJ to me....

I know it is a streach for most people around here but a lot of this info is tied up with anciet astrology writtings and I've sat through numerous lectures on how langauges gets used/morphed and changed to fit coffee table perspective of moder reader... hence my view that Keirsey may be better than it appears. If I cna dig up any good papers on temprements from my old soeicty I'll post it... it fits fairly well.

There is an interesting fit between NF and Idealisim... Choleric are campaigners, for rights, and benefits etc.. reformers if you like... and the hub of idealisim is the campagners... NF's have been given permission to own emotion, which personally speaking I think is bollox, it's a lighter way to look at emotion, they live within emotion rather than chart the depths as such... (but thats more of an astrological perspective)

I thought he came over very INTx in his book.

Sorry I know I waffle into astrology because it's a good frame of reference that uses temprements still and apply it for a purpose.

PS within each temprament, they split out differently: there are triplicities and quadruplcities....so Melancolic would consist of: Taurus (fixed = stubborn/rooted); Virgo (mutable = flexibile); and Capricorn (cardinal = highly active)... as are all the other temprements...

For Plegmatics: (Cancer = Cardinal) (Scorpio = fixed) (Pisces = Mutable)

Scorpio/water is the root of intuition... Scorp fixed = J, Pisces = P

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the bold bit above... that may be because your veiw of phelgmatics and melacolic may be being skewed by actual words, which have changed meaning.

For instance phelgmatics are considerd to value calm... which fits much more closely with ENTJ's.

I'm not sure why you don't see ESTJ's as being melancolic: materialistic, traditional, upright members of society, wanting respect... all sounds pretty ESTJ to me....

I know it is a streach for most people around here but a lot of this info is tied up with anciet astrology writtings and I've sat through numerous lectures on how langauges gets used/morphed and changed to fit coffee table perspective of moder reader... hence my view that Keirsey may be better than it appears. If I cna dig up any good papers on temprements from my old soeicty I'll post it... it fits fairly well.

I don't believe that will be necessary. I have studied Hippocrates's and Galen's humor based temperaments in their own right. I know what the words mean as opposed to their casual usage today. There's a quite a lot that Keirsey obviously did not take (for example, you're supposed to play a different kind of music for each of them :laugh:). With ENTJs, or perhaps I instead should have gone for INTJs, I find them too intense to be your typical phlegmat.

There is an interesting fit between NF and Idealisim... Choleric are campaigners, for rights, and benefits etc.. reformers if you like... and the hub of idealisim is the campagners... NF's have been given permission to own emotion, which personally speaking I think is bollox, it's a lighter way to look at emotion, they live within emotion rather than chart the depths as such... (but thats more of an astrological perspective)

I might also look at ENFPs. Choleric? They could just as plausibly be Sanguine if you ask me. The temperaments included an enormous (unreasonably large) amount of qualities attributed to each type, and accordingly, you can basically cherry pick them into whatever form you want. We discard these things now because we know they are too pidgeonholing.

This reminds of how each of Keirsey's temperaments generally seem more like one of it's members than any other. For example, the Guardian description leans way toward ESTJ. The Artisan toward ESTP. Harder to say with NF and NT (he's not as dead simple with their descriptions), but it seems to me like INFJ and INTP (the atter being no surprise since he self-identifies with it).

I thought he came over very INTx in his book.

Yeah, perhaps I should just avoid that topic on second thought.

Sorry I know I waffle into astrology because it's a good frame of reference that uses temprements still and apply it for a purpose.

PS within each temprament, they split out differently: there are triplicities and quadruplcities....so Melancolic would consist of: Taurus (fixed = stubborn/rooted); Virgo (mutable = flexibile); and Capricorn (cardinal = highly active)... as are all the other temprements...

For Plegmatics: (Cancer = Cardinal) (Scorpio = fixed) (Pisces = Mutable)

Scorpio/water is the root of intuition... Scorp fixed = J, Pisces = P

That is a problem... I have a hard time taking an application of zodiac seriously.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL Don't worry I'm not going to soap box astrology, but keep in mind their is a huge difference between hosocopes seen today and the classification system and structures used in astrology... but you'll know that from your study of hipocrasses, but you may not be able to see which bits are astology. The key thing about the subject is that until late 1800's mid 1900's astrology was integral, you've read some of that already in hypocrassis or galen, infact in the latter you've read a whole lot of it, given Galen's skill set (you wont nessesarily recongise it as such)

Largely speaking a very similar classification....triplcities, quadruplicites - sit together (which realte directly to humours and their cross clsssification).

