• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In retard language will someone explain:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
And who has what functions? I know they are wrong on wiki or something so I'm always a leetle scared to look them up in case I get an incorrect website.

Or at least, what are mine!

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
BERT.gif
LMAO

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And who has what functions? I know they are wrong on wiki or something so I'm always a leetle scared to look them up in case I get an incorrect website.

ENFP?

That means you are primarily:

Ne - Ugtar saw mouse, Ugtar saw rock, so Ugtar had lunch and make tiny finger puppet. Finger puppet Ugtar's friend now.

Supported by

Fi - Ugtar hate asparagus!!! :angry:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Doesn't anyone care about, well, answering the questions?

Explain it to me in few words or sentences like I'm kind of slow.

I've tried to explain the functions here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/feedback/26838-what-about-mental-functions-tutorial.html I don't know if it's simple enough. I would like it very much if you give some comments there, as I want to make it as helpful as possible.

So ESFP:
(1-Se) Be attentive and observant, seeking new experiences.
(2-Fi) Discern subjectively between good and evil, between love and hate.
(3-Te) Discern objectively between efficient and not, between what makes you reach your goals and what is a hindrance.
(4-Ni) Place experiences in a broad context, group them into abstract concepts.
(5-Si) Store and retrieve experiences in a literal, concrete fashion.
(6-Fe) Discern subjectively between nice and annoying, between trustworthy and not.
(7-Ti) Discern objectively between true and false, between logical and inconsistent.
(8-Ne) Be interested and imaginative, seeking and creating new abstract ideas.

All eight of them. Everybody uses all the mental functions, but not equally.
I've explained how to go from type to the order of their functions in the post I've linked above. For an ENFP, it’s Ne > Fi > Te > Si > Ni > Fe > Ti > Se.
At least, that’s what the theory says. The order of the lower functions can differ from one person to the other. The type only determines (or is determined by) your first judging and your first perceiving function.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Se -
Si -
Ne -
Ni -
Te -
Ti -
Fe -
Fi -

Explain it to me in few words or sentences like I'm kind of slow.

This is pasted from here, which is one of the better informational sites for this stuff, imho.

Fi: Until I understand it in terms of empathy and how it relates to a living need that I might have, I don't see how I can relate to it.

Fe: Until I can see where this fits into my network of tribal bonds and obligations, I don't see how I can relate to it. How can I tell if I'm for it or against it until I know how other people feel about it?

Ti: Until I understand the causal principle at work, in terms of mathematical relationships that necessitate it behaving the way it does, I don't see how I can relate to it. It would all be arbitrary, and any response I would make would be arbitrary.

Te: Until I can see how you would make an empirical test for what you're saying, I don't see how I can relate to it. Without a defined empirical test, all conclusions are subjective.

Si: Until I can find it on a map that I can carry around complete within myself, providing a set of things to look for and meanings that they correspond to, I don't see how I can relate to it.

Se: Until it triggers a gut-level response in me, I don't see how I can relate to it; and I don't see how I could relate to it in any way but with whatever gut-level response it triggers in me.

Ni: Until I can separate myself from its built-in interpretations and see it from the outside, in terms of a framework that is independent of everything about it, I refuse to relate to it. You can't make me look--at least, not your way.

Ne: If I can't broaden the context to see how it relates to something else and thereby gains a new meaning, then I refuse to relate to it. I'll just go do something else and then we'll see how important your little thing is.

Deriving functions from your type can be done in four easy steps:

1) Your middle two letters represent your two strongest functions, so for ENFP that'd be N and F.

2) S and N are called "Perceiving functions" and T and F are called "Judging functions." One of these will be introverted and the other extroverted. Note that P/J doesn't tell you which one is dominant; it tells you which one is extroverted. So if you're an NFP, you use N and F primarily, with the Perceiving function (N in this case) extroverted--therefore, Ne and Fi. (If you were an NFJ, the Judging function F would be extroverted instead, so you would have Fe and Ni.)

3) Look at E/I to tell you which of the two (Ne or Fi for you) is dominant. So ENFP = dominant Ne and auxiliary Fi. (INFP would be dominant Fi and auxiliary Ne.)

4) The tertiary is always opposite the auxiliary and the inferior is always opposite the dominant. So Ne, Fi, Te, Si.

One more example: ISFJ

1) S and F are the two strongest functions.

2) J tells us that the Judging function (T or F) is extroverted, so we know this person has Fe and Si.

3) I tells us that the introverted one is dominant, so dominant Si and auxiliary Fe.

4) The opposite of Fe is Ti, and the opposite of Si is Ne, so the full function order for ISFJ goes Si, Fe, Ti, Ne.

Any questions?

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
KarPar, your avi = categorical ESxP woman. Sexaaaaaaayyyyy....

(Is it Lindsey Lohan? If so, I'm not sure if she's actually ESxP [don't really do the whole celebrity type thing], but aside from who it actually is, it looks like quintessential ESxP).

in ghetto gangsta voice: REPreSENT, yO!

Yeah it's Lindsay! I always felt like I could sort of relate to her before I knew she was ESFP. And there's no way she could be a thinker because she has emotional outbursts. She threw something through a window at her girlfriend's house! I do that all the time!

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
If you insist, I shall explain in the guise of Ugtar.

Se - Ugtar see pretty lights, hear pretty sounds, many pretty lights and sounds.

Si - Ugtar..... ummmm, ermmm.... Ugtar remember one pretty light, prettiest of all. Light gone now.

