• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Plays & MBTI

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
On intpcentral, many intps acknowledge Hamlet as Shakespeare's greatest play.

Though I consider Hamlet as one of my favourites, I adore The Winter's Tale the most.

So
If INTP is to Hamlet (A Tragic fall of a great philosophical mind iconoclastic to those around him and sets things right without giving a damn.)
Then INFP is to The Winter's Tale (An Idyllic pastoral play examining human cognition, relationships and connections in the world)

What other plays have you encountered which give off a overall or character specific mbti vibe? Feel free to continue or modify the sequence or use any other play.

Last edited:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I also tend to think Hamlet is Shakespeare's greatest play (also probably the greatest play ever written in general.) I'm not sure if that is an ENTP thing though. It's probably more just a matter of taste.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with the Hamlet assessment -- Hamlet's style and the philosophy inherent to the play align well with INTP.

Some other options, to prime the pump:
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Macbeth
Othello
King Lear
The Merchant of Venice
Measure by Measure
Henry [whatever]
Romeo & Juliet
As You Like It

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Romeo and Juliet is definitely a more F'ish play, probably more P'ish play, as it dealswith character who make fast decisions, without a lot of thinking through, who follow emotions moreso than thoughts.

Henry IV part 1: I'm not completely sure of this, I could see it as a more INTJish sort of play because it deals with a character deciding on his own to get his act together and do something big, but there are enough characters of different personalities who could attract a number of different types of people.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
My favorite play is Cymbeline. It is TOTALLY an NF idealist play, maybe an INFJ play! ;)

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Okay, so this is hardly Shakespeare, but there was a production of the musical RENT on in our town these last couple of weeks and I went to see it twice.

The first time I went with my INTP friend - we're both big fans, and have been since the movie came out and we discovered it. :D

The second time I went with my ISFP mother. She enjoyed the singing and such, but fundamentally disagreed with the whole 'message' of the play: the not paying of any rent, re-wiring ATMs, not working and living as 'starving artists', etc.

Which I found quite interesting. I mean, I could personally never live that life, but neither do I have any problem with it. She did. Even the fictional depiction of such a life bothered her.

My INFJ (I think) brother also likes the movie very much (although he didn't go see the play). My ESTJ dad won't even watch the movie - he doesn't like musicals, is distinctly uncomfortable with any depiction of homosexuality, and is a landlord himself. So there's not really much debate about whether he'd like it or not! ^^

So, it seems pretty obvious that perhaps RENT is a musical that would suit Intuitives more than Sensors?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Perhaps SJs would be more drawn to Shakespeare's history plays?

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with the Hamlet assessment -- Hamlet's style and the philosophy inherent to the play align well with INTP.

Some other options, to prime the pump:
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Macbeth
Othello
King Lear
The Merchant of Venice
Measure by Measure
Henry [whatever]
Romeo & Juliet
As You Like It

Thats the only shakespear i've read and it was great, especially the joke about the ass.

What type is shakespear?
i've heard he is an NT despite most witers being NFs.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thats the only shakespear i've read and it was great, especially the joke about the ass.

What type is shakespear?
i've heard he is an NT despite most witers being NFs.

Certainly xNFP, although everyone seems to think that Shakespeare is their type or close to it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
What about Twelfth Night? F of some sort?