• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PT's typing game #1

What type is she?

• Total voters

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm going to ask 3 questions, but one of them isn't about the woman.

How long have you known her?

Any habits (other than smoking)? I'm not talking just about a daily ritual - even something as small as a tic like consistently chewing on erasers or spinning salt shakers. Any of that shit?

If you know, how do people act around her? Same while working as outside of work?

Can I get another question if you're not able to answer any of these?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Just a side comment Pt,

Most of what you have on this person is very non specific. I wouldn't be surprised at any particular answer.

Mind you it'd be revealing if you'd relay if she worked out that you had a soft spot for her and whether she confronted you about it in any way :D

(You don't have to answer that I'm playing with you.)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
How long have you known her?

13-14 years, now that I calculate it.

Any habits (other than smoking)? I'm not talking just about a daily ritual - even something as small as a tic like consistently chewing on erasers or spinning salt shakers. Any of that shit?

Hmmmm.... no. Nothing like that.

If you know, how do people act around her? Same while working as outside of work?

She's quite different inside and outside of work. Inside work she deals with a lot of people, works hard and all that... but outside of work she is quite laid back. Watches a lot of TV, doesn't go out much with others. Other than lounging, spends a lot of time with her dogs and working on the computer.

I'd say that others, when they are around her, are pretty much the same... but she acts the same. Same conversations, same topics... personal problems to latest TV shows. The only difference is that she is responsible for the work being done so she will tell you to get things done (although I suppose that could be similar to her suggesting what I should do as well).

Can I get another question if you're not able to answer any of these?

Well, I'm answering unofficially since it's a bit late :D

Most of what you have on this person is very non specific. I wouldn't be surprised at any particular answer.

SELECT * FROM Questions where QUESTION_source = 'Xander'

0 rows returned.

Uh huh. Specific questions - specific answers - it's hard to answer questions that require interpretation (ie: specific - does she come in early in the morning? less specific - is she a morning person?) Granted, maybe I just suck at avoiding giving out my own view (knowing her type).

Mind you it'd be revealing if you'd relay if she worked out that you had a soft spot for her and whether she confronted you about it in any way :D

(You don't have to answer that I'm playing with you.)

Nah, nothing like that :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, I guess I'll shut this down now.

She's an ESTJ with all confidences above 70%. Nice call Zergling :D

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Considering the amount of info we've had I don't think missing by one letter is that bad of a guess.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Considering the amount of info we've had I don't think missing by one letter is that bad of a guess.

A single dichotomy can cause very drastic change in temperament. ESTJ is really really different from ESTP.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

Also, she doesn't sound like an ESTJ. Sounds like an ISFx.

Are you positive PT? The reason I asked if people act differently around her when at work from the way they do outside of work was for one of two reasons.

A. To call into question your knowledge of her type. Seems like you were basing your analysis entirely on how she acted at work, with only bits and pieces of her home life. People act pretty differently at work than they do in their leisure time. Especially if they're someone's boss. For this reason, people act differently around them in the respective environments.

B. If you didn't know the difference, then you didn't know the person for who she actually is, and instead know her job persona, which I already said, is very likely to be different from her actual one.

Whatever. I could be wrong.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually, come to think of it, ESTJ doesn't sound impossible. She does her extraverting (thinking in her case) while at work, and then at home she's introverted (sensing).

Works for me.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ

*Does the touchdown dance*

Are you positive PT? The reason I asked if people act differently around her when at work from the way they do outside of work was for one of two reasons.

A. To call into question your knowledge of her type. Seems like you were basing your analysis entirely on how she acted at work, with only bits and pieces of her home life. People act pretty differently at work than they do in their leisure time. Especially if they're someone's boss. For this reason, people act differently around them in the respective environments.

B. If you didn't know the difference, then you didn't know the person for who she actually is, and instead know her job persona, which I already said, is very likely to be different from her actual one.

No! My victory is at stake! No one shall challenge her ESTJness! (schemes for ways to assasinate any channelgers, than promptly forgets them.)

It would be useful to see where this result came from. However, based on my dad in particular, and other people also who display several versions of a type, it is reasonable that an ESTJ would spend a lot of time at home sitting around and doing stuff on the computer. (My dad, for comparison, fits ESTJ much better than anything else, yet still spends a lot of time doing stuff on a computer, and will happily sit down to watch a sports game, splurge on stuff occasionally, etc.). If this is the same sort of stuff that other people do and are expected to do, there isn't any reason the activities wouldn't have rubbed off on this person.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

Whatever. I could be wrong.

She took it for work, so yes, positive.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
A single dichotomy can cause very drastic change in temperament. ESTJ is really really different from ESTP.

