• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dominant Assumption: "Above all else..."

VagrantFarce

INJ (Ni): "...reality is arbitrary, and we are nothing but irrational, pattern-seeking individuals. Every perspective is an assumption, and there is no right or wrong answer to anything."
ITP (Ti): "...the universe makes sense, and is governed by logic. As people, we are subject to the same rules as everything else and are no "better" or "worse" than anything else."
IFP (Fi): "...the world is shaped by individuals, with living emotional needs. We are all driven by subjective values that are specific to us and no one else."
ISJ (Si): "...the world is shaped by individuals or communities with their own loyalties, seeking to preserve what they think is important."

EFJ (Fe): "...people are social animals, and we need to feel embraced in a larger community in order to feel good about ourselves."
ETJ (Te) "...people love to take control. We measure, we exploit and we take as much as we can in order to feel good about ourselves."
ENP (Ne) "...opportunities for change come and go, and we need to keep moving if we're going to catch them. We're like sharks! We have to keep moving in order to survive!"
ESP (Se) "...everything is just a series of moments and sensations, and we're just animals at the end of the day. If we want something, we just go get it!"

I like doing these things :yes:

S

Sniffles

INJ (Ni): "...reality is arbitrary, and we are nothing but irrational, pattern-seeking individuals. Every perspective is an assumption, and there is no right or wrong answer to anything."
I dont know if I'd go that far.

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Very relativist. It resonates pretty well with me, though, but I take the latter part to be referring to moral questions and answers, and not logical ones which arguably do have correct answers if they're structured correctly because we define them...

S

Sniffles

Very relativist. It resonates pretty well with me, though, but I take the latter part to be referring to moral questions and answers, and not logical ones which arguably do have correct answers if they're structured correctly because we define them...

Well even in regards to moral questions, the latter part wouldnt apply.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ITP (Ti): "...the universe makes sense, and is governed by logic. As people, we are subject to the same rules as everything else and are no "better" or "worse" than anything else."

To assume that it is the universe that makes sense is a bold statement ;)

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
IFP (Fi): "...the world is shaped by individuals, with living emotional needs. We are all driven by subjective values that are specific to us and no one else."
ISJ (Si): "...the world is shaped by individuals or communities with their own loyalties, seeking to preserve what they think is important."
EFJ (Fe): "...people are social animals, and we need to feel embraced in a larger community in order to feel good about ourselves."
ETJ (Te) "...people love to take control. We measure, we exploit and we take as much as we can in order to feel good about ourselves."
ESP (Se) "...everything is just a series of moments and sensations, and we're just animals at the end of the day. If we want something, we just go get it!"

I agree with all of the above (which is everything minus Ti and Ne). And I don't really agree with any one of the six more than the rest. I have reservations about some of the wording, so it makes it hard for me to agree entirely with any of them as presented. The italicized portions are the parts I would like to alter or have clarified and the bolded parts are the ones I most agree with.

- "...reality is arbitrary, and we are nothing but irrational, pattern-seeking individuals. Every perspective is an assumption, and there is no right or wrong answer to anything."
- "...the world is shaped by individuals, with living emotional needs. We are all driven by subjective values that are specific to us and no one else."
- "...the world is shaped by individuals or communities with their own loyalties, seeking to preserve what they think is important."
- "...people are social animals, and we need to feel embraced in a larger community in order to feel good about ourselves."
- "...people love to take control. We measure, we exploit and we take as much as we can in order to feel good about ourselves." - (I agree in general, but manifestations of self interest and self preservation are far more varied than just gimme gimme gimme in complex societies and with human senses of ego and psychological needs in the mix.)
- "...everything is just a series of moments and sensations, and we're just animals at the end of the day. If we want something, we just go get it!" (See above.)

Last edited:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nice!
I don't think Ni will call anything 'irrational' - whether rational or not doens't matter.
I'll try my own:

Te: the world is full of competition, profit and loss. Always keep your goal in mind and move towards it. Don't lose time on petty revenges, whims or even proving you're right.
Fe: the world is above all a society of people: loving, hateful, kind, annoying, trusty,... Make yourself lovable for the people you love and trust.
Ti: the world is a consistent place and everyone is rational. Discern between true and false and you'll understand everything.
Fi: behind every reality, there is a deeper reality called the willpower (paraphrased from some philosopher... I've forgotten the name.) People are subjective and irrational. Keep in mind your deepest desires and values. Be at least true to yourself.

Se: the world is beautiful! Why all that fuss and ambition when you can enjoy life now? (*)
Ne: the world is interesting and inspiring! Combine everything you observe and create something new.
Si: the world is a constant given, or at least, change happens slowly enough such that any experience you build up will serve you for your lifetime.
Ni: the world is full of recurring patterns. Recognise these and you'll be able to use your experience in a much broader context.

(*) Reminds me of this story... A poor fisher was fishing with one rod. A passenger suggested him to use more rods, such that he could catch more fish and get richer. The fisher asked: "And then?"
"You'll be able to buy a boat and catch even more fish!"
"And then?"
After a few steps like this, the fisher would be the owner of a large fishing company and be rich enough such that he doesn't have to work any more.
"And then?"
"You could do whatever you want!"
"Well, I like to fish..." (Meaning - I'm doing what I like to do now, I don't have to get rich first)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
My own -

INJ (Ni): "you can't understand things until they're broken down into their components. Then, you've got to break those components down into their own components. Once you've done this, you begin to realize what's actually been hidden there the whole time"
ITP (Ti): "there is always a path between here and there. If you know the path, then you know how to get to your location. The key is finding the path"
IFP (Fi): "to thine own self be true"
ISJ (Si): "the world is the same place it was when you were a child. What was then is also what it is now"

EFJ (Fe): "love thy neighbor as thyself"
ETJ (Te): "the path is not always apparent. Sometimes, it must be made"
ENP (Ne): "change is an inherent part of the universe. Tomorrow will not be the same as today, and this is a good thing"
ESP (Se): "the world is what it is right now. While good to keep the past in mind, and sometimes wise to consider the future, both are meaningless outside of the present context"

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
To assume that it is the universe that makes sense is a bold statement ;)

"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it's comprehensible." -Most Famous Ti User of All Time

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This doesn't speak to me...

what is your definition of Fi? you've always seemed somewhat Ti to me. very "correct" or "incorrect"

I dont know if I'd go that far.

tertiary Ti restores some coherency, foundation, and order to the/our universe. why jung as infj describes himself as Ni and Ti. tag-teaming shit. i don't believe in truth, yet i know i'm right. i know what is more right. pragmatism, philosophy of language, poetry, etc. i know that what i see is the best way of seeing it. unless there's a better way. but i know.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it's comprehensible." -Most Famous Ti User of All Time

Being comprehensible is a quality, making sense is an activity.
I don't object to the statement above, I just think it's a bold statement to assume that it is the universe itself that makes sense. My objection is that I think the statement in the OP tries to anthropomorphize a non-human entity.

And it's that delightful assumption that makes science possible.
Not necessarily. It suffices if parts of it can be described accurately enough; it doesn't need apply to the universe as a whole.

Also, I said the statement in the OP was bold - not that it was wrong ;)