To be honest I don't have a huge amount of interesting in Keirseys type beyond picking up he was an NT in his book.

In what format did you read up on Galen and Hipocrasses... its exactly works like this that get morphed into being something else. There are a lot of other writters/passers on of such knowledge too.

LOL at playing music to type, but you are also not suppost to cut skin durign certain moon phases according to hipocrasses (an astro reference... about bleeding out potential being raised). Or when to get a hair cut etc

You see the bit about you thinking NF's could be sanguin is where I think Keirsey was spot on... I tested a coleric, who came out totally NF.... Sanguin are very much more etherial per sey..... given the way my studies have taken me I beleive I studied tempraments far earleir then MBTI :D

The reason there is a cross over between type present in temprements is the break down of temprements... Ptolomey sub divies quite heavily.... (in astrology its due to rulership), they have less division than MBTI given traditionally it splits into 3.

Anyways, each to their own ;)

Rhu

Morlock
MBTI Type
Pfft
I always figured that Keirsey was a big fan of the trisexual aliens in Isaac Asimov's The Gods Themselves.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I could make a viable fit for the old temeperaments based on other groupsings too. I could probaby fit any quartering into some relative humor claffications fairly easily (and be more consistent about it, too :dry:), maybe the outer letters, for example. I have a hard time seeing ENTJs as phlegmatic or ESTJs as melancholic. But those type orientations make sense in Keirsey's sytem because he hammered the whole system around the need for it to make sense. It's correct by redefinition. It's one of those (many) things I don't like about Keirsey. I prefer dissecting things down into the functional parts, and seeing what patterns, frameworks, and categories logically manifest themselves from there. Keirsey seemed to do things in the reverse process, making the patterns, frameworks, and categories, and then jamming the parts in until they fit.

Even if his choice of groups did reflect the temperaments the best, is that worth anything?

Keirsey, in his own system, considers himself and INTP. Well his system of course is quite different from mine more orthodox cognitive approach. After really going over his work several times, I'm thinking he's an ISTJ.

I don't believe that will be necessary. I have studied Hippocrates's and Galen's humor based temperaments in their own right. I know what the words mean as opposed to their casual usage today. There's a quite a lot that Keirsey obviously did not take (for example, you're supposed to play a different kind of music for each of them :laugh:). With ENTJs, or perhaps I instead should have gone for INTJs, I find them too intense to be your typical phlegmat.

I might also look at ENFPs. Choleric? They could just as plausibly be Sanguine if you ask me. The temperaments included an enormous (unreasonably large) amount of qualities attributed to each type, and accordingly, you can basically cherry pick them into whatever form you want. We discard these things now because we know they are too pidgeonholing.

This reminds of how each of Keirsey's temperaments generally seem more like one of it's members than any other. For example, the Guardian description leans way toward ESTJ. The Artisan toward ESTP. Harder to say with NF and NT (he's not as dead simple with their descriptions), but it seems to me like INFJ and INTP (the atter being no surprise since he self-identifies with it).
It's what I've been saying all along. There are two temperament matrices interwoven into the types. One is the conative model, which are the Keirseyan groupings. The other is the affective model, which are known as the Interaction Styles.
Each type is a blend of the two.

The Galen temperaments were originally factored in terms of what we would now call introversion/extroversion (expressivness), and people/task (responsiveness, or agreeableness). So how do Keirseys's temperament figure, when all four are equally divided between E and I types? This is what I wondered when I first encountered the types through Keirsey's theory. What this tells us is that the "classic" Galen temperaments as we have known them would more closely match the Interaction Styles, which are drawn along E/I, with J/P or T/F shaping the people/task factor, which has become known as "informing/directing".
These are the familiar "social" temperaments; dealing with surface "interaction". So we do not look for the same behaviors in the Keirseyan groups. It's a different area or level of temperament. "Conative" means "action", and it can also be seen as leadership skills.

So in action, the closest analogue to expressiveness would be Keirsey's cooperative/pragmatic. Pragmatics would be quicker to act, just like extraverts are quicker to engage in social behavior. Cooperatives would be slower to act, because they have to make sure it's "right", where pragmatics go by what "works". People/task would be motive vs structure. Motive focus takes people into consideration, while structure-focus deals more with things or tasks ; the concrete or abstract "structures".

