• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

People who just HAVE to be nice piss me off

MBTI Type
INFP
This is one of my pet peeves. Some people who are very close to me do this, and it secretly annoys me to no end. It might sound odd to complain about such a positive trait, but let's be honest here.

For example, if you aren't feeling well or aren't in the most talkative of moods, this person will ask "Are you okay?" When you say that you're fine, the person repeats the question and tries to pry any information possible regarding your current state.

While I appreciate the concern, in the end, what good does it do to ask? If I have the flu and feel horrible, no matter how many times you say you are sorry I feel bad, or ask what you can do to make me feel better, or ask if I need anything, it won't help. If I'm sick or depressed or feeling down, I usually like to sit quietly and deal with things on my own. If I need help in some way, shape, or form, I will ask for it.

I would assume that this is somewhat of an FJ thing, for obvious reasons. Not to put anyone down.

It's interesting, but if a T does something nice for me, it sometimes feels more genuine than if an F does it. If a T logically thinks through things and figures that I might benefit from something, I think that's a big deal. Don't get me wrong, many Fs are very good, heartfelt people. But sometimes it seems like they are acting on impulses that they can't help. Sure, they're just trying to be nice, but that's sometimes all they can think about. When someone who isn't driven by emotions does something nice for me there's an element of sincerity in it (of course, sometimes the T is just doing it because he or she realizes it's beneficial in the long run for himself :devil:).

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
i don't get it

are u just saying fake nice people annoy you?

yeah, when they exude that plastic-ness when they are nice... there could be worse things though

but yeah, maybe its cus they are wearing a gurdle or something

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't hover with sick people. I do what I can to make them as comfortable as possible, then I want them to shut up and leave me the heck alone. It's frustrating to feel so helpless and I get really impatient.

My poor son had an ear infection a few weeks ago and after I'd done everything I could for him he kept moaning until I was about to go crazy. I finally told him to either stop it or go someplace where I couldn't hear him. I felt like a terrible person, but I just can't take that kind of thing.

So how 'bout when someone who is driven by emotions tells you to STFU? LOL

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The intrusive niceness sounds like kindness without understanding or empathy. Also, not taking someone at their word can feel like some kind of disrespect.

I think that can come from people who feel responsible for the outcome of the other person. They are afraid of not helping and then being blamed for it. Probably people have either done that to them, or they are modeling their behavior after someone who was treated that way. Some people do push away help and then accuse the person of not helping. I usually try to reassure such people that they have already helped greatly, and it is appreciated. I might add that the alone time is an especially important help to me.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
The intrusive niceness sounds like kindness without understanding or empathy. Also, not taking someone at their word can feel like some kind of disrespect.

I think that can come from people who feel responsible for the outcome of the other person. They are afraid of not helping and then being blamed for it. Probably people have either done that to them, or they are modeling their behavior after someone who was treated that way. Some people do push away help and then accuse the person of not helping. I usually try to reassure such people that they have already helped greatly, and it is appreciated. I might add that the alone time is an especially important help to me.

I don't know toonia...it's not necessarily untrue kindness. It depends on the person. Some people feel cared for by the inquiry and don't view it as inappropriate at all. TBH, I don't think many people inquire about others, or maybe that's just where I'm from. Most people will walk by someone obviously anguished and keep their eyes straight in front of them. In settings where you come into more regular contact with another person I don't think it's intrusive to politely inquire if someone's OK, but you do have to let it rest if they don't want to go into it. Most people don't realize how much they wear their feelings on their faces and in their body language and most people do notice it.

But yes, I've found when some one is intrusively inquiring about my personhood I've found variations of this statement helpful:

"Yes, I'm not feeling well but I'll be OK. Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it."

In my experience, most people knock it off after that and if they're at all reasonable and it's done with minimal to no offense. By doing this you're acknowledging their concern about you and still maintaining your privacy. Extra bonus if you go up to them a few weeks after the fact and give them a light and breezy version of the outcome of their inquiry, i.e. "I'm feeling much better now."

