• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Subjectivity and Objectivity in Type

benos

MBTI Type
ISFP
First, I'd like to thank the forum owner (or owners) for a great forum and resource. I recently found Typologycentral when searching for the relationship between insecurity and Type.

I've been interested in and studied MBTI for about 30 years, every since I was first introduced to MBTI by a friend.

Some years ago I stumbled across this... Associating the qualities of Subjective ("S") or Objective ("O") with each of the sixteeen MBTI temperament categories helps me more easily understand behavior. For example:

E=O (Prefer being around people)
I=S (Prefer being by myself)

S=O (Aware of immediate environment)
N=S (Often in dreamland)

T=O (Decisions made objectively)
F=S (Decisions made subjectively)

J=O (Do what "should be" done)
P=S (Do what I feel like)

An "extreme" Temperament Type example may help the associations make sense. Take an INFP for example. Written with S's and O's, they're all Subjective: SSSS. With all mental and behavioral qualities subjective in nature, it's easy to understand why it's tough for them to live in a world run by Extroverts.

A slightly looser but similar relationship exists between Subjectivity and Objectivity and the 4 MBTI categories. The mental qualities - S,N,T,F - are more subjective in nature than the more outwardly oriented behavior qualities -E,I,J,P.

Writing the Types with S's and O's, it also helps me more quickly grasp a Type's tendencies by slightly rearranging the order of the four letter designations. Putting both mental qualities (S/N_T/F) first and the the two behavioral qualities (E/I_J/P) last, visually (formatting-wise), makes sense to me.

Considering the above, and re-writing an ENFJ with S/O's: SSOO (SN/SF/OE/OJ), makes the intuitive, feeling, outgoing, responsible planner's Temperament more obvious at a glance.

Make sense, thoughts?
benos

VagrantFarce

I think it was Lenore Thompson that described the extraverted functions as objective, and introverted functions as subjective - the idea being that extraverted reason and perception can be experienced by everyone, whereas introverted reason and perception is only experienced by the individual. It's a nice way of telling the difference between the extraverted and introverted forms of each function.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, Jung is the one who first associated introversion with "the subjective factor", and extraversion with "the objective factor". O/S has simply been extended to the other dichotomies (I'm not sure who associated T/F with it; may have also been Jung).

benos

MBTI Type
ISFP
That sounds like this: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ces/10920-thought-objective-2.html#post417057 (my idea) you're thinking of. (Though I had reduced it to three letters for each function, omitting J/P, and put them together into a new six letter code consisting of only S/O).

I came upon the S/O realization about 10 years ago. At that time I had been interested in MBTI for about 20 years. For most of that time, I felt something was "missing" from everything I'd read. (Never read Jung.) The when the S/O relationship hit me, I realized that's what I'd been looking for.

Then shortly later, since subject and object define each other, I realized neither exists (apart from its opposite). Which, whle searcing for post titles containing subjective or objective, I found echoed here. But still, for understanding behavior, the S/O approach is helpful.
benos