So you see the same temperament matrix, but on two different levels. So the ESTJ is Choleric in surface social skills: E + ST; extraverted; directive. However, in his action or leadership skills, SJ is cooperative and structure focused. And SJ is another code for Si. They rely on what is familiar, and on concrete structures such as the organization or family. They will be more cooperative towards these structures, and slower to act apart from them. This will come out as a kind of Melancholic, when compared to the ENTJ, who is pragmatic instead of cooperative, and is more visionary with his Ni, and will thus be quicker to act. So the ENTJ would be the pure Choleric, while ESTJ is Choleric Melancholy. On the surface, they will both be Choleric and very similar.

Now, notice, I said ENTJ is pure Choleric, and not Choleric-Phlegmatic. Keirsey did not define the Galen temperament correlation by cooperative/pragmatic, and structure/motive (the latter which he did not even invent; Berens invented it afterward). It should have been obvious that the Choleric is pragmatic and structure focused, and not cooperative and motive focused like the NF. Keirsey based the Galen correlation for the N's purely on "coolness" vs "exciteability". Hence, the NT sounded more like Phlegmatic, and the NF like Choleric. As I had said, he derived them from Kretschmer's Character Styles, but if you look at how Kretschmer defined the anasthetic's "coolness"; it should have been clear that the anasthetic was Choleric. Not simply "calm" as in "peaceful", but rather cold. When we say someone is "cold" (as in "cold and heartless"), we think he lacks Feeling, rather than being a Feeling type!

Yes, it would seem very far out to say that the hyperesthetic was a Phlegmatic. For one thing, I believe there is a fifth temperament, which is similar to Phlegmatic, but does have a lot more emotion and enthusiasm. When people take five temperament tests, NF's generally do come out high in this temperament, while a lot of NT's do come out Choleric. (Especially the INTJ--Melancholy-Choleric! That's why he's so "intense". That combination is said to be the most intense in Galen temperament descriptions such as APS and LaHaye!)

The biggest clue is that the hyperesthetic or NF is really the one who desires peace, and the classic Phlegmatic is among other things the peaceful diplomat. NF is the one said to have the "diplomatic" skills" set. Keirsey matched it as Choleric because of the tendency to temporarily fly into fits of rage. But the classic Choleric was not about temporary behavior. (And that description actually fits the fifth temperament a lot, which is the diametric opposite of Choleric). And again, we are not dealing with surface social skiils. You would look to the In Charge (EST/ENJ) for that one. In action and leadership skills, the NF does fit Phlegmatic better. Even in his "campaigning", he usually wants others to join him, rather than being totally independent or autocratic.

So in that light, an ENFP would be a Sanguine-Phlegmatic or Sanguine-Supine. You have people like Greed who are ENFP, and Choleric, but then he's actually on the border between Choleric and Phlegmatic (we went through some APS descriptions recently), and you see he also drifted between that and more Choleric types such as ENTP and ENTJ. So still, its a close match, and most other ENFP's do not come out Choleric. Some try to say Little Linguist is, but I don't think so. We went though the APS descriptions too, and she seems to be Sanguine-Supine-Melancholy.

(There's got to be some way to convey all of this in less words).

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, it's jargon people get hung up on in comparing systems, so you have to deal with the terms in order to clear it all up.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OP, from what people say, it seems that the groupings were rationalized after their parts were created, not originated by some coherent logic.

I think it's NT and NF instead of NP and NJ simply because of how much more the judging function shapes the behavior and cognition of N types, whereas the direction of the sensing function is far more important in shaping the behavior of the S type. Ss have a far more pure, powerful method of experience and interpretation is concrete and literal while the Ns need to interpret their abstract thoughts and perceptions in some manner typically defined by the judging function. Basically, Ns need judging help to make sense of their environments, while Ss do not. This is something I've been mulling over, if anyone can point out any errors that'd be nice.

I believe that's why the temperaments align the way they do.

When I had first wondered the question the OP is asking, I expected to find an answer more like JockTheMotie's, something with internally consistent logic. I'm not quite sure what he's saying though...that Intuition is too abstract to create behavior which could be grouped into "temperaments?" But S, T, and F are more tangible and do better at creating behavior others can observe?

