• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne and Ni

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My kind of Ne starts with stars that are capped at 8x the mass of our Sun.

Supernova, black hole, time warp, white hole, blue giant, supernova, black hole?

Assuming white holes exist. :laugh:

G

Ginkgo

That's a very strange thing to say. A lot of creativity is partly vengeful, intrigued with vilifying things as they are... but I know I'm personally too much of a pussy to really want to kill anything.

But then, that that even makes sense-- that shying from wanting to bring death could be at all like cowardice, is only further infuriating to me... so maybe you have something there. But now I sound like a crazy person.

Dude it was a drypan joke. Don't hurt yourself. Maybe that was a bad idea.

Ne extrapolates
Ni interpolates
Ne sees how the scene changes
Ni sees behind the scenes
Ne juggles multiple possibilities, but needs some degree of external input to affirm what's in the mind's eye
Ni gathers a hunch so strong that external input is scarcely needed to lend the image to one's mind's eye

Both deal with vague, "big picture" perceptions. They are "big" in that they are bound to symbols and interpretations, reflecting personal significance rather than a file cabinet of detailed sense perceptions.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Ne vs Ni

I've been wondering lately if my Ni's even stronger than I thought... enough for me to question my type, which I assure you is not a common thing for me to do.

When I was in my early teens (I think, could've been earlier), I did one of those IQ tests that broke down intelligence into different regions and had different tests for each of them (memory, reading comprehension and whatnot, forgot the details). The test that I did the best in (full marks) involved the shrink choosing 2 objects and me telling her what they had in common. For example, what do a sword and a lake have in common? Well, they both reflect light (that was my answer anyway).

I have always been very good at this. Heck, I force myself to do this all the time as a mental exercise. It's true that Ne makes connections, but I don't think this is the type of connections they mean. It's not like I saw a lake and went "oooooh shiny, oh I know, swords are shiny too!". Don't get me wrong, I do that a lot too, but this seems to be pattern recognition, something that is key in Ni. This seems to be Ni to me, at least functionally.

I also seem to use Ni a lot more than Ne in my hobbies. I have very few spontaneous, creative activities that Ne users would strive on. I've been looking for a creative outlet for ages, but truth be told, I always just end up playing video games or something, rather than trying something creative. I say it's important to me, but it always seems to get out-prioritised.

Most of you don't know this, but I am a successful, competitive pokemon player (there's a point to this, I swear). What made me successful was my conceptual ability. I'm very good at sitting down and analysing the game, looking for 'the key to winning', finding the core concepts of the game and forcing a victory. This to me isn't Ne at all. I know a lot of Ne dom players who find lots of new possibilities and strive off them. I however, really don't do that at all. It seems to me that I approach the game in an Ni sort of way and Ne is just secondary, used when I need ways to take advantage of my theoretical observations.

Maybe I'm just confusing the 2 functions again. Do I have these functions right?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have no idea but keep me posted when you find the answer. I don't think I understand very well what Ni is. Also, your last paragraph, could that be Ti?? I have problems sometimes differentiating intuition from thinking?! I don't know, I'm confused a lot about the functions, sorry I couldn't help you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think you are confusing the functions.

Ne is mostly about cross-contextual thinking, seeking patterns unconsciouly about whats being perceived in external world and comparing these patterns to existing ones.

There was this tv commercial which displays perfectly what this is about.

The commercial is about some health drink. There is father and son and the dad is trying to explain why its good to drink it, he starts to tell about calsium, how it strenghtens bones, about vitamins, immune system etc and how they work to the kid, but keeps noticing that his explanations are way too complex for kid this age to understand. Then the kid asks; "so its like this bike helmet, but for the whole body?".

The way this kid figured out what his dad was trying to say and was able to create a working metaphor for it is cross-contextual thinking.

Ni on the other hand is combining known facts(from Se and J functions) to form a big picture of how something and seeing where these facts lead to.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see Ne asks for the how rather than the why and I see Ni asks for the why rather than the how.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see Ne asks for the how rather than the why and I see Ni asks for the why rather than the how.

It's more like Ne is the reporter asking all the questions and Ni is the late night radio person reflecting about the report ;)

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
23816868.jpg

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
NI vs. NE

NI vs. NE

The idea of NI and NE against each other is best exemplified by understanding frameworks.

A framework is a system of thought or a way of doing things which acts as basis for a system.

If your framework for success, for example, is static, then you are NI. If you believe that you have to do the same thing day in and day out to achieve goal x or y, to that degree you are NI.

If you on the other hand have a more flexible way of achieving success then you are NE.

Based on how you interact with frameworks you can determine NE vs. NI. It should be noted that no one sticks with one framework and no one always sticks to many frameworks. Someone is in between NE and NI but no one in themselves embodies NE or NI in totality. We will always find someone who is more extroverted and less extroverted than oursrelves, not to mention that what is not regarded in mbti or typology is the context of the situation.

A person who is NE at work might be NI at home for example. This tiered, or echelon nature of personality is analogues to electron shells and is missing from teh current theory...which is why mbti or typology is lacking in degrees of resolution.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
NI vs. NE

The idea of NI and NE against each other is best exemplified by understanding frameworks.

A framework is a system of thought or a way of doing things which acts as basis for a system.

If your framework for success, for example, is static, then you are NI. If you believe that you have to do the same thing day in and day out to achieve goal x or y, to that degree you are NI.

If you on the other hand have a more flexible way of achieving success then you are NE.

Based on how you interact with frameworks you can determine NE vs. NI. It should be noted that no one sticks with one framework and no one always sticks to many frameworks. Someone is in between NE and NI but no one in themselves embodies NE or NI in totality. We will always find someone who is more extroverted and less extroverted than oursrelves, not to mention that what is not regarded in mbti or typology is the context of the situation.

A person who is NE at work might be NI at home for example. This tiered, or echelon nature of personality is analogues to electron shells and is missing from teh current theory...which is why mbti or typology is lacking in degrees of resolution.

to reiterate - NE works in tandem with TI when it looks at various different systems (frameworks) and creates its own internal subjective framework based on the commonalities and differences of these many frameworks...so we have the scientist who makes a ray gun out of the parts in a toaster and microwave.

NI works in tandem with TE by adopting one framework and transposing it on to other frameworks - so we have the stereotypical scientist who treats everything like the subject matter he is studying and says things like "dating is a lot like quantum physics"

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Now we can see how you can tell if you are TE, TI, NE, or NI.

If you make career decisions based on salary first and personality second then you are TE.

If you make it based on a personalized collective image - i.t. doctor, lawyer, scientist, or a collective image which you have personalized than you are TI.