• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne and Ni

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Think of Ni as a sniper-rifle and Ne as a shotgun
Ni as a funnel and Ne as a sprayer

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne watches forward for all of the possibilities how could the concrete situation end (He can ask me about holidays, He can spill his coffee, She can run into office, The radio will now play this or that song etc.)

Ni chooses ONE of those possibilities (He will now spill his coffee, because she will run into office, because she heard in the radio something about the place, where he was on vacation, knowing it, because I [Ni user] have heard it in the radio too.).

Well, but I have never met Ni, so let's assume that this is pure theory of readed content from internet.

hahahaha. This kind of reminds me of a funny situation I had once. I was sitting up on some rocks with friends, (on a little peninsula area surrounded by oceans, rocks with a lot of tide pools in them) and a lady started walking towards us. And then I said, "wouldn't it be funny if that lady just fell into that tidepool?" (and she did!!!)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ :laugh:!

yeah. Ne sometimes ends up "predicting" the future too, cause we have a broad view of possibility.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ :laugh:!

yeah. Ne sometimes ends up "predicting" the future too, cause we have a broad view of possibility.

I know. Even a broken clock predicts right twice a day. :laugh:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni puzzles me, peoples descriptions of it are always vague and incomprehensible. The way I'd define it would be that Ni may take something from outside and explore every notion it holds gain as much insight from it as possible. So you might say to an Ni user, "is that skim milk?" and they might stew on it wondering why you asked, "no, don't worry, I'm going to the gym later". Ne might be more like "nope, squeezed straight from a cows udder". Either function might take a more passive role if it's not dominant.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ne does seem to answer things that would make sense in some absurd reality like yesterday i texted my boss on the way to work to let him know i was driving 5 miles an hour on the highway and he responded lol hat time then? and i said yes definitely hat time....not sure why that example came to mind but i think that's a ne thing...yes? haha

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Quick, simplified description I'm shamelessly paraphrasing from ENFP/INFJ youtube video... Ne users plan to say something simple, have a clear plan of what they want to say, then wind up rambling when they actually start to speak, because they're discovering new connections/ideas/possibilities as the speak. Ni users have a lot going on in their head, but when they speak their idea generally come out more clear/succinct.

Also, Ne manifests as a series or web of connected ideas (ie: blue... sky... birds... trees... hands... people... cats... dogs... frogs... bogs... logs... mud... earth... Jupiter... gas... Saturn... rings... redwood trees... California... hate... my friends... the ocean... love... passion... fire...) where the connections are often only evident to the individual user. The above sequence is totally logical to me (err... well... I know it's not logical in the linear sense but it makes sense to me) where to a stranger would be bewildered.

Ni (from my own limited experience and what I've heard) manifests as a sudden image or message that sums everything up. (I THINK it's something like: chaotic flow of thoughts/problem solving... weird single image... EUREKA!). Ni users feel free to refine/contradict.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Ni doesn't make much sense to me. What am I being untuitive about? An internal process? Digestion? Circulation? The fact is that everything I have an intuitive thought about is external to me, or made so because I need to concretize it in order to have an object to contemplate. And anyway, intuition requires more than one object in order to happen at all. Otherwise you're simply noting sensory information ('the sky is blue', it's raining) or remembering.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Barely anyone who enters the thread will read it. Be slightly more tactful and summarise to allow those who do not understand to understand things in a more 'for dummies' way.

Most have Ne down correctly.
But as for Ni...
Ni is not: "poof" an idea, which appears out of nowhere.

It is the analysis of the object within different dimensions to be able to see what the object may or may not be.

Let us take an object:

Humans:

- Homosapiens
- Molecules
- Moving objects
- Assembly of organs
- Tools of war

All such thoughts are what humans could be. Note: Every thought is connected to the object.

Cartoon:

- Lines and colours
- Light
- Pleasing sensory perceptions
- Distorted beings
- Many pictures
- Surrealism

All the such thoughts are what cartoons are, in different perceptions. Again, every thought is connected to the object. Not move on tangents as Ne tends to do.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
it seems like Ne and Ni move opposite. i've heard all the functions + attitudes described as "conveyor belts" which can be switched clockwise/counterclockwise before, and i can see this on an "N" belt.