Last edited:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
According to Ideas and Evidence by Rowan Bayne, p31, on temperate theory, "... empirical research is scarce. Rynierse and Harker (2000) found no greater support for SP, SJ, NT and NF than for any other pair of preferences."

and later, on p. 32, "Overall, empirical research on Kiersey's theory to date seems weak. Myers, et al. (1998, 59-63) discuss studies of temperament briefly, but a more detailed review including effect sizes would be useful. Such a review might counter the empirically based criticisms of Reynierse (2000) and more savage ones of Frisbie (1998), who stated, 'Side-stepping conceptual issues, juggling concepts, and adhering to ancient Greek lore seems a questionable way to build a modern personality theory.'"

Anyway, I personally like the Kiersey's temperament as kind of grouping shorthand, and I find the interaction styles useful conceptually. I think it's interesting to conjecture how various traditions systems were getting at aspects of the same underlying truth.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Always be wary of impirical research sources.... many of which are boilers.....

As for Eric, Liked routly where you are going, but get confused by how many sstems you are chucking in. I totally get thaat there are cross referencing classifications (and partly how they were derived). I get cloudy becuase I know that many of these systems are bad interpretations of previous thinking - in reality someone had reinvented the wheel and trie dot call it something different.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry bout that, but that's basically the development of temperament as we know it today. There are basically two "strains". Follow from Galen to Kant, and then they split off. He added a perception scale, and from there you eventually get to Kretschmer and then Keirsey. Those who did not use perception and kept the humour names became the other brand of temperament theory, used largely in Christian circles (CatholicMatch/4 Marks, LaHaye/Littauer, APS). Interaction Stlyes is more aligned with the latter, and shows how the two branches come back together in the types.
So it's really not so many different systems; just two, basically. (And I added in the five temperament theory now only because it explains why NF might not seem Phlegmatic).

Last edited:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I found this link by accident today, it shows the overlap between a lot of different theory groups.

personality styles, types, theories and psychometrics models, personality tests and quizzes theory

I liked it because it doesn't try and swap Sanguine and Coleric around to suit MBTI discriptions

Isabel Myers 1950s Galen c.190AD David Keirsey 1998
SP sensing-perceiving sangine artisan
SJ sensing-judging melancholic guardian
NF intuitive-feeling choleric idealist
NT intuitive-thinking phlegmatic rationalist

It gives a really clearl line up across various ages.

Enjoy!

Lis

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get "swap Sanguine and choleric around to suit MBTI descriptions". It does match them, and exactly the way Keirsey has it, with SP as Sanguine and NF as Choleric.

Still, that's making the mistake of linking "enthusiastic-Choleric"/"calm-Phlegmatic". Cholerics may get enthusiastic, and Phlegmatics may appear calm, but there's more to the temperaments, and the type groups they're being compared to, than just that.

Last edited:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
yes I agree there is more to temprments than a 1 work descriptor. My point is that Kersey didn't screw the attributation up.

NF = coleric, some folks argue it ought to be sanguine, I beleive Keirsey was right, for lots fo reason msot folks around here wouldn't be open too. ;)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never heard anyone say that NF is Sanguine. Everyone seems to agree that SP is Sanguine. Some others who arrange them differently will be Dave Kelly (P Types) who say NF is Melancholic and SJ is Phlegmatic (and NT is Choleric). And I have seen NF=Choleric, NT=Melancholic, SJ=Phlegmatic as well.

Again the key is to realize there is [conative] temperament and there is Interaction Style ["affective" temperaments], and when people think of the "classic" temperaments, it is the affective ones they have in mind. That's where you get the "calm" phlegmatic (from being introverted and people-focused) and "enthusiastic" Choleric (from being extraverted and task-focused). Conation is a different area of behavior. Keirsey should have clarified this when he first came out with his temperaments (he apparently had readers objecting to NF not fitting "choleric"), but he probably did not completely factor out four affective groups yet. At some point, he split the temperaments into eight "intelligence" groups, marked by the last three letters, and yielding the role-directive/informative dimension. He now is mentioning "roles of interaction" that divide those by I/E, and are identical to the Interaction Styles. I'm not sure if this is new from him, or he did it before, and they just went unnoticed. Even if so, he probably did not match them to the Galen temperaments like he did with his conative groups. But that would have really cleared things up.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Keirsey's book does map to Galen, aristotle and plato groupings....