Ne - Ugtar saw mouse, Ugtar saw rock, so Ugtar had lunch and make tiny finger puppet. Finger puppet Ugtar's friend now.

Ni - Ugtar notice hand sometimes look like turkey, sometimes look like doggy. Ugtar's hand many things.

Fe - Ugtar one time punch lady in face and lady cried. Mad people throw rocks at Ugtar. Ugtar feel bad now. Ugtar no punch ladies any more.

Fi - Ugtar hate asparagus!!! :angry:

Te - Pops one time told Ugtar world round like ball. Ugtar trust pops, think world round.

Ti - Ugtar burn things, things turn smoke. Somethings Ugtar no make burn. Ugtar think world made things turns smoke, and things no turn smoke.

I hope you are stupid enough to understand any of that. :)

I love it!!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks.

Any good way to remember what the functions actually are in terms that fit them all or is that just memorizing?

You mean like a mnemonic or something?

And it really suprises me how often there are people here (probably the strong majority in fact) who don't know the basic cognitive process layout. It's the foundation, or the skeleton, or think of some other generic integral object. The people out on the big, wild internetz that are supposed to be informing folks about the MBTI are sucking at it.

My own amendment to this original system, however, is that I've been skeptical of the tertiary and auxiliary processes for a while now. Anyhow, that's a whole other story.

I love it!!

You're too kind.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You mean like a mnemonic or something?

Good gracious, no. Shoot me before I use that.

I was wondering if there is anything similar to finding what functions you have. I can memorize them, eventually, but it's more interesting to have a common thread to learn.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks.

Any good way to remember what the functions actually are in terms that fit them all or is that just memorizing?

It involves some memorizing, but it's not too hard if you just remember that extroverted functions are objective and introverted functions are subjective (yes, even Ti.) ;)

Extroverted functions are defined according to the environment and dependent upon feedback from objective external conditions.

Introverted functions are defined according to the self and validated according to purely subjective internal standards.

So if you have a general idea of what S, N, T and F mean, this should give you a reasonably good idea of how the different forms work.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks.

I remember them like this:

T is objective, F is subjective.
(Something)e uses criteria relevant to the outside world, (something)i doesn't.
Te = objective + external criteria = goal-oriented
Fe = subjective + external criteria = people-oriented
Ti = objective + internal criteria = consistency
Fi = subjective + internal criteria = passion

S is concrete and details, N is abstract and associations
(Something)e seeks new information, (something)i uses experience.
Se = concrete + new = alert and attentive
Ne = abstract + new = inquisitive and imaginative
Si = concrete + experience = tradition and how-to-do
Ni = abstract + experience = concepts and how-to-learn

Of course, I also use the "function guys". To me, it's quite easy to remember eg. Se as the boy scout with the magnifying glass, drawing your attention to all sorts of observations.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I remember them like this:

T is objective, F is subjective.
(Something)e uses criteria relevant to the outside world, (something)i doesn't.
Te = objective + external criteria = goal-oriented
Fe = subjective + external criteria = people-oriented
Ti = objective + internal criteria = consistency
Fi = subjective + internal criteria = passion

This is close and a good effort, but not quite. You've inaccurately associated F with subjectivity and T with objectivity, when it's actually introverted functions that are subjective (i.e., dependent upon the subject--the self) and extroverted functions that are objective (i.e., dependent upon the object--outside the self.)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, both T/F and i/e have been associated with objective/subjective.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, both T/F and i/e have been associated with objective/subjective.

Sure, but a quick look at the definitions of the words "subjective" and "objective" will show us that the former is incorrect. Just because someone has associated the two doesn't mean that someone knew what he was talking about.

Ti is no more objective than Fi because its method of judgment doesn't change with external variables. It is wholly self-contained within the subject--this cannot possibly be objective.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Sure, but a quick look at the definitions of the words "subjective" and "objective" will show us that the former is incorrect. Just because someone has associated the two doesn't mean that someone knew what he was talking about.

Ti is no more objective than Fi because its method of judgment doesn't change with external variables. It is wholly self-contained within the subject--this cannot possibly be objective.

What method of judgement changes with the environment? How does the way any person deals with environment become objective?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What method of judgement changes with the environment? How does the way any person deals with environment become objective?

Te and Fe are objective because their standards for logic/ethics depend on what is going on around them. From an extroverted judgment standpoint, nothing is logical/ethical until some external context has been defined.

If you were to ask Te what's logical, it wouldn't be able to answer you without asking: "What's the goal we want accomplished? Logic doesn't exist without empirical evidence."

Ti, on the other hand, has internal standards for what is "logical" based on a subjective definition of "natural logic." Ti sees what is logical in a vacuum; Te sees what is logical in relation to some predefined external goal.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

"Subject" means the person, and "object" means something outside the person. So of course, i/e will fit this, but then, since Feeling tends to be more personal, and Thinking is more on objects, that is how they fit those terms. You can see this here.
My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Thinking or Feeling
"Do you like to put more weight on objective principles and impersonal facts (Thinking) or do you put more weight on personal concerns and the people involved (Feeling)?"

You can also see the connection here: Dictionary Information: Definition Objective - Description Meaning Thesaurus

And this page seems to imply that this distinction also came from Jung, who of course also used them for i/e:
Personality Type Information

Ti deals in "true/false" according to an internal standard, while Fi deals in "good/bad" according to an internal standard. Both are "subjective" as far as the orientation of the standard. But "true/false" is also more objective than one's sense of good/bad. Things would be "true/false" even if there were no people here to judge good/bad.