• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mixed preferences and the 8 functions...

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
What happens, when one or more of the four dichotomies are borderline or at the very least closely matched, to the eight functions?

Example:
An friend of mine who I believe is an INFJ (she is my confidante after all) is registering as an INTJ. She does not have a strong affinity towards either Te or Fe, which leads me to wonder.

If an INFJ’s T is strong, does that mean Te is exerted more, or would she spend less time engaging in Fe and more time with Te? The order of operations is important, but what if that order is not clearly defined. What are the general effects?

Also, this isn’t a matter of typing a particular person, it’s a general function question.

VagrantFarce

The trick is to stop relying on the 4 dichotomies (I/E, N/S, F/T, J/P), since they're actually not that reliable. :) The types are defined by their function makeup, and therefore it's the functions that matter at the end of the day. The 4 dichotomies are just a way to make the system accessible and to have a convenient naming convention for the 16 types. :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's to go back to just four functions, and a dominant orientation.
If the person is wavering between INTJ and INFJ, then what we know most likely is that they are primarily an intuitive introvert.
The auxiliary will be either Thinking or Feeling, and apparently, it is possible for them to have a cloudy preference like that.

So is is functions, but when you strip them of the "attitudes", they can act like dichotomies. Either way, Pi/Je is a left-brained type, and between Te and Fe, whichever one is "really" preferred; the other one will be the left-brain alternative. From there, we can then try to use the archetypes to see what roles either function play. One will tend to fill a "parental" role, while the other will be a deceiver or comedian. It still may be hard to tell, if the shadow function is strong, as it may seem possibly preferred, and they won't be conscious of the negative connotation it carries. (My wife is this way with both Se and Te, but it's clear that Fe is the dominant, and Ne is the more innocent, childlike tertiary).