• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type is the school underachiever?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What a load of shit.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Holy shit. You studied for 8.15 hours a day??? The fuck? I don't study that much for an entire semester combined.

Ahah, well it depends on the exam, for complex maths exams that was necessary, yes, especially when homework was involved.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I was probably underachieving for my skills at school (don't know how you can say it without letting it look like an indirect self-praise? :D). The thing is grades are to a very big part determined simply by quantity of active participation in class. You can have good grades in exams (and I mostly had, only sometimes when I was too lazy I had only average grades, rarely very bad ones) and may be chosen to participate passively (heh) and give good answers, but end up still with the same or a worse grade than someone who talks only crap (but a lot, actively) and has average grades in exams. I also often didn't do my homework but that again had somehow no impact on your grades anyway.

However, I didn't care too much about grades in the later years. They were also not relevant for my future, because I didn't need better grades than I had for studying. In my study right now I am mostly limited by laziness and some exams where virtually everyone gets at best an average grade if he passes because the exams are very hard or very short on time for the amount of things to do. But my grades are going in an ok'ish direction I think overall (especially the trend is good, since in the latest exams I did overall very very good). No grades for participation in class ;)

edit: With underachieving I mean I could have better grades. It is not like I did bad at school (at least not to a degree that I would be in any time in danger).

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think INTPs do great during school, since there is a huge variety of disciplines and there's always something different to learn, so boredom becomes less of a problem. On college, however....:uwin:
I'm not gonna brag about my accomplishments though. :cool:

R

Riva

At op -

Though out of this world and oblivious at times (most times) xNFPs are the most brilliant of all types academically. I believe there was a survey done and xNFPs came on top. I have a INFP cousin who is brilliant. Just brilliant. She is out of this world academically. At med school infact. She became the island 72nd as I recall. Though not as socially clever, manipulative, charming as I (ENTPs). ;)

Infact the reason given at the OP are the exact reasons why that particular type would be really good at school.

Introversion - may provide an ability to concentrate & not get distracted by social stuff (ie. talking in class). May be more likely to spend time alone to study/read.

Ne - grasps theory very well, sees patterns, enjoys new ideas, is creative

Fi - has a strong value system, albeit detached from the external standards. May or may not value traditional education. This probably has the most bearing on whether an INFP chooses to make the effort. Fi is also a rational cognitive function which evaluates and reasons. That makes it has a lot of potential for critical thinking skills so useful in an academic setting.

INFPs are also over-represented in colleges and universities according to some studies (can't find the link, sorry), so it seems they do well enough to pursue higher education & to be accepted there.

Personally, school was a breeze for me & I had excellent grades. I might have "under-achieved" in that I slacked because I got bored, but I still did much better than most of my schoolmates. College was also pretty easy, and I enjoyed it a lot more.

*Agrees*

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My class' valedictorian is an INTP with like six million service hours and a resume that would bring an admissions officer to tears, soooooooooo :whistling:

The ExTPs I know are the ones who tend not to give a damn. But then again, work ethic is almost all in the upbringing.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
From my personal experience:

Fi = What's the point? Why should I bother?
Se = Desperately staring out the window at freedom
Ni = Random ideas that aren't easily verbalised or applied to anything

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
wow you're really an arse. you know what, before i read your thoughts, off the top of my head i was just thinking ESTP. and guess what? it's actually your type.

Which type would be the least likely to get high grades or perform as well as inherent abilities should suggest?

INFP?

I= not participating
N= no common sense
F= overly sensitive and emotional and tear-clouded judgment
P= lazy slobs

Or maybe INTPs, since they're the same as above except their "T" is more worried about Star Wars, RAM drives and tantric philosophy than academics, and they seem like smartasses.

No offense of course. :hug: I can see someone coming at me with a derogatory ESTJ letter breakdown. lol (But don't do that, focus on my question.)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the only correlation I can draw is a loose correlation with SP

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
wow you're really an arse. you know what, before i read your thoughts, off the top of my head i was just thinking ESTP. and guess what? it's actually your type.

wow you're really overdramatic. I was being half facetious. And I wrote that nearly two years ago.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
lets see.

I would look at the curriculum, the material being taught and determine which Personality has THE least interest in learning. if one personality has little interest in most the material in school, than I would have to go with that.