If you feel like the person is inquiring out of pure nosiness instead of true concern then no follow up is necessary. Since most of this has happened to me with my coworkers and I don't want damaged relationships with people I have to see on a daily basis (sorry, my motivations for this are more pragmatic in nature) I tend to do follow-up.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
I dislike it when someone that I don't know very well asks me how I'm doing when I'm not feeling well. It feels like they're trying to irritate me by being intruding. It feels like they knowingly put me in an awkward situation where I either have to lie that I'm feeling fine or tell them-- a stranger to me-- that I'm not feeling well, or be impolite and not reply.

Reminds me of a time when a man who had asked for my help in a computer class suddenly asked me how high my socks go up the thigh. :shock: And he asked it like it was ordinary small talk. *shivers*

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know toonia...it's not necessarily untrue kindness. It depends on the person. Some people feel cared for by the inquiry and don't view it as inappropriate at all. TBH, I don't think many people inquire about others, or maybe that's just where I'm from. Most people will walk by someone obviously anguished and keep their eyes straight in front of them. In settings where you come into more regular contact with another person I don't think it's intrusive to politely inquire if someone's OK, but you do have to let it rest if they don't want to go into it. Most people don't realize how much they wear their feelings on their faces and in their body language and most people do notice it.

But yes, I've found when some one is intrusively inquiring about my personhood I've found variations of this statement helpful:

"Yes, I'm not feeling well but I'll be OK. Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it."

In my experience, most people knock it off after that and if they're at all reasonable and it's done with minimal to no offense. By doing this you're acknowledging their concern about you and still maintaining your privacy. Extra bonus if you go up to them a few weeks after the fact and give them a light and breezy version of the outcome of their inquiry, i.e. "I'm feeling much better now."

If you feel like the person is inquiring out of pure nosiness instead of true concern then no follow up is necessary. Since most of this has happened to me with my coworkers and I don't want damaged relationships with people I have to see on a daily basis (sorry, my motivations for this are more pragmatic in nature) I tend to do follow-up.
It wasn't my intention to imply it was untrue kindness. I think kindness can be entirely sincere and not perceive what the other person actually needs. There might also be cases where the person needs the expression of concern even if they reject it. I think the feeling of responsibility for the outcome is often sincere as well. I doubt one statement applies across the possibilities.

I agree that being in a circumstance where there is too much concern expressed is a fortunate problem compared to what most people face.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
It wasn't my intention to imply it was untrue kindness. I think kindness can be entirely sincere and not perceive what the other person actually needs. There might also be cases where the person needs the expression of concern even if they reject it. I think the feeling of responsibility for the outcome is often sincere as well. I doubt one statement applies across the possibilities.

I agree that being in a circumstance where there is too much concern expressed is a fortunate problem compared to what most people face.

In my current situation I've encountered people who:
  • Don't care/ask anyway
  • Ask out of genuine concern
  • Don't care/don't ask
  • Care/don't ask

I've come to distinguish where people fall in the grouping over the last year.

The people that care but don't ask will quietly and unobtrusively come up to every now and again inquire and back off but I think the concern is apparent in their eyes. They tend to let things be.

The people that care and ask are more relational about it and try to show how they've been through similar circumstances. They tend to be more proactive in their concern, like giving you links to helpful websites or putting you in contact with people that may be able to help. It's not necessarily directly asking you about the details of the situation, but giving information because they've been through it.

Don't ask/don't care are obvious and I'm cool with those types believe it or not.

The don't really care but ask anyway are the opposite of the care and ask. They offer nothing, just want to know what's going on and feel somewhat parasitic. They're the type of take what you say and spread it around. An example from earlier this winter is one of my colleagues was out sick. Another colleague emailed her asking how she was doing. It was mentioned that she had the flu. The inquiring colleague then sent out an email to HR telling them the person had swine flu. That person didn't care really, they just wanted to know what they where sick with.

For me, I'm pretty adept and dodging personal questions I don't want to answer and I've got various scripts ready for any questions. But then I don't necessarily get irritated with people asking. It's like someone bumping into you in a crowded subway car, it's bound to happen no need in getting mad about it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reminds me of a time when a man who had asked for my help in a computer class suddenly asked me how high my socks go up the thigh. :shock: And he asked it like it was ordinary small talk. *shivers*

I wonder where he hangs out on Friday nights.

