• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI = joke?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah this system which has helped tons of people with human interactions, and has helped tons of people understand themselves is a joke.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The concept, and applying the concept is not a joke,

But over-fucking-analyzing every fucking possible tiny detail imaginable that can possibly be examined with MBTI is a joke.

But more seriously, this forum is full of highly intelligent people that need to look at MBTI more conceptually than concretely.

We make Typology, Typology doesn't make us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And this thought scares you?
No. I am implying that one who has done a good deal of research would have more accurate results.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And this thought scares you?

You are really trying hard here. You've already gotten your answer. Nobody is "scared" by the possibility that MBTI is unscientific or unverifiable; we're all well aware that it's both of these things.

Once again, personality type can't be tested. Typology is a bunch of arbitrary categorizations of behavioral tendencies and that's all. As I always say, I can't prove that I'm an ENTP any more than I can "prove" that Led Zeppelin was a rock band. It's just a made up label for categorization purposes.

A-I

MBTI Type
INFP
No I'm implying the idea must scare you somehow, since you obviously base a great deal of your imagination on this subject, right down to your ego, to your understanding of yourself and other people. That fear is channeled into the hostility I'm seeing. Hostility with or without silly remarks is just the same. So why be scared? I'm criticizing MBTI in this thread, I'm not attacking you.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No I'm implying the idea must scare you somehow, since you obviously base a great deal of your imagination on this subject, right down to your ego, to your understanding of yourself and other people. That fear is channeled into the hostility I'm seeing. Hostility with or without silly remarks is just the same. So why be scared? I'm criticizing MBTI in this thread, I'm not attacking you.

I don't feel attacked; I feel irritated that you're not listening to the answer.

Nobody actually thinks MBTI's "test" is scientifically valid.

Most people on the forum consider personality types as arbitrarily made up labels that can't be empirically tested or proven.

End of story. I can only explain this so many times.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
EDIT: You were talking to SW. My fail. Same still goes, your being stupid.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
The part I'd label a joke is the idea that someone's personality type cannot change. I've heard this many times, and it strikes me as garbage every time. So I just ignore parts like that and focus on the parts that are useful to me.

And several aspects have been useful to me, in understanding myself and others, so that's all I care about.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think the main point is that criticizing MBTI is a fairly futile idea. Sure a lot of thought has gone into its creation. And sure you can find use for it. But it's still not something physical. We all have a brain, we all use it differently. MBTI just attempts to map the various methods in which we use our brains. Noting peoples strengths and weaknesses and create a scale on which we then can test people fairly accuratly to give more accurate advice, specifically exploiting peoples strengths and weaknesses. And that research has come up with names. Eight cognative functions and 16 types.

It's not precise, it's not absolute. You can criticize it all you want, but it'll be futile. It is what it is, and nothing is going to change about that.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's funny how people say that MBTI has no evidence of existing, and yet here we all are. We are all obviously different; and one of the 16 personality types generally fits everyone. The evidence is in the people... the people of the world. That's the evidence. How else do you study social science? One could just simply write off all social science on the same grounds of MBTI. It's observed through a different lens that MBTI is observed in, but you use the same eyes to identify social science principals and MBTI principals (with a different lens for MBTI).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's funny how people say that MBTI has no evidence of existing, and yet here we all are. We are all obviously different; and one of the 16 personality types generally fits everyone. The evidence is in the people... the people of the world. That's the evidence. How else do you study social science? One could just simply write off all social science on the same grounds of MBTI. It's observed through a different lens that MBTI is observed in, but you use the same eyes to identify social science principals and MBTI principals (with a different lens for MBTI).

Ofcourse everyone fits one personality type. It's been made to fit all people.

I bet if you do some more research, you can split each of the types into 2 more types and create 32 types.

In fact, if you want you can simply simplify it and think of two types in which everyone fits. Introvert and Extravert. Gasp, only two types and everyone fits in there!

That's how it works. It's all thought up and it's made to work.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ofcourse everyone fits one personality type. It's been made to fit all people.

I bet if you do some more research, you can split each of the types into 2 more types and create 32 types.

In fact, if you want you can simply simplify it and think of two types in which everyone fits. Introvert and Extravert. Gasp, only two types and everyone fits in there!

That's how it works. It's all thought up and it's made to work.

Exactly. It's great. Getting more specific would be cool. In socionics there are 32 personality types; 16 main ones, and two subtypes for each.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly. It's great. Getting more specific would be cool. In socionics there are 32 personality types; 16 main ones, and two subtypes for each.

Yeah, but what I mean with existing or not existing is that MBTI is made to exist. It was not inherently present. Without going too philosophical about existance (because then we'd be busy for years to come), more simply put is that it means it isn't science or physical. It's all man made. It exists because we created it.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

I think a lot of people have been doing this informally by combining MBTI and enneagram results. The combo describes me better than my MBTI type alone.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, but what I mean with existing or not existing is that MBTI is made to exist. It was not inherently present. Without going too philosophical about existance (because then we'd be busy for years to come), more simply put is that it means it isn't science or physical. It's all man made. It exists because we created it.

Yes I understand you. These sorts of theories are the best kind, fit to reality and work within reality.

Snow Turtle

There's something about society that if it can't be scientifically measured, that it there must be no validity.

I like MBTI. It is valid in my eyes since there are correlations. Many ISFJs I know share the same Si/Fe described sort of behaviour. It captures part of my personality.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, it actually is. It's a practical joke gone too far.

Mole

Permabanned
Child Abuse

Facts to back up my conclusion, mostly from wikipidea which as we all know, is the truth.

^ I was believing this whole charade / guessing-game, until I saw the words 'develop' followed by a female name. And to top it off, some included offspring of the same gender. Doesn't make any sense.

^ More contradictions. One must not understand the world is round to know the world is round.

^ Another quote that describes this "system" very well.

^ Forced-choice? Who else does that shit. Scientologists, really bad shrinks like Briggs, Elton John and maybe even war-criminals.

^ Moderately successful, indeed.

^ I don't think the same applies for DISC. At least DISC doesn't try to be something else than what it is.

Discuss

Of course you are completely right. And it helps to know the history. For Mrs Myers and her daughter, Mrs Briggs, two village astrologers, plagiarised MBTI from Carl Jung's book, "Personality Types".

And worse, Carl Jung's book, "Personality Types", was based on no empirical evidence whatsoever.

However Mrs Myers and her daughter, Mrs Briggs struck it rich and struck it big when the military machine of the USA adopted MBTI during WW II to induct women into the war machine.

And USA business seeing how successful MBTI was in controlling recruits adopted it to control employees.

So since WW II we have had the two most powerful groups in the USA adopting and promoting MBTI.

But we remember that in his last speech before leaving office, President Eisenhower, perhaps one of the USA's most successful Presidents, warned us of the dangerous power of, in his words, "the Military Industrial Complex". The very Complex that uses and promotes MBTI throughout the world.

The Military Industrial Complex of the USA is probably the single most powerful group in the world and has turned MBTI into a popular global cult.

And this site contributes to the cult by recruiting school children.

Some are surprisingly young - wannabe 15 year olds who are probably 11, 12 or 13.

So we have overwhelming power preying on school children.

This is called child abuse.