Ne, clearly, moves outward. you start at one point and look out into all the things it could be.

Ni, as oaky has demonstrated, moves inward. it takes all the points and finds the least common denominator.

they both share the philosophy that all things are, in essence, one thing. for Ne, one thing can become many things. for Ni, many things are, when distilled, one thing.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Barely anyone who enters the thread will read it. Be slightly more tactful and summarise to allow those who do not understand to understand things in a more 'for dummies' way.

But as for Ni...

It is the analysis of the object within different dimensions to be able to see what the object may or may not be.

Let us take an object:

Humans:

- Homosapiens
- Molecules
- Moving objects
- Assembly of organs
- Tools of war

All such thoughts are what humans could be. Note: Every thought is connected to the object.

Cartoon:

- Lines and colours
- Light
- Distorted beings
- Many pictures
- Surrealism

All the such thoughts are what cartoons are, in different perceptions. Again, every thought is connected to the object. Not move on tangents as Ne tends to do.

Is this to say that Ne creates connections that springboard (or grow) in an outward direction from the object in question, while Ni creates connections going inward and directed towards the object?

A

Anew Leaf

But as for Ni...

Let us take an object:

Humans:

- Homosapiens
- Molecules
- Moving objects
- Assembly of organs
- Tools of war

Cartoon:

- Lines and colours
- Light
- Distorted beings
- Many pictures
- Surrealism

Great break-down of Ni, Oaky. I think the reason why I have thought of it as "poof" is simply because I don't see their process at all... being that it is introverted... so it comes out as being "poof! magic solution!"

I really value my INXJ friends for this ability... I find it works great with my Ne to find really good solutions to problems. :)

Edit/Addition:

it seems like Ne and Ni move opposite. i've heard all the functions + attitudes described as "conveyor belts" which can be switched clockwise/counterclockwise before, and i can see this on an "N" belt.

Ne, clearly, moves outward. you start at one point and look out into all the things it could be.

Ni, as oaky has demonstrated, moves inward. it takes all the points and finds the least common denominator.

they both share the philosophy that all things are, in essence, one thing. for Ne, one thing can become many things. for Ni, many things are, when distilled, one thing.

what is also significant is how they rest on their partner functions - Se and Si - as i believe orobas has already touched upon. Ne needs the concrete detail of Si to anchor it in space, so that it can look around it and consider all of the possibilities that exist at that singular moment. it negates time as a factor, essentially. Ni needs the concrete detail of Se to anchor it in time, so that it can look around it at that singular location. it negates space as a factor. Ne is a coronal section while Ni is a sagittal section.

Ne appears more "random" to us in the present moment because of the negation of time. all those possibilities can exist, but they are not necessarily pertinent when we consider practicality and probability, and change over time. whereas Ni can seem "out of nowhere", because of the negation of what i'm calling "space" - physical presence, if you will. while Ni may well be correct in its distillations, they might not be pertinent to the present moment - yet.

Good job Sky! :D

That is one of the best descriptions I have read yet. It definitely explains a big piece of the way I tend to think where I do ignore time completely. I also love reading stories that aren't linear for the same reason.

For one shining moment Ne and Ni made perfectly clear sense in my head. :heart:

xpersephonex

Ni focuses on imagination and creating different contexts. Ne focuses on reality and connecting similar contents. Both draw the contents from Si and Se.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ni, as oaky has demonstrated, moves "inward". it takes all the points and finds the least common denominator.

really like this way of putting it.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Ni, as oaky has demonstrated, moves "inward". it takes all the points and finds the least common denominator.

Woah! That was freaky. I posted my response and then read your response.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Also, Ne manifests as a series or web of connected ideas (ie: blue... sky... birds... trees... hands... people... cats... dogs... frogs... bogs... logs... mud... earth... Jupiter... gas... Saturn... rings... redwood trees... California... hate... my friends... the ocean... love... passion... fire...)

Yeah, definitely.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Woah! That was freaky. I posted my response and then read your response.

