• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti walls of text

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do any other Ti dominant people have problems with managing a wall of text when explaining their understanding of something?

From the sounds of it some INTPs keep something like a diary that they continously modify, but N is good at grouping things together. As an S I have problems grouping things and it just ends up as a garbled mess that has pieces all over the place and when the moons align correctly somehow they all miraculously line up.

If I could tell you half the crap I jump into knowing...hoping that the moons will align correctly and an answer will appear. If not I tend to wander aimlessly hoping and waiting for them to eventually line up. Recently I have been writing down these wanderings and it pretty much equates to a garbled wall of text like an unfinished project. Somehow I actually manage to use this with some success in this world. How I do this is another garbled wall that needs to be unmangled.

The funny part is that I am really good at untangling ropes, necklaces, etc.

VagrantFarce

When I'm typing things out for the first time, they definately get too convoluted and overwritten. Although I'm always re-reading what I wrote, so I tend to correct things as I go. And then I read the whole thing and realise that I've missed out some vital information, and then I add that in and that changes the flow of the sentences next to that one, so I have to change them and oh god fuck this I'm gonna do something else.

Then I calm down, come back to it and do it all over again weeeeeeeeeeee

I also re-edit my posts a lot, after I've posted them

because I'm stupid like that

:)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do any other Ti dominant people have problems with managing a wall of text when explaining their understanding of something?

A bit problem with N is that it's a web of ideas, while writing is linear in nature. I think ST's do better with writing than NT's, in terms of just DOING it and getting to the end... the medium is more suited to their strengths.

I've been writing since I was 14 or so, so I've had years and years of practice. The first 10-15 years were pretty much as you describe here, it's really hard to know what to cut and what to focus on, since EVERYTHING seems important if the writing is to be exactly right. I had to accept that the format/medium had restrictions on it that I had to accommodate and take advantage of.

I still tend to write in a jumble of brush strokes while keeping things mentally organized nowadays, at least.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A bit problem with N is that it's a web of ideas, while writing is linear in nature. I think ST's do better with writing than NT's, in terms of just DOING it and getting to the end... the medium is more suited to their strengths.

I've been writing since I was 14 or so, so I've had years and years of practice. The first 10-15 years were pretty much as you describe here, it's really hard to know what to cut and what to focus on, since EVERYTHING seems important if the writing is to be exactly right. I had to accept that the format/medium had restrictions on it that I had to accommodate and take advantage of.

I still tend to write in a jumble of brush strokes while keeping things mentally organized nowadays, at least.

I wish I was more mentally organized. I can do it and get to the end, but when it becomes complicated I tend to leave out so much detail that when I reread it I have to keep adding and adding and adding.

I have actually started writing because I cant organize this all in my head. I have to write it down and keep modifying and piecing together. I dont generally keep my writing either.

To explain how I write I can start 3 paragraphs and get my point across and everytime I reread it I have to clarify and add bits and pieces here and their.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To explain how I write I can start 3 paragraphs and get my point across and everytime I reread it I have to clarify and add bits and pieces here and their.

yeah -- I do that all the time too.

I'm surprised more people here haven't bitched about one of my obvious foibles -- namely, editing the same post 5-6x in the first five minutes after I post it. :blush:

I read it and see things I missed, or nuances that weren't quite right, or see something that could be clarified/worded better. it's like a big mobile that I am adding, twisting, bobbing, tweaking the parts; the whole point, to balance out what I created...

PS. Uh oh, my little eye spies SW reading this thread. :rofl1: Prepare to be avalanched!

Qre:us

GUILTY AS CHARGED!

To the ginormous wall of text, esp. when I get more into a discussion, and want to get precisely what I mean across, and my Ne is accounting for all the possible interpretations, and then, explaning those interpretations, in order to narrow it down....it just keeps expanding, and expanding and expanding. <-- I also have issues with run-on sentences. Because to me, everything is tied to that original thought, and I just keep going and going.

I also do the editing after posting. And, it's because it's hard for me to read/correct in the writing-enabled post format, I like to read my post as it'd appear in the thread, and then it's easier for me to read/pick up my mistakes.

:doh:

Last edited:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext

texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext

texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Talk about rivers of text....

I hope he doesn't have anything ELSE lined up.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Say it with music next time :D.

I am horribly perfectionistic and pathetic in my way to do a documentary. I have a clear structure for it lined out from the start and work that down trieing to assume every question a person could have who reads that.

Thats prolly the cause they make me write the technical docs at work.

My girl says I have the "red line" attitude, meaning no matter on how many tangents a discussion goes off, I do always present the discussion partner with a map of the discussion so no information gets lost and the red line it follows is visible.

