• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Preaching the Secondary: An Exercise

B

beyondaurora

I saw this come up in another thread, and I'm very interested to hear how this applies to you. (For background info, go to: Attitudes from the Horse's Mouth)

Answer this question:

What is the very most important insight about life -- the thing that everyone needs to learn to do, and that doesn't come easily or obviously?

Identify the function at play.

Is this function your secondary?

B

beyondaurora

What is the very most important insight about life -- the thing that everyone needs to learn to do, and that doesn't come easily or obviously?

Identify the function at play.

Is this function your secondary?

Here's my own:
There are some things in life that you cannot understand without experiencing them. (Se???) So, you cannot always understand what another person is going through and the decisions they make. Recognize this, and in absence of experiential understanding, remember that they are just like you in the most fundamental ways -- they hurt, they feel greed, they love, they regret, they're afraid, etc. -- so try not to judge them too harshly. (Fi -- Fi is my primary)
I have a hard time identifying functions myself, so input is appreciated!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyone needs to realize that things really aren't as complicated as they think that they are; and that people overcomplicate their lives with their feelings and paranoia.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx

Woo, I like questions where I can give a subjective answer which is harder to challenge. Anyways:

There's an infinite amount of worldviews, each of them largely subjective and each of them probably wrong. They're all attempts to what really see what everything is, be it the universe of some theoretical superset thereof. One of the more prevailing views which is more likely to be correct is that there are certain constant laws about the universe through which all substances interact and that anything can be calculated if all of the parameters affecting the data are know. Quantum Mechanics/ Quantum Physics has something say about that, but there's another story.

While Socrates was very true when he stated "I know that I know nothing," even beyond the literal interpretation of that there are things that will not be known. The story, however, does not end there. I am a subscriber to the theory that humans possess the powers of reason to discern between what is true and what is not. Analyze everything that comes in, find out where it came from, and check it for holes.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Everyone needs to realize that things really aren't as complicated as they think that they are; and that people overcomplicate their lives with their feelings and paranoia.

That's merely an evolutionary defense mechanism. The level-headed organism is more likely to reproduce. Nothing more than neurochemistry at work in that statement. Humans thrive on personal delusions. It works perfectly until delusions conflict with each other or reality such that the organism is less likely to survive. :tongue:

B

beyondaurora

Continue...

The function? Ni? Your tertiary.

B

beyondaurora

There's an infinite amount of worldviews, each of them largely subjective and each of them probably wrong.
I am a subscriber to the theory that humans possess the powers of reason to discern between what is true and what is not. Analyze everything that comes in, find out where it came from, and check it for holes.

Okay, so...

Ne, Ti? Your tertiary and inferior.

(Again, I'm not good at this, so those who are, please chime in.)

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Be completely free, without hindering other people's freedom. Enjoy life, follow your whims, do what you feel is right. Do not harm others.

Fi?

Edited a little.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
People need to learn not to react before they have stepped back and attempted to view their situation, and that of offending parties, from an external standpoint. Doing so allows for actions that are more objective and more empathetic, and prevents rash, automatic reactions that are regretted later by all involved. People need to take a moment to contemplate, so that their actions are rational, and inclined to maximise chances at a desired outcome.

?

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmm, important insight that I wish I could drill into everyone's heads? :)

The world is not always black or white. There is a lot of grey stuff out there. The more flexible everyone becomes, the better place the world becomes...

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
Hmmm, important insight that I wish I could drill into everyone's heads? :)

The world is not always black or white. There is a lot of grey stuff out there. The more flexible everyone becomes, the better place the world becomes...

Yes.

Mine would be simply;

"self honesty" period. And tied to that;

"the only way is through"

These are both based on things I had to learn by experience... hmm.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Everyone needs to... hmm... find their place in the world. xD Yes. Everyone needs to learn how to contribute to shared life in a constructive way.

Another thing that everyone needs to do is... face death. Accept life as it is, accept that this is MY life and that my time here is limited.

The first reminds me of Fe, the second reminds me of Ni, if any function...

I think that people's thoughts on this subject are also tied to their developmental stage, not only to their cognitive functions. My insights are also not only based on my personal experience, but on reading and reflection. I have thought and read about the human course of life the past few days and have been thinking about old age and death, so my thoughts are related to those themes at the moment...