The don't really care but ask anyway are the opposite of the care and ask. They offer nothing, just want to know what's going on and feel somewhat parasitic. They're the type of take what you say and spread it around. An example from earlier this winter is one of my colleagues was out sick. Another colleague emailed her asking how she was doing. It was mentioned that she had the flu. The inquiring colleague then sent out an email to HR telling them the person had swine flu. That person didn't care really, they just wanted to know what they where sick with.

I tend to like these people the least of the four.

I am good with people who don't ask, regardless of whether they care or not, although I like the people who care but aren't pushy.

I even appreciate people who care, ask, and give general help based on their experiences.

However, the worst to me is what the OP noted: People who ask, who you give a cue to not pursue the matter further or not go deeper, and they insist on pushing into you anyway... usually because they have some sort of compulsion to help you in order to feel good/adequate about themselves. It's not really about me at all, it's about them.

They leave me feeling dirty.

MBTI Type
INFP
i don't get it

are u just saying fake nice people annoy you?

yeah, when they exude that plastic-ness when they are nice... there could be worse things though

but yeah, maybe its cus they are wearing a gurdle or something

No. Not my point at all.

toonia said:

There are definitely people like this. But I'm specifically thinking of those with genuine empathy, but they have no limits to the extroversion of their feelings. They legitimately care and love, but insist upon helping.

It's like if they see something wrong with someone they care about, all logic goes out the window and they have to offer comfort (sometimes 3 or 4 times) when it's not asked for, or offer little things that they feel would help.

It's not that I question whether or not they care. It just gets flat-out annoying.

toonia said:

Yes, it totally is. I agree, and sometimes I have to remind myself of this when I'm trapped with someone like the people I described.

proteanmix said:

Once I learn that someone is like this, I usually shoot a dirty look their way upon such an inquiry.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
.it's not necessarily untrue kindness. It depends on the person. Some people feel cared for by the inquiry and don't view it as inappropriate at all. TBH, I don't think many people inquire about others, or maybe that's just where I'm from.

I've experienced this myself, and I can say that I'm really pissed off by it as well. I simply feel disrespected - it's like assuming that I'm just too polite or shy to ask for help myself, which mostly isn't the case. Even if I don't feel fine, I can say "I'm fine, thanks" out of politeness instead of "Don't bother". And I wouldn't even say that in most cases it's out of false empathy or anything like that, - which can make it even more incomprehensible to the person that offers help.
When it happens, the person offering help has motivations I usually don't understand. And after all, helping and being helped is a mutual process that requires cooperation, which requies that each participant is willing - not just the person trying to help.
I'll just make it unmistakeably clear that I don't want to be helped, even if the effort is appreciated. But I need my privacy.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Quit picking on FJs. They already are well aware of how much they suck by know. Geez Typ0C...you really are a heartless bunch...

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see a rant against FJs in here.

Anastar

This is one of my pet peeves. Some people who are very close to me do this, and it secretly annoys me to no end. It might sound odd to complain about such a positive trait, but let's be honest here.

For example, if you aren't feeling well or aren't in the most talkative of moods, this person will ask "Are you okay?" When you say that you're fine, the person repeats the question and tries to pry any information possible regarding your current state.

While I appreciate the concern, in the end, what good does it do to ask? If I have the flu and feel horrible, no matter how many times you say you are sorry I feel bad, or ask what you can do to make me feel better, or ask if I need anything, it won't help. If I'm sick or depressed or feeling down, I usually like to sit quietly and deal with things on my own. If I need help in some way, shape, or form, I will ask for it.

I would assume that this is somewhat of an FJ thing, for obvious reasons. Not to put anyone down.

It's interesting, but if a T does something nice for me, it sometimes feels more genuine than if an F does it. If a T logically thinks through things and figures that I might benefit from something, I think that's a big deal. Don't get me wrong, many Fs are very good, heartfelt people. But sometimes it seems like they are acting on impulses that they can't help. Sure, they're just trying to be nice, but that's sometimes all they can think about. When someone who isn't driven by emotions does something nice for me there's an element of sincerity in it (of course, sometimes the T is just doing it because he or she realizes it's beneficial in the long run for himself :devil:).

Have you tried talking to your "friends" about your "problem?" If you're really feeling like you want to be left alone because you are not in the mood to talk, why not say so? Why is there such a need to complain about how others express their devotion to you? Many are not so lucky to have friends with such admirable traits. How about this? Count your blessings and stop bitching about how your friends care about you too much.