• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The mystic power of Intuition

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Both here and in the 'outside' world, there are some ideas about intuition which - in my opinion - don't fit reality. I've written already a few scattered reactions to it, but I think it's time for an overall post about it.

:soapbox:

Let me first present those ideas. I'm going to present them in an exaggerated, extreme way, to make clear what I'm talking about.
"Intuitives are gifted people. Reality is all interconnected and they are able to see those connections. They are spiritual people unlike the lowly (sensor) masses."

Intuition is not better than sensing. If I say it this way, probably everybody would agree. But still, I have this impression (intuition? :)) that people want to belong to the "gifted" intuitor group...

Reality is not all interconnected. Face it. There are some universal laws governing reality - but intuition doesn't see those laws.
Intuition creates connections: right and wrong ones, useful and useless ones. Sometimes intuition hits on an universal law, most of the time it's just seeing the virgin Mary in a cloud.

You've got to test the theories. Are people born in January really more intelligent than others? Use statistics. Test those people. Use the real facts - the Sensor facts - to see whether your idea fits reality or not.

I'm an Intuitive and proud of it. But it's not a mystic power.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
I think I heard more about intuition in the documentary Kymatica. Just like that.

The way I say reality is, is what I say is reality. That makes it reality :).

I was born in the Summer.

I am an introvert, and proud of it.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
reality is just something some weirdo made up. You're all being lied to!

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Reality is what persists regardless who believes in it.
You can imagine yourself flying all what you want, you won't be able to displace your body with it.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
reality is just something some weirdo made up. You're all being lied to!

We have to be lying to ourselves in the process.

You can imagine yourself flying all what you want, you won't be able to displace your body with it.

We rely on our physical organs to ascertain the existence and limitations of our bodies. There is no objective measure of reality that we have access to.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
To me, it isn't about thinking further, either... it's about thinking differently. "Thinking further" has this nuance of being better/more evolved/more spiritual somehow. And that's precisely the image I want to fight against.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Reality is not all interconnected. Face it. There are some universal laws governing reality - but intuition doesn't see those laws.
Intuition creates connections: right and wrong ones, useful and useless ones. Sometimes intuition hits on an universal law, most of the time it's just seeing the virgin Mary in a cloud.

Wanna bet?

Which is to say, I assert you are talking about extroverted intuition (and its teaspoon of introverted sensing angst) more than "intuition" per se.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intuition in the traditional sense of the word is quite different from the MBTI iNtuitive.

The ability to respond quickly without linear analysis can be applied to either concrete or abstract information. A firefighter who can react instantly to the changing demands of a fire can act intuitively in the world of Sensing by holding a mass of impressions about how that world operates and all the inherent cause and effects and details that come into play. The iNtuitive can negotiate the world of ideas in a similar way forming connections and having a concept of the whole held in their mind.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
lol

I'm a member of an astrology group that attracts a fair few mystics/intuatives.

Mysics do call themselves intuatives but in terms of them being mystics, most, almost all... certianly in urban areas, are pretty much full of shit. :D

I'm not saying that I havn't come across people who do seem to have a gift but they are very few and far between and generally not London based....

Ok Intuatives to me are just different than sensors... not better nor worse just different.

Intuatives tend to be more within the category of space cadett, they are in their heads a lot more.

In terms of their giftedness, I beleive they pick up more in the presence in a room than the average S type. They pick up the vibes, the very slight difference sin body langauge, intonation, lots of subtle non verbal and verbal clues within their environment and people that they seem to be able to SEE more... but in actual fact they are just very switched onto information that is much more subtle than S types pick up on.

I was in a business meeting a could of years back... and I knew the split of the room between S type and N types... it was about 5 S types 4 N types.... during the meeting it was clear to me that the N types were talking about the subject using non verbals and picking up on the non verbal table talk. The S types were totally oblivious to it and being very Look at Me esque failing to pick up on the non verbal discussion. It was highly amusing to me... because it all happend with looks, and very minor gestures without a word beign spoken.

I beleive N types just see different information

sculpting

Intuition is not better than sensing. If I say it this way, probably everybody would agree. But still, I have this impression (intuition? :)) that people want to belong to the "gifted" intuitor group...

You've got to test the theories. Are people born in January really more intelligent than others? Use statistics. Test those people. Use the real facts - the Sensor facts - to see whether your idea fits reality or not.

hehe, we are sensor retards honestly. Not sure if we are actually any better or worse, just different. I love my ISTJ friends.

Now-for the connections and testing-that's NeTi talking. I get lectured endlessly by all of EXTPs. I make an intuitive Ne leap. The ESTPs cant see the leap at all. The ENTPs can see it but get really ansy. Without a Ti dataset they dont trust the leap.

NeFiTe frees me from needing data honestly. I connect shit endlessly. Is it correct?

I'd say I have a 20% fail, 60% common sense, and 20% genius connectivity rate. That's for the actual real connections of value, not the hysterical insane connections that make us ENFPs so funny around NTPs. We have tons of those to.

I can tag team the connections with some Te and create meta structures. I just keep editing as more and more connections come in and the idea solidifies. Over the course of a week I can drastically alter an idea as it "circles the drain" so to speak and gets more and more Te edits and Ne connections.

However-the downside-the 20% error rate isnt always acceptable. It is very "foggy" and imprecise. 20% error in theoretical physics or math is unacceptable. 20% error in strategic marketing or psychology-innately fuzzy areas-is pretty damn good. I am utterly superb at troubleshooting. I dont get tied to the details.

In terms of their giftedness, I beleive they pick up more in the presence in a room than the average S type. They pick up the vibes, the very slight difference sin body langauge, intonation, lots of subtle non verbal and verbal clues within their environment and people that they seem to be able to SEE more... but in actual fact they are just very switched onto information that is much more subtle than S types pick up on.

be cautious-my ESTPs are exceptional at nonverbal communication and much better at noticing even the slightest physical change. ENTPs are good too, but not as good as the ESTPs. My ENTP says "its what isnt said that is important" ENFPs cant hear the unspoken or subtle but we pick up on kinesthetic variants signaling stress or a lack of understanding. We can meta map the conversation via NeTe and identify areas where "bumps" of nonunderstanding or agreement took place.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

nah meng, reality is just incredibly consistent which makes people believe it is real, all I know is that these signals inside of me exist (but where am I, really? if I myself am aiming for consistency it could be that I am only a sentient nerve ending at the end of some huge central brain/collective being and all I know consists of images projected outward so I think what I'm experiencing is real). All I'm saying is cinnamon can help regulate your blood sugar levels. Everything is true, nothing is permitted etc. etc.