• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it better to be well-rounded in function use?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You're the epitome of an arrogant Ti-er. I'd be a lot more impressed by you if you could push out some Ne every once in a while ;) A varied armory is a lot more impressive to any gun collector out there.

Though I bet you don't even give a shit about impressing anyone here (yay underdeveloped tert Fe!!), but it just makes you predictable and you probably rarely get laid. oh wellz!! at least you can fool yourself into believing that you're capable of developing something like the theory of relativity. but too bad that's already been done :doh:

I think I have good Ne. I'm always fixated on "what if" alternatives, and also, there's my incredible insight. :cool:

And I always test as having a higher preference for N than T, but only slightly.

Ya know, if it wasn't for Ne-ers like you, this world wo.... oops, that doesn't sound right.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think I have good Ne. I'm always fixated on "what if" alternatives, and also, there's my incredible insight. :cool:

And I always test as having a higher preference for N than T, but only slightly.

Ya know, if it wasn't for Ne-ers like you, this world wo.... oops, that doesn't sound right.

I'm just fucking with you.

And to the bolded: I'm missing your joke (thought there is one interpretation I'm seeing, but it's kind of far-fetched).

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it. You're mocking Ti overanalysis and inability to conclude anything.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Breadth and depth are both very important. Breadth adds to depth.

Well, you can only space out your depth with breadth for so long, until it becomes shallow. There is usually a limit.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's very important to balance functions. I think an ENFP without developed Te is a basket case who needs a baby-sitter. :D

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm just fucking with you.

And to the bolded: I'm missing your joke (thought there is one interpretation I'm seeing, but it's kind of far-fetched).

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it. You're mocking Ti overanalysis and inability to conclude anything.

It was a joke, a reference to the taboo of saying the N word. An ingenious molding of MBTI and racial humor. ;)

Maybe that's too abstract for you, maybe your Ne isn't good enough to get it???

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
It was a joke, a reference to the taboo of saying the N word. An ingenious molding of MBTI and racial humor. ;)

Maybe that's too abstract for you, maybe your Ne isn't good enough to get it???

Or your Ne just sucks and thus doesn't allow for a substantial audience to find your jokes humorous?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol I love when INTPs try to attack ENTP Ne

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Well, you can only space out your depth with breadth for so long, until it becomes shallow. There is usually a limit.

Yeah that's assuming that we have a predefined amount of intellectual capacity, and that's silly. The kind of limits to which you are referring could only occur due to a lack of space to hold some sort of tangible matter, and seeing as knowledge is an abstract concept, your analysis doesn't really apply. Adding to knowledge in one area doesn't take away from it in another.

The only real limit to knowledge is time.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Or your Ne just sucks and thus doesn't allow for a substantial audience to find your jokes humorous?

That's alright, I'm incredibly high-brow. Can't reach the lowest common denominator, but that's the price I pay I guess.

Yeah that's assuming that we have a predefined amount of intellectual capacity, and that's silly. The kind of limits to which you are referring could only occur due to a lack of space to hold some sort of tangible matter, and seeing as knowledge is an abstract concept, your analysis doesn't really apply. Adding to knowledge in one area doesn't take away from it in another.

The only limit to knowledge is time.

Once you begin breadth, you are drawing upon a certain amount of depth that you have. The more breadth, the closer you get to your depth limit.

However you can add to intellectual capacity and depth during breadth, but not enough to supplement depth, depending on how long you go on for.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
That's alright, I'm incredibly high-brow. Can't reach the lowest common denominator, but that's the price I pay I guess.

I'll give you a math lesson some time then.

Once you begin breadth, you are drawing upon a certain amount of depth that you have. The more breadth, the closer you get to your depth limit.

Really now? How do you figure that? I don't see how you can believe that there's a limit to knowledge. If a person was immortal and had all the time in the world, he/she could theoretically know everything about everything.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'll give you a math lesson some time then.

lol. Not bad..

Really now? How do you figure that? I don't see how you can believe that there's a limit to knowledge. If a person was immortal and had all the time in the world, he/she could theoretically know everything about everything.

I'm not quite saying there is a limit to knowledge. An immortal, or a Highlander, has an unlimited potential.

I'm saying, at any one moment, you have a certain limited amount of knowledge or intelligence. From one moment to the next, it is always changing. So the moment you begin breadth, you are drawing from a limited supply. Unless you acquire all the knowledge in the universe during your conservation with someone. And I'm not going to teach you all that.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I see my 4 functions like a traditional family. Fi is the dad (or mom) and wears the pants & makes the decisions, Ne is the supporting spouse (defers to Fi), Si is the big sis, and Te is the little bratty brother. Even as Si and Te grow up, they still aren't the dad and mom of the family. In order to have harmony in the family, Fi and Ne need to maintain their authority, as they will always have the advantage of being more mature. Most likely, Si and Te will never grow up fully & will always be dependent, but Fi and Ne still need to reach a level of maturity & harmony with each other to keep them in check and to take the lead. :cheese:

And that is basically how Beebe's arechetypes work. Except, it's hero, parent, child and anima. The first two are more mature, and the next two are less mature. The so-called "shadows" (the same functions with the attitudes reversed) are just negative versions of those four. (So #3 would be good child, and #7 would be the bratty child).

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes I see my 4 functions like a traditional family. Fi is the dad (or mom) and wears the pants & makes the decisions, Ne is the supporting spouse (defers to Fi), Si is the big sis, and Te is the little bratty brother. Even as Si and Te grow up, they still aren't the dad and mom of the family. In order to have harmony in the family, Fi and Ne need to maintain their authority, as they will always have the advantage of being more mature. Most likely, Si and Te will never grow up fully & will always be dependent, but Fi and Ne still need to reach a level of maturity & harmony with each other to keep them in check and to take the lead. :cheese:

Oooh, I love this!

My ENTJ ex-boss believes in scenario A -- develop your strengths and use that to compensate for your weaknesses. She thinks it's better to be excellent in one area and horrible in others than to be mediocre in all areas. I won't argue with that, because evidently that's what got her to the top of the career ladder.

However, I think everyone should still try to develop their weaker functions -- simply because it's going to make you happier! I know my life would be a lot better if I manage to use more Se. Right now, with underdeveloped Se, I am easily overwhelmed by the world. I don't notice details. I feel that my energy drains very quickly when I go out. I don't enjoy social gatherings at all and I always dread it (sometimes days in advance) when I have to go to parties and weddings. Now if I totally indulged myself in my comfort zone, I would just flee into a world of seclusion, reflection and fantasy. That can't be healthy.

With better Se, however, I would be more confident in my ability to handle new situations. I wouldn't stress out so much about dealing with unpredictable things in life that require attention right now. With more information from Se, my Ni would be able to find new angles to look from. Ni and Fe would also be able to connect more to the world, make more of a presence, and become relevant to reality.

Most healthy people I know are not strongly extroverted or introverted -- maybe because they have a well-developed auxiliary or inferior function. They're also harder to type, because they seem to do a little bit of everything. You won't really go "Wow, what a character!" when you meet them. But do they seem more content, more at peace with life? Definitely.