Their function order might be completely different, but in practice they act fairly similarly. :) The amount of information given is not what I'd consider sufficient to accurately type someone, so I'm surprised that a lot of people got so close.

lastrailway

Their function order might be completely different, but in practice they act fairly similarly. :) The amount of information given is not what I'd consider sufficient to accurately type someone, so I'm surprised that a lot of people got so close.

That.
And, also, should the poll have been multiple rather than single choice, I might have chosen ESTJ as well.
Seriously, now, of the few information we had, she seemed more like an SP than an SJ. And we really had nothing positive about her being E over I.
Anyway, it was fun :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
That.
And, also, should the poll have been multiple rather than single choice, I might have chosen ESTJ as well.
Seriously, now, of the few information we had, she seemed more like an SP than an SJ. And we really had nothing positive about her being E over I.
Anyway, it was fun :D

I'm actually surprised as well. From the questions asked, I'm not sure why anyone picked E over I... and of course, the J/P thing was expected from the questions asked (her desk and such are very poor indicators of J/P, however asking about her filing, bookshelves, computer files, etc would all of been far more J.)

Originally I was hoping for about 2x as many questions but... ah well :D I do have more I could do but it doesn't really work without a lot more questions being asked.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
She took it for work, so yes, positive.

She took it for work? As in, she needed to take it to get hired, or you asked her to take it while at work?

It's important, because if it's the former, she may have lied to up her odds of being hired. Especially if she applied directly for the managerial position.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

I observe to the contrary. Not only to the contrary, but I've seen ESTPs and ESTJs acting very very differently. But then, I've also seen them acting similarly.

Without getting into too much analysis of any individual type, I'll say that there's certainly some overlap, but it should be noted that a single dichotomy can and usually does have drastic affect on behavior (otherwise the game would be impossible)

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
She took it for work? As in, she needed to take it to get hired, or you asked her to take it while at work?

It's important, because if it's the former, she may have lied to up her odds of being hired. Especially if she applied directly for the managerial position.

It's important even with the latter. I officially took the MBTI at 2 jobs. The first one I answered honestly because I was in a very comfortable work environment and didn't feel as though I'd be judged differently for being an introverted manager. At my second job, I purposely answered more extraverted and thinker answers because I felt as though my capabilities as a manager would be judged because of it - especially since I managed sales to an extent. Therefore, that job has me down in the books as an ENTJ - which I am totally not. I'm sure my performance contridicted my fake type, but I was honestly nervous to let on that I was an introverted feeler for fear my bosses would look at me as weak. Needless to say, I lasted in that job about a year before hitting my breaking point.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

She and her entire team took it as a pilot for investigating different instruments in the company. This was fairly recent (before her 5 years but sometime after 4 years).

I do find the arguments being thrown up interesting. Everyone is happy to type people at a distance and be comfortable with their own answers, and yet someone taking the full instrument, interviewed with it and then discussing it in a panel for use in the company is being questioned in terms of reliability. I typed her as an ESTJ as well, years in advance of this... but the reason is because she is steretypically so... the reason I chose her first is because she is extremely stereotypical because I knew these arguments would be used (as a stepping stone to typing the others I know). Her confidence levels are very high, she expresses nearly all traits and sub-domains and was solidly placed in that type by her, her co-workers and the clinician.

There was a point to all of this but I didn't get enough activity to get to that point... but perhaps this point is just as good. There is a huge bias in individual typing, both in how we gather information and then how we process it. It is vastly harder to correctly type someone than we think, although we can normally get the strongly expressed traits right (which, ironically, isn't the case here - quite the opposite... ), even if (or especially if) one has to seek the information rather than make a holistic opinion based on observation.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
This is a good game format Pt! Some day when I meet a professionally MBTI-tested person, I'll licence this format of yours and run my own show, on the same channel :)

I didn't read the answers with enough concentration so my guess was 3 letters off ;P

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
There was a point to all of this but I didn't get enough activity to get to that point... but perhaps this point is just as good. There is a huge bias in individual typing, both in how we gather information and then how we process it. It is vastly harder to correctly type someone than we think, although we can normally get the strongly expressed traits right (which, ironically, isn't the case here - quite the opposite... ), even if (or especially if) one has to seek the information rather than make a holistic opinion based on observation.

Heheh I agree for the most part. Doing this Q&A method I actually think typing is less accurate then if you were able to observe and get to know the person. I was expecting the results to be widely off actually. This is why I am surprised the largest group was only one letter off.

Perhaps our ability as a group to type people is actually a little better than the skeptics think, but not as good as the optimists think?