:hifive:

--

anyway i think what is also significant is how they rest on their partner functions - Se and Si - as i believe orobas has already touched upon. Ne needs the concrete detail of Si to anchor it in space, so that it can look around it and consider all of the possibilities that exist at that singular moment. it negates time as a factor, essentially. Ni needs the concrete detail of Se to anchor it in time, so that it can look around it at that singular location. it negates space as a factor. Ne is a coronal section while Ni is a sagittal section.

Ne appears more "random" to us in the present moment because of the negation of time. all those possibilities can exist, but they are not necessarily pertinent when we consider practicality and probability, and change over time. whereas Ni can seem "out of nowhere", because of the negation of what i'm calling "space"... i don't really know how to describe it, but i essentially mean "headspace" - room for expansion. room for differentiation. while Ni may well be correct in its distillations, they might not be pertinent to the present moment - yet. in other words, it may still be more useful to see the particle as a particle instead of a wave-particle, because it's still behaving like a particle in this particular situation.

okay, i'm not sure what i'm talking about anymore. i think my N is getting ahead of me. :laugh:

-- ooh right. it's like the N functions use the S "data points" to draw their big pictures from. Ne isolates a singular Si point and draws lines outward to other Si points (fire --> red + heat + smoke + etc), while Ni gathers a series of Se points and draws one line from them connecting to a new point - but Se points aren't things, they're processes (acorn growing on tree then falling off + mom having a baby + pregnant seahorse producing little seahorses --> life produces new life via creating a smaller version of itself).

*clearly you can see that i am Ne here... i have trouble describing Ni using the right words, even though i think i basically understand it in images in my head...

A

Anew Leaf

:hifive:

--

anyway i think what is also significant is how they rest on their partner functions - Se and Si - as i believe orobas has already touched upon. Ne needs the concrete detail of Si to anchor it in space, so that it can look around it and consider all of the possibilities that exist at that singular moment. it negates time as a factor, essentially. Ni needs the concrete detail of Se to anchor it in time, so that it can look around it at that singular location. it negates space as a factor. Ne is a coronal section while Ni is a sagittal section.

Ne appears more "random" to us in the present moment because of the negation of time. all those possibilities can exist, but they are not necessarily pertinent when we consider practicality and probability, and change over time. whereas Ni can seem "out of nowhere", because of the negation of what i'm calling "space"... i don't really know how to describe it, but i essentially mean "headspace" - room for expansion. room for differentiation. while Ni may well be correct in its distillations, they might not be pertinent to the present moment - yet. in other words, it may still be more useful to see the particle as a particle instead of a wave-particle, because it's still behaving like a particle in this particular situation.

okay, i'm not sure what i'm talking about anymore. i think my N is getting ahead of me. :laugh:

You have won the thread, sky! :D

I understand my Si ability the least actually... So it is very intriguing to see how it fits into my Ne ability as a helper. And it definitely makes sense when I am talking to my Ni-dom friends about things and wondering where the heck they are coming up with stuff. :)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes, great stuff Skylights. Far better clearing things.
Is this to say that Ne creates connections that springboard (or grow) in an outward direction from the object in question, while Ni creates connections going inward and directed towards the object?
Oh yes, absolutely.

Great break-down of Ni, Oaky. I think the reason why I have thought of it as "poof" is simply because I don't see their process at all... being that it is introverted... so it comes out as being "poof! magic solution!"

I really value my INXJ friends for this ability... I find it works great with my Ne to find really good solutions to problems. :)
Ah, well it certainly it can be perceived in such a way. Especially when one wonders where the thoughts moving inwards would appear from. This is where people get confused on the matter.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
it's like the N functions use the S "data points" to draw their big pictures from. Ne isolates a singular Si point and draws lines outward to other Si points (fire --> red + heat + smoke + etc), while Ni gathers a series of Se points and draws one line from them connecting to a new point - but Se points aren't things, they're processes (acorn growing on tree then falling off + mom having a baby + pregnant seahorse producing little seahorses --> life produces new life via creating a smaller version of itself).

Yeah, that makes sense to me. It's like Ne wants to go from one thing to MANY THINGS. And Ni wants to go from many things to ONE THING (or towards one conclusion).