So I am really pathetic when it comes to organisation. A thing I do to is to edit posts many times after posting, especially because its a foreign language.

The thing I totally suck at is telling my thoughts in a short summary to superiors for example or to explain things briefly. If I help my sister with her math homework I go so far off on tangents to explain her what euclid had for breakfast when he thought of his geometry. That's a thing that really sucks, but I learnt to be better at that, cause my job alone demanded it.

What I still really suck at is finding the right words, when they need to be found quick. Sometimes I fail at speaking completly and I have cultivated to say sentences like "let me think about it and I report back to you".

Dunno sucks sometime to be retarded

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H05q1J2w3U"].[/YOUTUBE]

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSEELSE

:doh: Those EELS are something ELSE.

EDIT 1:
entropie said:
Say it with music next time .
Wagner works, but anyone who can't carry a tune and chooses a cappella gets the ban stick!

EDIT 2: Still leaves me wondering how we manage to learn how to choose what gets said and what doesn't, as we reduce a 3D/web mental skein into a 2D/flat linear line.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
They got bored with being ELSEs.
Kind of like ENTP trolls.

:D

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
GUILTY AS CHARGED!

To the ginormous wall of text, esp. when I get more into a discussion, and want to get precisely what I mean across, and my Ne is accounting for all the possible interpretations, and then, explaning those interpretations, in order to narrow it down....it just keeps expanding, and expanding and expanding. <-- I also have issues with run-on sentences. Because to me, everything is tied to that original thought, and I just keep going and going.

I also do the editing after posting. And, it's because it's hard for me to read/correct in the writing-enabled post format, I like to read my post as it'd appear in the thread, and then it's easier for me to read/pick up my mistakes.

:doh:

:yes: Not a Ti-dom/aux but I relate to all of the above. Ne madness in my case and wanting to explain everything carefully. I also edit after posting.

I also think writing well, in an organized manner, is a learned skill. I do better with word limits because as far back as I can remember, I would be the last person handing in my exam and would continue writing until the moderator had to leave. I will never be concise without word limits but I am better organized than before. I use outlines now, starting with bullet points, then fill in paragraphs and then rewrite portions for better segues and flow.

MBTI Type
ENTP
i don't think i do. i write nonstop til i hit the word quota then rearrange concepts, making paragraphs the main unit. as long as the paragraph is solid (enough), everything else will work itself out.

that's only in theory. in actuality i never even write.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ithat's only in theory. in actuality i never even get around to writing.

^^ Ha! Yes, that too!

All those great things we've written in our heads... or vaguely summarized, I guess is the better phrase.

G

garbage

oh god i've totally noticed this about Ti

Not to rag on it too much, but.. you know.

It often takes a certain amount of simplification and organization to get your point across effectively.

And that's where Te steps in :2ar15:

:yes: Not a Ti-dom/aux but I relate to all of the above. New madness in my case and wanting to explain everything carefully. I also edit after posting.

There's this, too. If I don't think my thoughts are conveyed correctly, then I'll often edit my posts after the fact.. depending on whether that sort of direct conveyance is necessary.

I've been told that I have a huge need to be understood :doh:

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP

I do this a lot as well. I often revise what I have written several times ... refining and fine tuning it. For longer pieces, I've found that creating a rough outline of what I want to write about helps a bit. I create section titles with small abstracts of what I want those sections to cover. Of course, I refine and fine tune this as well before starting with the actual writing.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
From the sounds of it some INTPs keep something like a diary that they continously modify, but N is good at grouping things together. As an S I have problems grouping things and it just ends up as a garbled mess that has pieces all over the place and when the moons align correctly somehow they all miraculously line up.

If I could tell you half the crap I jump into knowing...hoping that the moons will align correctly and an answer will appear. If not I tend to wander aimlessly hoping and waiting for them to eventually line up. Recently I have been writing down these wanderings and it pretty much equates to a garbled wall of text like an unfinished project. Somehow I actually manage to use this with some success in this world. How I do this is another garbled wall that needs to be unmangled..

this is exactly why i think john Locke was ISTP. Try reading him sometime if you haven't, his friggin philosophy works are sooo wandering about verbally. Not aimless overall, they're just difficult to read for that reason- like an owner's manual to political philosophy without an index or any kind of arrangement. but people assume all philosophers must be N doms so no one gave my hypothesis much merit.

as for me, i only go round about when i havent a clear grasp/understanding of the issues/questions at hand. once i do i'm quite coherent, or so i think :D

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I like to keep my writing brief. Bringing out the ideas in real life on the other hand...