• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your book collection: a reflection of type?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I don't have any books. I don't like reading because I get distracted too quickly. Okay, I have som books I got from Hungarian acquaintances, but I don't read those books anyway. They don't seem to get that.

P

Phantonym

Of books that I actually own, 95% are fiction. Mostly classic world literature. The rest are biographies and books on art history and art in general. Listing all of them in the Shelfari thingy would take up too much time and effort, couldn't be bothered at the moment.

All the non-fiction stuff comes from the library and the topics could be about whatever I fancy at any given moment.

Reflection of type? No idea. Couldn't care less. I'm still going to read whatever I like.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
I don't have any books. I don't like reading because I get distracted too quickly. Okay, I have som books I got from Hungarian acquaintances, but I don't read those books anyway. They don't seem to get that.

I empathize. I vary between having no patience to read and... uh... the alternative. But I still can't pay attention to any one text for too long.

People try to lend me fiction books and I feel really bad when I let a copy of their favorite book rot on my shelf and avoid them so I don't have to tell them what I thought. It's best just to let them know you don't have the patience to read in my experience, even if you lose a little esteem in their eyes. :huh:

B

beyondaurora

And does anyone else think there's a lot of Si in my book collection? Is it INFP-y? Sorry, I'm just curious.

Yeah, I would agree that there is a lot of Si-oriented books in your collection. But Si is your tertiary, and our tertiary is how we are child-like and find relief, so to enjoy your collecting and history topics is perfectly in line with your function preferences.

With that said...

I am an INFP, and you probably saw my bookshelf in the OP. History is not something I'm into at all, but very recently (and I'm 26) I've started becoming interested in learning to sew and quilt, as well as archive my family's photographs (also Si-oriented). I don't know how long any of this interest will last though -- I jump from interest to interest nearly as often as I change clothes. :D

B

beyondaurora

Also, I just want to mention that I'm seriously perplexed by how much fiction is in everyone's collections. I feel like I always have to be working on something, hence the out-of-control number of self-help and relationship-improvement books in my collection (as well as the language, crested gecko and craft books). Is there anyone else who relates to this?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Also, I just want to mention that I'm seriously perplexed by how much fiction is in everyone's collections. I feel like I always have to be working on something, hence the out-of-control number of self-help and relationship-improvement books in my collection (as well as the language, crested gecko and craft books). Is there anyone else who relates to this?

Yeah, same, I relate. That's why I don't have much fiction among my books.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a lot more non-fiction on my other shelves... mostly books on economics, food, wine, reference books and political books :)

The shelf nearest to me happened to be my most heavily fiction shelf... and the most colorful! :yes:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mostly read fiction: classic literature and some literary fiction. I have a lot of art, design, fashion and drawing books - be it history or theory. I have a lot of theology books, and many Bible translations. Of course, I have psychology books, especially typology. I have some language books also, mainly French.

What I don't often read is genre fiction (ie. science-fantasy), self-help books, romance novels, and not many biographies, mysteries, or history books.

Some of my faves on my shelfari (which is far from complete):

Picture1-2.png

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Nonfiction is extremely boring. :p Unless it's something I specifically want to know about.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

I'm the same. Most of what I read is non-fiction. I'm trying to create a shelfari page from memory, b/c a lot of my books aren't with me right now.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
That fits an INTP friend's book collection to a T.

I've always liked information and learning more than stories. It's funny, my favourites are probably the reference books. Dictionary, book of mathematical functions, atlases, etc. I get excited that there's a book that goes into insane detail about every chemical element. I'm a nerd :). My least liked are crappy novels. I enjoy classics occasionally like Great Gatsby, Great Expectations, etc. but I find it really hard to read random best sellers.

B

beyondaurora

I'm the same. Most of what I read is non-fiction. I'm trying to create a shelfari page from memory, b/c a lot of my books aren't with me right now.

Cool! I look forward to seeing it. I did my Shelfari by memory too and was rather pleased to find that I left only a few out. :D

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
By author (only those that I have at least 5 of their books)

Level 1 (A-G) : Anne Bishop, Terry Brooks, Steven Brust, David Eddings, Kate Elliott, David Farland, Raymond Feist, Terry Goodkind

Level 2 (H-L) : Robin Hobb, JV Jones, Robert Jordan, Guy Gavrael Kay, Katherine Kerr, Mercedes Lackey

Level 3 (M-R) : George RR Martin, Anne McCaffrey, LE Modesitt, Melanie Rawn

Level 4 (S-Z) : Michael Stackpole, Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman, Janny Wurts, Timothy Zahn

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I can't remember all of my books, but I have a shelf of Classics in English translation, Greek and Latin, lots of books about shamanism, mystics, Krishnamurti, et alii. A few classic russian and European novels and plays. several shelves of music and music history. Books about jazz, the realbook, fakebooks, drumming books, orchestration, couterpoint, harmony. Symphonic scores, lots of Russian piano music, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms...Prokofiev. A little poetry that isn't classical. 'On the Road'...I lost many things in the last split with a SO. Other things I can't remember off hand.

Can you tell I'm an infp?:huh:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I have Lao Tzu, Dostoevsky, Orson Scott Card, Frank Herbert, Daphne DuMaurier, Osho, Paulo Coelho..

My books are a representation of what I find important in life.

Osho is for my soul
Dostoevsky is for my heart
Lao Tzu is for my mind
Orson Scott Card is for my spirit
Frank Herbert is for remaining grounded

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Here are just a very few of mine. I have a dozen book shelves, so I just picked a few that I keep by my bedside book shelf.

S's Shelf - Shelfari

I may add more later, if I feel like it.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

Yeah, I rarely read fiction.

I mostly read Psychology, Self-Help, How-to Guides, web articles, magazines, etc--- mostly self-improvement related.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Wow. I just joined the site, added some books and already had 2 requests. :mellow:

Shelf

peterk

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
my books are mostly math&physics. right now i'm reading about plasma physics. i have a big collection of ancient chinese and french, also psychology--mainly psychoanalysis and analytical psychology. about 650 books. i had about 3000 but had to move so i sold about 2500 of them. it broke my heart! also boxes of sci-fi. as you can probably guess i spread myself around preety thin.