• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Biological & Evolutionary Perspectives on Personality

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just found this link, and it's linked to a host of other interesting topics, if you are into a more physiological/evolutionary study of personality and its roots.

Introduction

One of the main criticisms of most Western personality theories is that they fall prey to Descartes' mind-body dualism, and treat personality and almost exclusively psychological. But we also saw some examples where this was not the case, i.e., the 4 Greek humors, William Sheldon's 3 somatotypes, and Ayurvedic medicine's 3 doshas.

These theories do not identify the mechanisms of the proposed relationships between body and personality, and most theories of personality do not easily account for the origins of personality and personality characteristics. These questions are taken up more directly by sociobiology, evolutionary psychology, and behavioral genetics.

"Most people of course, whatever they may say, do not in fact want a scientific account of human nature and personality at all....Hence they much prefer the great story-teller, S. Freud, or the brilliant myth-creator, C. G. Jung, to those who, like Cattell or Guilford, expect them to learn matrix algebra, study physiological details of the nervous system, and actually carry out experiments rather than rely on interesting anecdote, sex-ridden case histories, and ingenious speculation."
- Hans Eysenck, Psychology Is About People

We are biological creatures. We exist because of our genetics, the food we've eaten, the air we breathe; we think because of the neurons which fire in our brains. Is it possible, then, that variations in our biology may cause the personality differences we observe in behaviour?

Of all the perspectives on personality, chances are that this perspective will undergo the greatest amount of change and development in the next 100 years. The topics presented here in this lecture are, really, in their childhood - the modern attempt to link personality to biology has been a recent effort...

If you read any of this and have comments, please feel free to share your thoughts.

I've already run across a refinement of Darwin's notion of "Survival of the Fittest" to actually be more appropriately described as "Reproduction of the Fittest" that made me think...