I've never heard NT's called melancolic... actually there are sevel systems of measurment to type people into old fashioned temprament... from you're readng how was this acheived :D

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's the one I mentioned.
PTypes - The Four Temperaments

And I'm sure when Keirsey mentioned Galen, it was only for his SP/SJ/NT/NF groups.
Did he ever mention Galen and the others in the book for the IST/INJ, EST/ENJ, ISF/INP, ESF/ENP groups? He mentions these groups in his new book Brains and Careers I hear, but I'm not sure if he even goes into them in the PUM series most people are familiar with.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's the one I mentioned.
PTypes - The Four Temperaments

And I'm sure when Keirsey mentioned Galen, it was only for his SP/SJ/NT/NF groups.
Did he ever mention Galen and the others in the book for the IST/INJ, EST/ENJ, ISF/INP, ESF/ENP groups? He mentions these groups in his new book Brains and Careers I hear, but I'm not sure if he even goes into them in the PUM series most people are familiar with.

I am not typing the whole list but it wasn't the link you posted. I'll dig out the book when I can find it (doens't seem to be where it ought to be).

Keirsey:
Gardian = SJ = Melcanolic (earth = makes sense for SJ)
Artisan = SP = Sanguine (Air = light enetertaining make reasonable sense - air it not my favourite element)
Idealist = NF = Choleric (Fire = campaigning, quite egocentric, loud, attention seeking, about promoting causes)
Rationalists = NTs = Phelegmatic (water = deep emotional, empathetic, intuative, sifts information to an intuative responce, very calm, can be scary calm)

the brackets I've added in a bit... will find the book and write a few bits up...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
this is closer to the table in the book

Keirsey/MBTI® reference artisan/SP sensing-perceiving guardian/SJ sensing-judging idealist/NF intuitive-feeling rationalist/NT intuitive-thinking
Ezekiel 590BC lion ox man eagle
Empedocles 450BC Goea (air) Hera (earth) Zeus (fire) Poseidon (water)
The Seasons Spring Autumn Summer Winter
Signs of Zodiac Libra, Aquarius, Gemini Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo Aries, Leo, Sagittarius Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
Hippocrates 370BC blood black bile yellow bile phlegm
Hippocrates 370BC 'Four Qualities' hot and moist cold and dry hot and dry cold and moist
Plato 340BC (M) artistic sensible intuitive reasoning
Aristotle 325BC 'contribution to social order' (K) 'iconic'- artistic and art-making 'pistic' - common-sense and care-taking 'noetic' - intuitive sensibility and morality 'dianoetic' - reasoning and logical investigator
Aristotle 325BC Four Sources of Happiness (K) 'hedone' - sensual pleasure 'propraieteri' - acquiring assets 'ethikos' - moral virtue 'dialogike' - logical investigation
Galen 190AD Four Temperaments or Four Humours sanguine melancholic choleric phlegmatic
Paracelsus 1550 'Four Totem Spirits' (K) Salamanders - impulsive and changeable Gnomes - industrious and guarded Nymph - inspiring and passionate Sylphs - curious and calm
Eric Adickes 1905 Four World Views (K) innovative traditional doctrinaire sceptical
Eduard Spranger 1914 Four Value Attitudes (K) artistic economic religious theoretic
Ernst Kretschmer 1920 (M) manic depressive oversensitive insensitive
Eric Fromm 1947 (K) exploitative hoarding receptive marketing
Hans Eysenck 1950s (trait examples from his inventory) lively, talkative, carefree, outgoing sober, reserved, quiet, rigid restless, excitable, optimistic, impulsive careful, controlled, thoughtful, reliable
Myers 1958 (M) perceiving judging feeling thinking
Myers 1958 (K) probing scheduling friendly tough-minded
Montgomery 2002 on Jung/Myers SP - spontaneous and playful SJ - sensible and judicious NF - intuitive and fervent NT - ingenious and theoretical
Montgomery 2002 on Keirsey's Four Temperaments says what is,
does what works says what is,
does what's right says what's possible,
does what's right says what's possible,
does what works

Its the table below the paragraph under the title
overview history of the four temperaments - or four humours

personality styles, types, theories and psychometrics models, personality tests and quizzes theory